National EAS Test. Please tell me how it went in your area

This is a discussion on National EAS Test. Please tell me how it went in your area within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am a Broadcast Engineer, I work in TV. Today was the National EAS (Emergency Alert System) Test. To say that this was a government ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: National EAS test. Please tell me how it went in your area

National EAS test. Please tell me how it went in your area

I am a Broadcast Engineer, I work in TV. Today was the National EAS (Emergency Alert System) test. To say that this was a government run train wreck is so mild as to be comical. All of our equipment was checked, rechecked and checked again. We have been testing and getting ready for this test in central Indiana for over two months. When the time came, what we got from the US government was about 30 seconds of static instead of the audio message we were supposed to hear.

I have been reading reports from different locations around the country. Some areas had garbled audio, some had 30 seconds of dead air. Some had tones for the entire thing. This was completely FUBAR and you can blame the good old government for this. Specifically, the FCC.

So please, if you watched the test on TV or heard it on radio I'd really like to hear how it went in your area.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

It was staticy at first but then the audio gradually got clearer and easier to understand...all in all if something bad was going down on the national level it seems like it would work pretty well
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Non event in NW Oregon. No signal broadcast.....

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    It was staticy at first but then the audio gradually got clearer and easier to understand...all in all if something bad was going down on the national level it seems like it would work pretty well
    I beg to differ. This was a nationwide near total failure. It now looks like the audio didn't make it to almost 90% of the stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Non event in NW Oregon. No signal broadcast.....
    FYI, the entire state of Oregon has been listed already as a failure for this test. So far, it's the only entire state that I am aware of that is being considered a failure.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Don't know,haven't taken the aluminum foil off my head to check around.

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODO HMYGODI forgot to watch for it! What's happening?!?Are We Dying?!?!?OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYG ODOHMYGOD...a test?!?!? What's a test?!?!?!?!Do I need to call 911?!!OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOH MYGOD!!!!!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Eastern NC, tones but no audio.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Connecticut is having a REAL test

after 13 days we almost all have electricity back but many are still waiting on land line phone service and internet via ATT.

and FEMA is promising to pick up the fallen branches--est 3 tons from my yard alone.
    the home owner has to drag it to the street while the prisioners enjoy having back-up generators...
    so, what was this about a test??
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

My bad, I was watching Glee on the DVR and missed it. Looks like if the world ends I wont find out about it until I see the recording.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The radio station I was listening to at the time was still broadcasting Rush Limbaugh. He was not interupted by the EAS so I would say someone has a lot of work to do in order to get it right.

Came through loud and clear here in Tn.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am a Broadcast Engineer, I work in TV. Today was the National EAS (Emergency Alert System) test. To say that this was a government run train wreck is so mild as to be comical. All of our equipment was checked, rechecked and checked again. We have been testing and getting ready for this test in central Indiana for over two months. When the time came, what we got from the US government was about 30 seconds of static instead of the audio message we were supposed to hear.

I have been reading reports from different locations around the country. Some areas had garbled audio, some had 30 seconds of dead air. Some had tones for the entire thing. This was completely FUBAR and you can blame the good old government for this. Specifically, the FCC.

So please, if you watched the test on TV or heard it on radio I'd really like to hear how it went in your area.
    Obama said it was Bush's fault, or the Republicans, or the Tea Party.
    Rock and Glock and TN_Mike like this.

So what you are saying is that the FCC can fine Howard Stern for every fart joke and f-bomb ever dropped on radio and can identify every single one to the micro-second, but they can not administrate a test designed to save lives?

Now THAT is a government agency with a solid set of priorities....
    Rock and Glock and TN_Mike like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I heard some unidentifiable noise on my favorite local FM station. My wife reports some TV stations seemed to have some video or a crawler, some didn't.

- Louisville Ky

I heard that sirens sounded across the river in Jeffersonville Indiana but heard nothing in KY.

None of our weather radios (3 total) activated. (Were they supposed to?)

My cable tv went into emergency test mode for about 20 minutes or more when there was a silent stream of test verbage.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links