A great speech.

This is a discussion on A great speech. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What say you. One Of The Greatest Speeches Ever Made*Video...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By azchevy
  • 1 Post By Yankeejib
  • 2 Post By miklcolt45
  • 1 Post By Hopyard

Thread: A great speech.

A great speech.

2. Remove Ads

No substance, and it bears little relevance to the forum IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    No substance, and it bears little relevance to the forum IMHO.
    The OFF TOPIC/HUMOR forum? Really??
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Words are cheap. Actions speak volumes. Charlie Chaplin couldn't carry Winston Churchill's undershorts. But, it is what it is: food for thought. Thanks for posting.

The OFF TOPIC/HUMOR forum? Really??
    OK. I was a wee bit harsh. Sorry.

I only listened once and my wife was talking to me as usual so I didn't hear it all. I would have played it again but I did not expect her to stop. Anyway sounded rather Utopian
    to me. reminds me of the occupy protesters wishful thinking that if we all just share and provide for everyone everything will be great. Unfortunately we are flawed human beings
    and human nature being what it is I doubt we can get there.

Science and progress will lead to happiness.

Don't see it, personally.

We have guided missiles and misguided men and women.
    Happiness is still an inside job.
    And, in my opinion, always will be.
    Hopyard and atctimmy like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Happiness is still an inside job.

Yep

VIP Member
    In about 1971 there was a re-release of the 1940 Chaplin movie; "The Great Dictator." I made the mistake of taking my then 9 year old nephew to what I thought would be a comedy, given that Chaplin was the star. I had no clue the topic, nor had I heard of this film prior.

It wasn't comedy. Yes, Chaplin was mocking Hitler as only comedians can, but it was a very disturbing movie. It was prescient. I don't think the original 1940s audience could have realized the full importance of that film as harbinger of the nightmare which was to come.

I left both drained and sorry that I took my nephew. Fortunately, I think he was still too young to actually understand the film.

Do note that this flick was produced prior to our active involvement in WWII; though that calamity was already underway in Europe.

I
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

"The Great Dictator" was a fantastic film and this was a great monologue. It was also, sadly, the beginning of the demise of Chaplin's career. It forced his exile from the US as there was concern that it would offend Hitler & he would use it to inspire action against the US. Great Britain felt similarly and would not allow him asylum.

I still like Ike's "Military Industrial Complex" speech as one of my favorites.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    "The Great Dictator" was a fantastic film and this was a great monologue. It was also, sadly, the beginning of the demise of Chaplin's career. It forced his exile from the US as there was concern that it would offend Hitler & he would use it to inspire action against the US. Great Britain felt similarly and would not allow him asylum.

I still like Ike's "Military Industrial Complex" speech as one of my favorites.
    Perhaps. There is a different explanation for his exile on Wikipedia. Just for the benefit of those who might be interested Charlie Chaplin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Links