Would never happen now.

This is a discussion on Would never happen now. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This why kids don't know how to handle guns. Gun Safety Class at an Indiana School, 1956 | HOW TO BE A RETRONAUT...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bigmacque
  • 1 Post By F350

Thread: Would never happen now.

Would never happen now.

This why kids don't know how to handle guns.
    Gun Safety Class at an Indiana School, 1956 | HOW TO BE A RETRONAUT

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well of course you won't see it now. Back then they didn't know that a gun would jump up, load itself and fire without being touched by human hands. Of course they didn't know about how vicious things like bicycles, roller skates, slingshots and baseballs were either. Now that they know, they have removed all of the fun things from life, in the name of safety.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's crazy. When I was in Jr. High, we actually had Archery in gym class. They stopped it the last year I was there because some bleeding hearts felt it was "inappropriate" to teach kids how to shoot a bow and arrow.

Recently here in Cabell Co. WV, a small minority of "parents" threw such a fit over playground stuff, like swings, slides that the Board of Education actually removed all of them from the Elementary Schools. They protested because it was too "dangerous" to allow kids to use them. That is until some one with a spine stood up to these "parents" and they put all the stuff back.

Stupid. Just plain stupid.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    When I was in Jr High my father marched my butt down to the local NRA affiliated gun club and had Mr. Johnson teach me gun safety, how to shoot, shooting from different positions, self-defense, appropriate use of a firearm, and a horde of other lessons that included a history of armament and why it was so important to our freedom.
    thephanatik likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

When I went to school in the 70s I remember seeing lots of guns, shotguns, 30-30 winchesters and such in gun racks in lots of trucks in the student parking lot, this was in a rural setting of course as you would not see this type of display in a city. teaching staff were more apt to compare the firearms of the students to their own.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I was taught by my stepfather. But, it's sad- these days, the WORD 'gun' gets you in trouble with school administration. I went to a more rural high school (much to my displeasure- for a number of reasons), and on more than one occasion I saw the guys who hunted telling a story about how they shot a deer get harassed by administration because he was 'aiming a weapon' at some kid who happened to be in front of him while he was telling about it.

'Zero tolerance=Zero intelligence'
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I was in elementary school in Indiana during the 60s and remember going through the gun safety class. I also went to a very rural Jr High and we would ride the buss in the morning wearing our hunting coats (the canvas ones with the game pouch and shell loops in the pockets) and carrying our shotguns which were left in the hall lockers. Then after school we would walk home through abandoned quarry land shooting rabbits, squirrels and quail on the way.

A buddy and I put up hay for his father the spring I was 14, with our pay we walked into town to Joann Stewart's gun shop and each bought an M-1 carbine package (gun, sling & oiler, bayonet & scabbard, double mag pouch that fit on the stock, 4 25 round mags and 500 rounds of ammo in bandoleers) strapped it all on and walked home through the downtown, past the police station and sheriffs department, across the courthouse lawn and no one gave us a second look.
    Devilsclaw likes this.

Just look how interested those kids where,they absolutely enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Recently here in Cabell Co. WV, a small minority of "parents" threw such a fit over playground stuff, like swings, slides that the Board of Education actually removed all of them from the Elementary Schools. They protested because it was too "dangerous" to allow kids to use them. That is until some one with a spine stood up to these "parents" and they put all the stuff back.
    This is something I can related to. I went to elementary school in the 1980's. Our playground had swings, monkey bars, see-saws, and some other neat things. For example, we had a bunch of old tires. We could stack them up and make little forts out of them, and the larger tires we'd actually get inside them and our classmates would roll the tire down a hill. We also had giant concrete pipes that were different sizes and painted different colors. We would play inside of them, help each other climb on top of them, etc. But it all ended on my first day of 5th grade. Almost all of the playground was gone. All that was left was the swings. All I remember hearing was that the school had to remove them because they were considered too dangerous. Recess was never the same again. I feel sad for kids today. All of their toys are so safe that they are no fun anymore.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I had hunters safety in 9th grade at school. Everyone had to take it. 1987-88 school year IIRC. We had archery classes in high school. ROTC had a shooting team. And when the wrestling team won our conference championship in 11th grade the coach told the team to bring "all the guns and knives you can get your hands on to school tomorrow for a picture." He did some version of the picture 4 years running. Opening day of deer season was almost a holiday, or at least a half day. I carried a pocket knife to school every day, and several of my teachers would ask to use it occasionally. A couple years ago the school expelled a kid for having a non functioning civil war relic pistol in his trunk. Although I think he made some threats too, the weapons charge was a bit bogus. A baseball bat would have been more effective.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links