Persons Carrying Gun - 4.5 Times More Likely to be Shot

This is a discussion on Persons Carrying Gun - 4.5 Times More Likely to be Shot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Did you know we've been wasting our time and money by investing in guns and ammo? All of our efforts are out of the window ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Persons Carrying Gun - 4.5 Times More Likely to be Shot

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Did you know we've been wasting our time and money by investing in guns and ammo? All of our efforts are out of the window according to a study that says, "handguns are not an effective form of self-defense".

Boy, am I kicking myself.

Concealed handguns are not an effective form of self-defense. A Nov. 2009 peer-reviewed study published in the American Journal of Public Health by Charles Branas, PhD, et al. found that someone carrying a gun for self-defense was 4.5 times more likely to be shot during an assault than an assault victim without a gun. Attackers often surprise victims, making it difficult to use a concealed handgun.

Reference:
    Charles Branas, et al., "Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault," American Journal of Public Health, Nov. 2009

Concealed Guns ProCon.org

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Darn. Guess I'll start carrying a vase of flowers for the BG. Overwhelm them with kindness. Remember figures do not lie but liars can figure.
    DefConGun and thephanatik like this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I'll stop carrying they day I'm shot with my own gun....
    mkh and JerryMac like this.

At least if your armed you have a say so about how it goes down.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Concealed handguns are not an effective form of self-defense. A Nov. 2009 peer-reviewed study published in the American Journal of Public Health by Charles Branas, PhD, et al.
    Did they read the latest study on lobotomy in “Field and Stream”.
    Arborigine and Waterborne like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    This is so doggone ironic.
    I just completed my own study regarding the total lack of credibility of moronic wimpy log headed anti-gun agenda driven pacifist sheeple idiots who fabricate statistics and how they are a mind-boggling 92.4 times less likely to be believed on any Internet firearm forum than on the Mother Earth News & GreenPeace websites.
    Guest1, OD*, glockman10mm and 6 others like this.

Maybe, I could just carry a rolled up PhD and hit the bad guys with that....

I'm sure that's probably what Charles Branas does.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Thats why I carry a backpack full of breakfast burritos,I figure that by dropping them as I flee the crime scene I can at least slow them up,nobody can resist breakfast burritos,they are the Gold Dot of SD food
    Dadsnugun, Eaglebeak, tts and 4 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GM
    Now I am very glad; after reading Branas' article I will save a lot of money
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It's hard to argue with an idiot...I'm just sayin'...
    mkh and glockman10mm like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well I'd say it's official then... Mr. Charles Branas, PhD is dumber than a bag of hammers.

Let's see...

Good guy with no gun is approached by knife wielding bad guy = Dead, or maimed good guy.
    Good guy with a gun and knows when and how to use it, approached by knife wielding bad guy = Dead, or near dead bad guy..

I don't know, but this seems elementary to me. This guy must be the professor from Gilligan's Island, or something.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Sponsor
    gottabekiddin,
    Anyone who could make a radio from coconuts would know better.
    gottabkiddin, l1a1 and TheGiant like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Concealed handguns are not an effective form of self-defense. A Nov. 2009 peer-reviewed study published in the American Journal of Public Health by Charles Branas, PhD, et al. found that someone carrying a gun for self-defense was 4.5 times more likely to be shot during an assault than an assault victim without a gun. Attackers often surprise victims, making it difficult to use a concealed handgun.

Reference:
    Charles Branas, et al., "Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault," American Journal of Public Health, Nov. 2009

Concealed Guns ProCon.org
    That is very ambiguous; thugs and gang criminals carry a gun for self-defense and they are more likely to get shot. Does the research include all people who are shot while carrying a firearm or, is it limited to those legally carrying. I suspect it is all persons including criminals.
    DefConGun, Hopyard and OPFOR like this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    That is very ambiguous; thugs and gang criminals carry a gun for self-defense and they are more likely to get shot. Does the research include all people who are shot while carrying a firearm or, is it limited to those legally carrying. I suspect it is all persons including criminals.
    It most likely does not include those legally carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats why I carry a backpack full of breakfast burritos,I figure that by dropping them as I flee the crime scene I can at least slow them up,nobody can resist breakfast burritos,they are the Gold Dot of SD food

My gosh that was funny!!! Nice one! Just what I needed this morning!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links