Host, What Will Be UR Rules In A SHTF (or Walking Dead) Scenario?

This is a discussion on Host, What Will Be UR Rules In A SHTF (or Walking Dead) Scenario? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was watching an episode of "The Walking Dead" tonight. I've only seen a few episodes so I can't give you much background on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Host, What Will Be UR Rules In A SHTF (or Walking Dead) Scenario?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I was watching an episode of "The Walking Dead" tonight. I've only seen a few episodes so I can't give you much background on the series nor do I believe you really need to know any as a prerequisite to post ideas on this thread. Basically tonight there was a scene where the leader of one group of people is talking to the host, who is allowing them to stay on his farm for awhile. The host isn't particularly thrilled with hosting a number of people to whom he does not know but has allowed it given the dire (SHTF) circumstances everyone has found themselves in, etc.

The leader of the group asks the host if he will consider to allow them to stay a little while longer. The host says that he will think about it but he is insisting for everyone to abide by his rules.

I won't go into his rules nor do I think they're necessary for this post but this caused me to wonder what my rules would be in a similar circumstance? We occasionally talk about SHTF scenarios, so please allow me pose this one to you.

Regardless of details, this is a SHTF situation and you are the owner of a house/farm/compound and for the sake of argument, you are allowing others to stay either in your house or on your property. What are your rules that you are insisting everyone to abide by if they stay?

VIP Member
    One simply rule. You pull your weight or you become zombie food!
    shooterX, Riana and Spade115 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I haven't started watching Walking Dead, zombies aren't my cup of tea. I like military, tac ops kind of stuff, and zombies or other science fiction isn't a realistic scenario.

I suppose the whole golden horde scenario would be zombie like, however, and unfortunately, it would be neighbor against neighbor. Fortunately, I'm better armed than most, and anyone as well armed is equally well prepared with food stuffs, or at least should be.

I read a blog by JW Rawles, SurvivalBlog.com and saw a post recently where he stated, at his compound it's a dictatorship, and he's the dic. Or, what archer51 said.

After having looked at many peoples proposed SHTF scenarios and BOB discussions I'd have to say that if you really are concerned about such things you should be a member of the local National Guard unit or in a Volunteer Fire Department as a first responder.

All the little dictators running their private compounds can look forward to being part of the mop up operations by the more organized after things settle down and likely will stand trial for various and sundry stuff they pulled.

Senior Moderator
    Pulling weight, doing some kind of work.. even if it's just the laundry... there has to be some kind of structure where people use the talents and abilities they have to the betterment (and survival) of the group. Even if you can just stand watch or build a fence or plant some seeds you can help.

But for strangers asking for help?

1. No weapons until I can trust you. You don't like it? You're free to move on with your weapons and find help/shelter/food from someone else. You come inside my perimeter and I don't know you, you will not be armed.
    2. If I choose to help you don't get picky about the type of help I provide... you don't like the food or the shelter I tell you that you can use you can hit the road.
    3. If you are staying more than a night then you've got to give me something in return. If I've helped you it means I've used resources on you that I can't get back. Even if it's just a day's work I need a return in my investment.

VIP Member
    This discussion reminds me a little of the book One Second After where the people of Black Mountain , NC all contribute based on their abilities. And they interviewed folks "passing through" that might have skills useful to the community, and to paraphrase Lima, a sort of return on their investment.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    What Lima said but, first and foremost; I would never allow a significant "group" to join my "compound" I would want at least a 10 to 1 ratio of people I trust vs unknown individuals.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Any sort of compound would have to replicate a small society, ie. each person has a job and as stated above have to pull their own weight. There wouldn't be any welfare or food stamps in my camp.

Also, for anyone interested in these types of scenarios and the great stories they present, please check out the link below. It is free audio podcast, pretty much a book on tape, of a story called "We're Alive". I started listening to it and it is a highly addictive piece of fiction written in 20 minute episodes and still running. Once you start it you'll want to listen to it all day.

Chapters & Episodes - The Zombie Podcast
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I like Lima's post but I don't think I would actually allow anyone to be exsposed to what resources I have unless they are family or VERY close friends...otherwise the answer is, "sorry, wish I could help you but I am running on empty myself."

So the guy is making rules and talking about trust but hiding walkers in his barn....
    TN_Mike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I like the part about pulling your own weight and the weapons thing makes sense but I think I would also add, no drugs. I don't want to be around that kind of thing nor do I want my family exposed to such things. I realize different people do different things to deal with stress and anxiety and if you have to get high or drunk to deal with yours, then perhaps you need to find a different place to crash.

Good point azchevy. I thought that was a little weird myself and can't wait to get the explanation as to why he's doing this... Also, did you notice when they thought they had a walker, one of them said, no wait...so-so wants to deal with walkers...now we know why he wants to deal with them. We also have a better idea as to why he wants no guns around.

I suppose since I'm dishing out rules, i might have to consider consequences if there are major infractions, i.e., theft, brutality, murder, etc. Any thoughts on how to deal with such things? Wild, wild West justice?

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Don't take my horse without my consent
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Don't take my horse without my consent
    Don't invite me into your home and not tell me about the death 100 yards away in the barn.
    TN_Mike likes this.

One rule...Go away....
    Riana likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Administrator
    How does that old '70's bumper sticker read? Ass, grass or cash, nobody rides for free; or at least an adaptation of.

Oh yeah, the first dingle berry that uses text abbreviations like a giddy 8th grade girl gets fed to the zombies first.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links