eBay Any suggestions for bidding success?

This is a discussion on eBay Any suggestions for bidding success? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The one trick (sort of) I've learned is to bit on items where the closing in in the morning (7 to 11 AM) on a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: eBay Any suggestions for bidding success?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

eBay Any suggestions for bidding success?

The one trick (sort of) I've learned is to bit on items where the closing in in the morning (7 to 11 AM) on a week day. For real guy stuff much of the competition seems to be either at work or still in bed at that time. Doesn't always work but seems to work a little better for me. Just purchases a simple OWB holster for my old Taurus PT99 and a new Benchmade 556 Mini Mini-Griptillian MDP Knife. (Wisconsin has that 3" blade law) so needed something a bit shorter than my current 551 Griptillian to carry. Will probably offer my used but not abused 551 for sale here as soon as new one arrives.

Any other ideas for success?
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

sniping programs or just setting a reminder to get on and snipe it right before it closes
    Guest1 likes this.

Works the same way for me on Gun Broker, have made some very good buys on firearms.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Yeah, the snipe programs are why I no longer participate in eBay. Back when they first became popular, I had a nice little eBay business going. I stopped because of these programs made it hard for actual collectors or individuals who really wanted an item to get it at a fair price. I realized that it did drive my selling price up and I make more money, but it just didn't sit well with me. Now, its the common practice not only with high dollar stuff, but with normal everyday wares as well.

The best thing you can do now is just set your maximum bid and cross your fingers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, the snipe programs are why I no longer participate in eBay. Back when they first became popular, I had a nice little eBay business going. I stopped because of these programs made it hard for actual collectors or individuals who really wanted an item to get it at a fair price. I realized that it did drive my selling price up and I make more money, but it just didn't sit well with me. Now, its the common practice not only with high dollar stuff, but with normal everyday wares as well.

The best thing you can do now is just set your maximum bid and cross your fingers.
    ^ This. I used to use a sniping program to get hard-to-find parts for a motorcycle that I was building. I swear the seller was using one too, in order to drive the price up. It was just too consistent with certain sellers. These days, if it doesn't have a 'buy now' option that I'm content with, I don't even mess with it.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Hit the buy now button I haven't lost yet
    WHEC724 and bigmacque like this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Wow, I snipe manually, I only bid at the last second; I did not know programs existed for the purpose.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Wow, I snipe manually, I only bid at the last second; I did not know programs existed for the purpose.
    I have no issue with the people who "snipe" manually, at least you are making an effort on your own.
    "Just blame Sixto"

About 50% of my business is conducted on eBay (as a seller).. I did away with the bidding over a year ago. Everything I do is buy-it-now. There are threeprimary reasons why I went that way.
    • eBay charges the seller almost twice as much on the final value fee for an auction as they do for a buy-it-now.
    • With an auction, lots of people would bid on it, then never pay for the item. Then I had to go through the process of filing a non-paying bidder to get my final value credit. If somebody clicks buy-it-now, they are far more likely to actually pay for the item.
    • Believe it or not, because some people would pay too much for an item. I'm in the computer business and especially around Christmas time it was not unusual for somebody to bid up to $600 on a laptop that was really only worth $200. Now, you'd think that would be good business for me. But since I offer a 30 day warranty and refund option, people would always figure out they spent too much and then want to return it. That costed me a lot of money in the end.

So I just got rid of the bidding war, found good price points for all of my different types of computers, and made them all buy-it-now. I also did away with the refund policy, but kept the 30-day warranty. In the end, my customers are much happier, and ends up being a lot less work for me.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member
    ^^This. it keeps emotions out if it.

for me, amazon prime for anything new. free shipping, you can find great prices, no hassle returns. hard to beat it for buying.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    sniping programs or just setting a reminder to get on and snipe it right before it closes
    I haven't used it in a log time,but a sniping program where you set your maximum bid you are willing to go and the program will bid for you until it hits your max,then it sends you a notice if your max is outbid, in case you have time to up it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I haven't used it in a log time,but a sniping program where you set your maximum bid you are willing to go and the program will bid for you until it hits your max,then it sends you a notice if your max is outbid, in case you have time to up it
    Ebay does this for you. The programs I'm talking about will email and text you so you do not need to even be near your computer to compete.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll use eBay if there is a used microphone or console in good enough shape for sale. I just set my maximum bid and forget about it until eBay emails me that the auction is over.

VIP Member
    Ebay does this for you. The programs I'm talking about will email and text you so you do not need to even be near your computer to compete.
    Yah. Plus the one I used would bid in fractions of a second. The poor schlep sitting at a keyboard during the last moments of an auction doesn't stand a chance. Even so, I was still getting one-up'ed by another piece of software that was getting in a nanosecond earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links