National EAS test. Please tell me how it went in your area - Page 3

National EAS Test. Please tell me how it went in your area

This is a discussion on National EAS Test. Please tell me how it went in your area within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So with all the technology available today the Test was a disaster,maybe they should have just had "Justin Bieber" tweet it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: National EAS test. Please tell me how it went in your area

So with all the technology available today the test was a disaster,maybe they should have just had "Justin Bieber" tweet it
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I live in Southwestern Ohio and was never exposed to it personally. I think they should send it through more mediums than tv and radio.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley View Post
    I heard some unidentifiable noise on my favorite local FM station. My wife reports some TV stations seemed to have some video or a crawler, some didn't.

- Louisville Ky

I heard that sirens sounded across the river in Jeffersonville Indiana but heard nothing in KY.

None of our weather radios (3 total) activated. (Were they supposed to?)
    No the weather radios were not part of this. The NWS is a wholly separate entity.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Garbled audio and fuzzy screen notice. If this is supposed to let the president speak to us, it's perfect. Now the Big Brother can interrupt big brother with one finger. Next week the INTERNET kill switch will light up. Not to worry, the next jihad attack will be broadcast on HAM radio, unless CAIR complains that ham is haram...oh wait...never mind.
    Actually, the government has always been able to interrupt radio and TV broadcasts for this kind of thing, test or real emergency. This is nothing new at all. This was just the first time the EAS (formerly the EBS) has been tested nationally.

The postmortem is in full swing now. Trying to figure out why this didn't work nearly everywhere across the country. I can type up a short version of what we in Broadcasting are hearing about it in case anyone is interested. Just let me know. Otherwise I can tell you it is mainly because the government, specifically FEMA, really has no idea how to do this. Also, they have no Broadcasters working for them so they really have no idea how to administer a system that is supposed to broadcast an emergency alert. The system is state of the art.....for 1955. In reality, all of us (broadcasters) suspected that this would not go well but even we didn't foresee the magnitude of train wreck that it would be.

As things are run now, I firmly believe that if the Communist Chinese or someone else invaded (maybe a far fetched idea) the first most of us would know about it would be when we saw an enemy soldier on the streets of Any Town USA.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

So TN-Mike I am curious, was the stuff coming out from the feds analog and not getting translated well to digital or were they not getting a quality signal in any format out to you all? I remember when my old department was moving to the "new and improved" 700mhz digital radios from our 460mhz analog units we had to simulcast for a while until we had all the cars switched over. You could say the transition was not as seemless as the vendors assured us it would be. (imagine that!)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I recieved it in it's entirety through my dental work, and an episode of Maury! I think it was the one where they try to figure out who the real baby daddy is.

I think in my neighborhood we were instructed to hold the can closer to our ear and pull the string a bit tighter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I live in Southwestern Ohio and was never exposed to it personally. I think they should send it through more mediums than tv and radio.
    Really? Seriously? I'm kinda surprised with your handle, avatar, and quote that you believe that to be true. No offense, just saying...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I recorded it off my satellite dish on my DVR accidentally, all I got was the screen with the announcement on it and a tone. So if there was supposed to be info included, it was a failure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links