Of course we are not in favour of Iran developing a bomb – but do we think they’d use

This is a discussion on Of course we are not in favour of Iran developing a bomb – but do we think they’d use within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; UN report: Iran IS trying to build nuclear bomb warns William Hague | Mail Online This is a good article about Israel possibly attacking Iran ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Of course we are not in favour of Iran developing a bomb – but do we think they’d use

Of course we are not in favour of Iran developing a bomb – but do we think they’d use

UN report: Iran IS trying to build nuclear bomb warns William Hague | Mail Online

This is a good article about Israel possibly attacking Iran before they have the bomb. A British official was quoted as saying:

"But the source ruled out direct British support, adding: ‘Of course we are not in favour of Iran developing a bomb – but do we think they’d use it: no."

This is well in line with how the British view self defense by their citizens.

2. Remove Ads

Iran probably won't directly use it but they will have no qualms "losing one" to an islamic group that will use it with extreme prejudice.
    Maverickx50 and ErnieNWillis like this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    IMO, Iran already has a nuke. It stands to reason that they aren't going to let anyone know that they have one as soon as they have one. I suspect that they will use the element of surprise if or whenever they decide to use it. You aren't going to say, Hey, I have a nuke so gear up because I'm about to launch it. You would use the threat of making one as much as you could so that it will come out to your advantage and then when you do decide to use it, it will be a complete surprise that you even had one, let alone are using it.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I suspect that Iran's leaders have some sense of self preservation and they have to know what the response would be. Hence, they won't use it directly and they will want to avoid being directly associated with it's use. As was said earlier, they will have no qualms about losing it to someone who is willing to sacrifice themselves.

The bigger question to me is this. Israel has the means and predilection for dealing with an unfriendly neighbors' nuclear program. Do we really think they would use those means?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I suspect that Iran's leaders have some sense of self preservation and they have to know what the response would be. Hence, they won't use it directly and they will want to avoid being directly associated with it's use. As was said earlier, they will have no qualms about losing it to someone who is willing to sacrifice themselves.
    Enough of the political correctness. Anyone with half a brain knows these fanatics would not think twice about using nukes on their enemies to further their "religion of peace". This stuff needs nipped in the bud now.
    Last edited by HotGuns; November 10th, 2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: language workaround

I think that Israel would eliminate this threat before it became deploy-able. Similar to what they did when Iraq was building a nuclear plant. Then again possibly the Obama administration is applying pressure to stop that action. I would hope that we and Israel are using covert activities to know what exactly their capabilities are and assist in stopping them if need be. Certainly Ahmedenijad (sp) is Bat S**t crazy enough to do something really bad.

mahmoud_ahmadinejad2.jpg

Him? A nut job? Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? I'm a d'in a nut job"? If he and the silent leaders thought they could survive, yes, they would launch. Should we pre-empt? Of course.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Iran probably won't directly use it but they will have no qualms "losing one" to an islamic group that will use it with extreme prejudice.
    Azchevy and I do not always agree but in this case he is ABSOLUTELY on the mark. If they put one together it will find it's way either to NY City or Israel in VERY short order.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

There is no doubt that Israel has Nukes,but I'm not so sure they have the codes to arm them,the US may hold the codes as a fail-safe to keep them from using them without the approval of the POTUS,and the one we got now would never authorise it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    This is a good article about Israel possibly attacking Iran before they have the bomb. A British official was quoted as saying:

We have short memories. Israel bombed Saddam Husein's reactor's. They will bomb the Iranian reactors when the time comes too.

I think we waste a lot of time and money around without understanding.

Misunderstanding is the number one cause of suffering in the world.

VIP Member
    Probably Russia, China or North Korea has already given them a nuclear weapon. When the time is right they will announce it as a power play. Russia in the UN is like letting the fox guard the chickens. They work against us all the time on matters such as Iran. Play the US like a fine violin...

Iran already has nuclear weapons, have had them for years. The thing now is that once they come out and say "officially" they have atomic weapons capability, it will be used as a club to beat up on their "enemies" so we will appease them with whatever stupid demands they can come up with. Ahmadinejab is just a punk bully with a big stick so he can throw his weight around. The normal, typical Iranian could care less if Israel exists or not. These are the people that need to run Iran, but unfortunately, that isn't the case.

Despite the threats of annihilation by Islamic-controled countries, it seems doubtful if they would really do it. Israel has the capability of wiping clean those countries that threaten. They have had nuclear weapons for a long, long time and would use every one of them should any Muslim country decide that nuking Israel seems like the thing to do. I don't think that any anti-Israel country could seriously consider doing that, unless the just don't have anything else left to live for.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I would think that the fallout from a nuclear explosion of any size would have the potential of affecting every country in the middle east so I don't see any country using nuclear weapons against an enemy in the region. Even madmen usually have a desire for self preservation. However, as North Korea has found, possession of nuclear weapons and the capability to deliver them allows small countries to stand up to world powers. The regime in Iraq (which did not have nuclear weapons) was overthrown by the United States. The regime in North Korea (which does have nuclear weapons) continues to thrive as the United States and other world powers continue to try and negotiate with them. That doesn't go unnoticed by the other crackpot leaders including Ahmadinejad.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    IMO, Iran already has a nuke. It stands to reason that they aren't going to let anyone know that they have one as soon as they have one. I suspect that they will use the element of surprise if or whenever they decide to use it. You aren't going to say, Hey, I have a nuke so gear up because I'm about to launch it. You would use the threat of making one as much as you could so that it will come out to your advantage and then when you do decide to use it, it will be a complete surprise that you even had one, let alone are using it.
    Only the U.S. would say, "get ready, here we come." We tell the time, day and date, after all, it wouldn't be PC to drop in unannounced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links