S.W.A.T. team kills mental handicapped

This is a discussion on S.W.A.T. team kills mental handicapped within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man killed in SWAT standoff near St. Albans* - Breaking News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - I wasn't there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. team kills mental handicapped

S.W.A.T. team kills mental handicapped

Man killed in SWAT standoff near St. Albans* - Breaking News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

I wasn't there and I dont know the details but the news media has printed enough to make this look like excessive force to take a mans life when just armed with a knife against a S.W.A.T. team . However if I were attacked by a BG with a knife I'd drop him too.

2. Remove Ads

Absolutely agreed. A knife is a deadly weapon. As the above post says I was not there, I do not know the variables, but do wonder why a taser might not have been deployed.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Good shoot, unfortunate but justified.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sd976 View Post
    Absolutely agreed. A knife is a deadly weapon. As the above post says I was not there, I do not know the variables, but do wonder why a taser might not have been deployed.
    Possibly because using non-lethal force against a lethal threat might not work out well?

Unfortunate BUT,mentally handicapped people are usually unpredictable,very strong,and have no general concept of their actions,and the media also was'nt in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Possibly because using non-lethal force against a lethal threat might not work out well?
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. To me tasers are a force that should only be used against an attacker with a weapon less capable of a taser i.e. bare-fisted, kitchen fork, etc.

If a S.W.A.T. or any other form of LEO or even civilian faces a threat of a deadly weapon, I have no problem with them using a more deadly weapon to defend themselves.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Administrator
    Nothing to see here, move along.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We just lost a New Castle County Police Officer due to a knife strike to the neck. If they have a knife, they might just as well have a gun.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Is there another article that I'm missing? Because the one I read said that he was mentally unstable, but there was nothing at all to indicate that he was mentally handicapped. Kind of a big difference...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Deadly threats are like being pregnant. You can be just a little of either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Sorry Chad, it is our policy, when possible, when using a less lethal device like a taser, to have another officer ready to use lethal force if necessary. Ever been hit with a taser?

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. To me tasers are a force that should only be used against an attacker with a weapon less capable of a taser i.e. bare-fisted, kitchen fork, etc.

If a S.W.A.T. or any other form of LEO or even civilian faces a threat of a deadly weapon, I have no problem with them using a more deadly weapon to defend themselves.
    As I said, I have no problem with the shoot, just a comment. Sounds like a good shoot, personally (bearing in miond that I was not there and do not know all the details)I think I would have opted to go to a taser first. Just me.

Quote Originally Posted by sd976 View Post
    As I said, I have no problem with the shoot, just a comment. Sounds like a good shoot, personally (bearing in miond that I was not there and do not know all the details)I think I would have opted to go to a taser first. Just me.
    In an instance involving an assailant with any non projectile weapon, I can see an officer opting for a taser over a firearm, but would not fault that officer if they chose the firearm instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nothing to see here, move along.
    Sound like a StormTrooper from Star Wars... Only thing missing was the squelch keying in...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Where does it say that the man was "mentally handicapped"? The article only says that he was "mentally unstable": "… A man reported to be mentally unstable had barricaded himself in a bedroom on the second floor and was refusing to communicate with a deputy on the scene …"

"Mentally handicapped" and "mentally unstable" are two different things.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links