Bomb Patrol - Afghanistan

Bomb Patrol - Afghanistan

This is a discussion on Bomb Patrol - Afghanistan within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone had a chance to catch G4's new Bomb Patrol Afghanistan show? I think it premiered a week ago but I haven't had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bomb Patrol - Afghanistan

Question Bomb Patrol - Afghanistan

Has anyone had a chance to catch G4's new Bomb Patrol Afghanistan show? I think it premiered a week ago but I haven't had a chance to take a look.

I have nothing but respect for those guys...

Gonna have to look for it and set the DVR,It takes a lot of dedication courage and a touch of insanity to try to defuse something that you will have about 1/10 second to think OOOOOPS I cut the wrong wire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That's one job where your work gets up close and personal. You don't get to make even one mistake!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I wonder what his reaction was...

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post

Don't know, but tomorrow it will be his turn!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post

Someone got his butt kicked!

As to the program, all I'll say after seeing one show is that it's better than Hurt Locker, or at least more realistic. I'm still amazed that these days EOD talks to the media, when I was active duty we avoided them... Seemed a lot safer that way.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've got 2 episodes on DVR, need to start watching.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    As I'm sure rstickle will agree, the vast majority of devices are not "disarmed," but are blown in place or otherwise rendered safe through means other than "cutting the red wire." I haven't seen the show, but I did sniper overwatch and ballistic disruption support for our EOD team in Afghanistan (Estonians, actually), and of all the devices we found, there was never once a "cut the red wire" moment. Just lots and lots (and lots) of C4.
    tts likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    caught part of it last night, not a job I want.

I have a lot of respect for those guys

Semperfi

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    As I'm sure rstickle will agree, the vast majority of devices are not "disarmed," but are blown in place or otherwise rendered safe through means other than "cutting the red wire." I haven't seen the show, but I did sniper overwatch and ballistic disruption support for our EOD team in Afghanistan (Estonians, actually), and of all the devices we found, there was never once a "cut the red wire" moment. Just lots and lots (and lots) of C4.
    We always cut the red wire! (It's in the movies so it must be true!) Beside with those big red numbers counting backwards, we always knew when to run!

Usually when we can the idea is to take care of a suspect device in the way that is safest for all concerned. That is usually some method of remote disruption. There was a thing called a category "A" incident where we became very expendable.
    Rick

In Afghanistan, our techs generally blew in place. In Iraq, they would try to disassemble more often. Of course, the IED's in Iraq were generally more complex, and the Iraqi courts like forensic evidence, like fingerprints.

I watched some of the show, looked pretty real to me from what I saw.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I've heard this same thing from an EOD buddy. He also said sometimes they freeze electronic components (timers) to render them inert -- I thought that was pretty clever.

Watched episode 2 tonight.It is pretty realistic,they were clearing a section of roadway and it took them all day to cover a few hundred yards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'll watch that one tomorrow. It's available in the iTunes store for anyone who isn't recording it.

I can't imagine the stress of that job.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tts View Post
    He also said sometimes they freeze electronic components (timers) to render them inert -- I thought that was pretty clever.
    And it's those kind of comments that used to keep EOD Techs well away from the press. There have been at least two instances (both involving Police Bomb Disposal) where something was reported by the media and the bomber made changes that cost an EOD Tech dearly!

I was really surprised to fine out that these days the press is embedded with EOD units, that's really scary to me. (Not to mention that's how Hurt Locker came about.)
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links