What are the odds of dying from...

This is a discussion on What are the odds of dying from... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Natl. Safety Council released their " odds of dying " study for the year 2011...... My attention initially focused on the 'gun' odds, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What are the odds of dying from...

The Natl. Safety Council released their "odds of dying" study for the year 2011......

My attention initially focused on the 'gun' odds, but the whole thing is kinda intresting. The study is broken down on the graph in the link.
    Attached Files
    torgo1968 likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks for sharing! Sadly more sensationalism over accidential discharge 1/6,309 or assault by firearm 1/306 vs Heart disease 1/6, cancer 1/7, stroke 1/28 and motor vehicle accidents 1/88
    Hopyard and torgo1968 like this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Sadly more sensationalism over accidential discharge 1/6,309 or assault by firearm 1/306 vs Heart disease 1/6, cancer 1/7, stroke 1/28 and motor vehicle accidents 1/88
    ....... or just 'plain-ol' falling down (1 in 171). Go figure.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

What, no death by Chi-Chi?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

The bad thing is this number doesn't break out the shootings that are bad guy shooting bad guy, accidental, good guy shooting bad, and bad guy shooting good guy.

Those are the numbers I'd like to see.
    thephanatik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The bad thing is this number doesn't break out the shootings that are bad guy shooting bad guy, accidental, good guy shooting bad, and bad guy shooting good guy.

Those are the numbers I'd like to see.
    I'm pretty sure the folks putting out these statistics do not see the difference. To them the person behind the firearm is irrelevant. It is the weapon itself that is the cause.

Michael
    atctimmy and thephanatik like this.

Look at the top of the page... those are figures from 2007....

But, I've been using that chart for a couple of years now, when I talk to antis. And explain to them that the odds of dying by handgun assault are about the same as having a reportable house fire... (which is about 1 in 314) And I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher.

Since dying in a firearms assault can happen everywhere, I carry. No, not a fire extiguisher, a BG extinguisher.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    They ought to put the odds of "winning the lottery" on that chart for comparison.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    They ought to put the odds of "winning the lottery" on that chart for comparison.
    Power Ball odds: 1 in 195,249,054 probably wouldn't even make a period sized dot on that chart.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Look at the top of the page... those are figures from 2007....
    WHOooooa.... I didn't catch that! Their most recent study for 2010 just came out, I pulled that graph off their website while skimming the 2010 results.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    WHOooooa.... I didn't catch that! Their most recent study for 2010 just came out, I pulled that graph off their website while skimming the 2010 results.
    I would be interested to see how much of a difference between the stats three years would make.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

well ... our State stats show..... you are 20 X's more likely to be killed as a pedestrian, than riding a motorcycle. And you 200 x's more likely to die on a motorcycle than an ND, and about 10's less likely to be killed by a gun than being a pedestrian. It told me, I'm not "walking" anymore in the evening on the streets... I'll do it on my treadmill.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

So, what's the difference between Assault by Firearm and Firearms Discharge? I would think fatal Assaults by Firearm would be a subset of fatalities by Firearms Discharge. Yet, they show the lifetime odds of dying from Assaults by Firearm to be higher than from Firearms Discharge. Also, it's interesting that they don't have a category for Assault of all types -- the odds would have to be higher than Assault by Firearm. Either their political bias is showing through, there must be something really, really special about dying by firearm, or their category definitions are screwy. Apparently, you have to pay $100 to find out the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Unisaw View Post
    So, what's the difference between Assault by Firearm and Firearms Discharge? I would think fatal Assaults by Firearm would be a subset of fatalities by Firearms Discharge.
    One thing to keep in mind when thinking about these numbers. We're talking about deaths.. So that changes the whole picture. Firearms deaths are 1 in 6,309. So the anti's might say that you wouldn't be any more likely to need a gun to protect yourself than you would be likely to die in an airplane crash. But that number doesn't represent the number of people assaulted, or the number of people shot by a firearm but didn't die, or the number of people stabbed, or the number of people raped, or the number of people beat to a pulp. I've never seen any specific data, but I'd be willing to bet those numbers would be closer to 1 in 50, maybe less.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Too bad the anti's don't believe in 'facts'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links