9mm vs deer part 2

This is a discussion on 9mm vs deer part 2 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I really got lucky with this one. At first, it appeared that this morning would be a bust, so I took a chance and moved ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 9mm vs deer part 2

9mm vs deer part 2

I really got lucky with this one. At first, it appeared that this morning would be a bust, so I took a chance and moved my stand. About 10 am this buck walked by. It at first looked too young, so I was going to let it walk. But as it walked close by, I could see that it was a mature buck, and was going to be all it was going to be as far as rack. It had a huge body.

The load was a 147 weight Remington Golden Saber. The bullet did exit, but did not do any thing spectacular as far as exit wound. You can see that there is very little blood. This buck, did something that I have never had happen. After hit, it ran about 30 yards, then turned around and came back, did a half circle infront of my stand, and layed down and died. I call it the boomerang buck. This shot was at about 25 yards, give or take. The deer was elevated when hit, meaning it was on the upside of the hill my stand was located on.

Because there was very little blood, this would have put my tracking skill to the test if it had not come back. From the pic, you can see how thick the area is. Its worse when you are on the ground.

The chest cavity on a deer like this is very similar to what the human torso is like. Like I have said many times over, the results I have obtained with light weight handgun bullets on game like this has been everything from horrible to great. With the heavier bullet, it is pretty damn predictable, even with a mid caliber handgun cartridge. Results like this on live animals are why I prefer them.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

So do you think that the bullet expanded at all?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Very interesting...was it a bonded bullet? I've seen several YouTube video's on the GS non-bonded with jacket separation and limited expansion using test media.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Very cool. The 9mm will definitely do the job.

The biggest differences I'm noticing is that the .45 ACP yielded instant incapacitation/death whereas the 9mm took a little longer. I realize you didn't have a stop watch but if you were to guess, how long would you say it took the deer to run 30 yards, return and do a jig? A couple of minutes? Also, I'm wondering how the difference in bullet type had with these experiences. With the .45, you were using FMJ and with the 9mm, you were using JHP. Would you guess that you would've had a similar result with the 9mm if you had been using a FMJ? Just curious.

I realize that shot placement had a lot to do with the time it took each deer to die but each look like there was exceptional shot placement. Good job!

Thanks for sharing all of this with us. Looks like you guys are starting to fill up a freezer. :-)

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Nice shooting. Congrats on the deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Dang. Two deer in two days. I'm sure those fuzzy critters will be glad when your vacation is over!

Well, there goes Donner and Blitzen!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    This is a foreign concept to me, hunting deer with Glock... I shoot deer all the time that have been hit by cars, and will back up the findings of the op.
    "Just blame Sixto"

@glockman10mm - You are a fortunate man. Michigan's firearm season doesn't start until the 15th, so these pics are getting me salivating. I've never even considered taking deer with a handgun, but your posts are definite proof it can be done. Thank you sir.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, there goes Donner and Blitzen!
    He's ruining Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This is a foreign concept to me, hunting deer with Glock... I shoot deer all the time that have been hit by cars, and will back up the findings of the op.
    Hunting deer with Sig is more your style then?

Nice shooting G-man, glad to see you are stocking up your freezer. I am anxiously awaiting gun season up here, hoping I can snag one for myself.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'm not sure if the bullet expanded, to answer a question. Also, to answer another, the time difference may have been maybe 10-15 seconds in the incapacitation time between the 45 and 9mm. And to be perfectly honest, I would not read too much into the time due to different shot angle, and placement.the reason I say that is there were foamy bubbles coming out of the hole, which is an indicator of lung damage. The heart may not have been hit, but there are some serious arteries that may have been severed. I am pretty sure of this due to the sloshing of fluid that could be heard when I moved it.

This is a testament to shot placement, and penetration. Take away either, and you may have an unrecoverable animal, or an adversary still in the fight.

One thing is, neither of these results suprise me. I have shot them with hardcasts, HPs, and now fmj. Several years ago I killed two does with Rem Golden Sabers. Same result, except quicker.

Handguns have stopping power. I don't know where this got started, but I would like to debunk that. If there was a Bigfoot , I would go hunt him down with a 38spl loaded with lswc just to prove it.
    ( on second thought, Id probably use my 41 mag or 10mm. :)

Also, Glocks or any other handgun, can be used for deer hunting, if, if, you limit your distance, know where to place the shot, and use the right load.

I understand the fear of overpenetration. And, I honestly feel a 124 weight +p will work for SD just fine in just about any personal SD situation. Just understand that there is a chance of underpenetration and overpenetration. It could go either way.
    DefConGun and gasmitty like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.
    oneshot likes this.

Not trying to start a caliber war but I would be curious to see the results of a deer hunt with a 380.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Not trying to start a caliber war but I would be curious to see the results of a deer hunt with a 380.
    I would actually do that, but I honestly like deer too much to do that. Two legged vermin deserve to have to be shot numerous times. Deer, on the other hand deserve better.
    Not saying a 380 wont do it, its just raising the variable rate of something going wrong above my threshhold of acceptability.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links