LASIK - anyone have the procedure?

This is a discussion on LASIK - anyone have the procedure? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone had a LASIC procedure themselves? Which procedure, when was it done, did you have any complications, and what are your thoughts?...

Thread: LASIK - anyone have the procedure?

VIP Member

Has anyone had a LASIC procedure themselves? Which procedure, when was it done, did you have any complications, and what are your thoughts?

Yes. I was pretty near sighted. I had Lasik surgery in 2001. I have never regretted it. Best thing I ever did. I had it done one day, and the next day drove 2 1/2 hours home, from where I had the procedure done. Right after having them done, some people say it feels like you have sand in your eyes, but mine weren't that bad. That only last the first day or so tho. Vision got clearer over the next month.

Like I said, this was in 2001, I'm now appoaching 50 years old and my close up vision is starting to go and I have a hard time reading the smaller print and stuff. I'm having to move things further away to see them. But that's just age catching up with me now.

I say go for it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I got it done about three years ago. Went to the Dr. at 8 a.m., came home at 10 and could read the book titles on the shelf as I lay down on the couch.

Only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

I consulted my doctor, regarding the procedure and was told that is not forever. If you wear glasses I would most likely have to have the procedure done once again, in 3 to 5 years. I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but I opted not get it. At 59 and having worn glasses most of my life, I decided I looked better with rather than without. I wear tri-focals and at times it's really difficult to see my sights at the range. That is a problem that I've always dealt with. The cost of the procedure and the promise of having to get a repeat procedure sealed the deal for me. Just have to keep updating the prescription as needed and see the doctor once a year. Sit down with your doctor and have all of your questions ready, and get more than one opinion. You'll be better informed to make the decision. Good Luck!!!

I got LASIK 4 years ago. It's an easy procedure, but has about a week worth of post-op stuff (eyedrops, sleeping with eye patches etc...). Worth every cent. Like has already been said...my only regret was not doing it sooner.

I had Lasik back in 06. I had the custom wavefront surgery. Someday, I'll need reading glasses again, but I shouldn't ever need to repeat the surgery. I've had 20/15 vision ever since.

In terms of the immediate after effects, I had the surgery at 0830 in the morning after working an overnight shift. 10 minutes after the surgery, they tested my vision and I was at 20/40. My dad gave me a lift home (you're supposed to have transport home, my eyes seemed pretty dialated) i did the anti-biotic eyedrops, and the steriod eye drops and went to sleep. When I woke up I could see clearer than ever before, even with glasses. I followed the post op care, and went to my follow up appointments and I've had 20/15 vision ever since.

I wouldn't say it changed my life, but I will say that it was worth what I paid for it, especially since I would have ended up spending the money on contacts and glasses anyways.

I haven't experienced any further problems, no halos, no light sensitivity, overall, I had a really positive experience. I did my research and selected a very experienced surgeon, and i didn't try to go the budget route. Buy once, cry once...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I had custom wavefront LASIK in February 06 to correct pretty significant astigmatism and nearsightedness too. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I went from glasses 24/7 to being able to see like a hawk, 20/12 combined now.

The rest of the day of surgery was sort of sketchy. My eyes felt scratchy and my vision was blurry. The next morning I woke up and it was a lot better, though it came and went over the next couple of days. I had to work the next day and looking at the computer was a challenge, but other than that it was good to go.

My wife bought me LASIK as a gift for finishing seminary and it has been a great gift.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Thanks for the responses. I am getting 2 opinions - if they don't match up I won't do it. I am also looking at the wavefront surgery from one of the top surgeons in the region. This is not something to go with the lowest bidder on.

12 1/2 years ago I had LASIK done in both eyes, I was very near sighted. For several years after the procedure I was able to read without reading glasses, now I have to wear them. I'm 57 now and still no regrets.

I got it done 8 years ago and still see better then 20/20. If I had to, I'd do it again

I did not have Lasik but I did have a procedure called Supralase that is very similar to PRK. The one thing I did not like about Lasik was that there is still a small chance that the flap that is created will come out as it never really heals completely and if it does I have heard it is very painful. On the questionaire I answered I said that I still perform contact sports and he right away disqualified me for Lasik even though he does offer and perform that procedure too. At onetime if I remember correctly, the military did not offer Lasik but PRK because of the chance of the flap coming out and pilot canidates that had Lasik were not allowed with Lasik but allowed with PRK. I do not know if they have changed that policy. I am satisified with my what I got. However as always there is the chance of problems. Out of all the doctors that I went to, the doctor I finally had the procedure with, was the one that told me there is always that small chance of problems and to go to this website to read up on some of the problems. As always do your research and wishing you the best !!! God Bless

LasikDisaster.com - LASIK: LASIK risks are understated

SWMBO had the procedure about 10 years ago. After 45 years of glasses and contacts it was a huge improvement for her. Today she still gets around with out glasses but I suspect she is no longer 20/20. I've thought about it but the idea of having someone cut on my eye just scares the willies out of me (add sound of chicken clucking here). My eyes are integral to earning a living, it would be very hard for me to do what I do blind. This led me to decide if I ever do it, I'll do one eye at a time.

One of the gals I work with just went back and had hers "Tweeked" about 10 years after the fact. That is when I learned that the flap apparently never heals because the don't have to re-cut the eye. I'll stick with glasses, I can get them adjusted as often as I want, can have special purpose prescriptions and I have better vision than the wife (lasik) or daughter (contacts).
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I had my LASIK ten years ago. I now need $3 reading glass some times. My doctor told me up front that I would start needing reading glass when I got older. He also told me to wear sunglasses when outside to help prevent cataracts. I am glad I had it done.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ditto Stevew, did mine almost 10 years ago, still 20/20, maybe 20/25 on a bad day. Doc was up front about reading glasses after 40, I said, yeah, but I'd probably need them anyway! 42 now, I got a pair of low power glasses to drive at night in unknown areas and to read house numbers at work. I found they don't really help much, my problem is contrast of dark colors and shadows on numbers that I doubt is exclusive to me.

This probably won't help you in making a decision. My procedure was done in 1990 at Loma Linda University Medical Center (Riverside, Ca) , that was prior to Lazers being used. My eyesight was 200 over 20 (I could read a book but three feet in front of my face was a blur....still cracks me up that the US Army drafted me and provided me later with GLASSES but that is another story) and I had worn glasses daily/all day since 1958. First day was 3 hours of tests and consult. Next day the procedure. I was sitting in a chair tilted back (like a dental chair) and the doctor placed a board across my chest area and climbed on it. We had a brief exchange of nervous laughter after he mentioned the frequency of earthquakes in the area and I got the implications of same. The cuts in the eye ball were done by hand. Yeah, I still can not believe he did that. The only pain was the needle to the eye socket for the local anastesia (sp). Eye patch on and home til next day. Vision on the first eye was 20/15 ,so procedure was duplicated on eye #2 in one month. With both eyes I wore a eye patch for one day and had some blurry vision off and on for about 3 days each. I would have taken the risk of blindness ( this risk was discussed by the doctor and the reason for doing only one eye at a time) over another 30 years of groping around every morning for the glasses on the nite stand, and broken glasses at least twice a year from sports. About 2008 I had to get some reading glasses since my arms were getting to short to read, but hey I'm getting white hair too from old age (the wife says I look very distinguished). Do it friend, it will change your life !
    Last edited by Horsetrader; November 13th, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Links