Anyone here into fixing LCD flat panel TVs?

This is a discussion on Anyone here into fixing LCD flat panel TVs? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wondering. I've been doing this as a hobby since August. Bought my first non-working set off CraigsList for $50. Rehab for cost plus new ...

Thread: Anyone here into fixing LCD flat panel TVs?

Just wondering. I've been doing this as a hobby since August. Bought my first non-working set off CraigsList for $50. Rehab for cost plus new power board and remote for a bit over $100 total. Since then, I've searched for and picked up many non-working or broken screen units cheap or free. I have several success stories and willing to share. If any of you like to do electronic repairs at the circuit board level, let me know. I don't have the time to replace capacitors as I hold a full time job...I simply buy and replace the whole circuit boards. If this is up your alley, I can turn you on to many parts that need repair or I can help you fix your own. I'm almost to the point of having too much to handle now. Room full of flat panel LCDs and picking up more tomorrow.
    Wishing everyone a happy holiday season. Buy smart, and recycle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just wondering. I've been doing this as a hobby since August. Bought my first non-working set off CraigsList for $50. Rehab for cost plus new power board and remote for a bit over $100 total. Since then, I've searched for and picked up many non-working or broken screen units cheap or free. I have several success stories and willing to share. If any of you like to do electronic repairs at the circuit board level, let me know. I don't have the time to replace capacitors as I hold a full time job...I simply buy and replace the whole circuit boards. If this is up your alley, I can turn you on to many parts that need repair or I can help you fix your own. I'm almost to the point of having too much to handle now. Room full of flat panel LCDs and picking up more tomorrow.
    Wishing everyone a happy holiday season. Buy smart, and recycle!
    I actually got a 36" i believe that my grandpa had that he was watching and it quit working one day so i took it from him as he was going to just throw it away.
    I know nothing about these things, when u turn it on it takes a few seconds then comes on to a black screen then after 5 seconds or so it shuts off then just trys to power cycle a few times but doesnt come one do you have any ideas of what would be going on with that

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just wondering. I've been doing this as a hobby since August. Bought my first non-working set off CraigsList for $50.
    I have probably repaired about 100 LCD monitors. Well, attempted repair. I probably fixed 90 of them. Most of the time (about 90%) it is bad capacitors on the inverter for the backlight. I usually desolder them and replace them with new ones. Parts cost is usually about $5.

I don't do it anymore, though. Back when I did it, I could buy a broken monitor for $25, repair it in about an hour, and re-sell it for $75. So my profit was about $45 for an hour of work. But the economics are somewhat different today. It still costs me $25 for a broken monitor, but now I can only resell it for about $40. So now I only make $10 for an hours work.. it just isn't worth it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Links