Saw a coyote at work last night....

This is a discussion on Saw a coyote at work last night.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work in Indianapolis. Not down town but in a very urban area. Last night on the way back to work after slipping out to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Saw a coyote at work last night....

Saw a coyote at work last night....

I work in Indianapolis. Not down town but in a very urban area. Last night on the way back to work after slipping out to get something to eat, I saw a coyote cross the street directly in front of where I work. Not only that, it stopped in the road and looked at my car sitting there for about 30 seconds before very nonchalantly walking into the tall grass of a vacant lot. this was a firly large coyote too, about the size of a Labrador Retriever. Certainly much larger than I would have expected to see in an urban setting.

Then, about 4 hours later when I was leaving, in the same vacant lot were two full grown does. this place is a regular nature preserve. Not what I would have expected at all.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Nice, I dont know what the laws are in IN, or what your opinion is on hunting but in WV the coyotes are open season year round with no limit...basically cause they mess with deers and farm animals along with many other reasons.

That's a pretty common thing around here this morning they were so close to the house that they woke me up but If I would have gone out to try and get them I knew I would have been up and had a few hours more of sleep I wanted to get

When I lived in Phoenix I was amazed with the amount of coyotes running around in housing developments and parking lots and such

Quote Originally Posted by modernknight View Post
    Nice, I dont know what the laws are in IN, or what your opinion is on hunting but in WV the coyotes are open season year round with no limit...basically cause they mess with deers and farm animals along with many other reasons.
    i've killed many of them in my life. But, this is inside the city, I doubt the people who live near by would have taken kindly to me opening up on him. And I am quite sure there is a law against discharging a firearm in the city limits of Indianapolis, the largest city in Indiana.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Coyotes are becoming like a plague of rats in many urban areas for a number of reasons. They have no natural predators, we keep reducing their natural habitat and food supply with more WalMarts and housing additions taking it away with each passing day, they're smart enough to figure out they don't get shot at in a heavy urban area, and we've trained them to be "non-working parasites" (like many of our own species) by leaving them lots of free stuff in gabage cans that they've grown to become dependent upon with no effort of their own instead of taking care of themselves.
    sureshot1 and TN_Mike like this.

I see "Coyotes" down here all the time,but mainly at night when they are smuggling groups of undocumented cub scouts across the river
    sureshot1 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    City coyotes are one of the reasons pet cats and small dogs disappear.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Hahaha....I wish the laws against discharging firearms in the city limits actually keept it from happening. I killed a coyote last week while deer hunting with my bow....was stalking a Buck at 40-50 yards and he jumped the deer....then sat there looking at me for 10 minutes...then he died...lol

Administrator
    It always kills me when people call 911 when they see a coyote in the city that I work. They want us to come rushing out and hunt it down.... but don't kill it... just do something about it.

We had a lady who bought an very nice, expensive home that sat back in the woods; she would call 911 when deer would cross through her yard or a raccoon was in a tree outside her window. That happened fairly routine for about the first 6 months she was there. Then she would complain because we wouldn't do anything about it.
    In the spring, people will call us to ask what we are going to do about the deer who just ate all their flowers. Some will even insist we take a report for it... dumbasses.

When they see coyotes, it just sends them over the edge. LOL. Yuppies, got to love 'em.

One of my coyote stories happened a few years ago, this time of year in fact, just before Thanksgiving. Myself and two other officers where driving through an area that is very urban en route to pick up some furniture for one of the guys. We all had just got off of 1st shift. It was snowing fairly heavy, but not much was sticking on the ground. All of a sudden, the guy driving the SUV we were in slams on the brakes, and the single axle trailer we were pulling starts sliding out from behind the SUV. The driver, a city boy, starts yelling about a dog being in the road way. Due to the snow and everyone being a little startled, we just caught a glimpse of the coyote trotting off, going down an alley way. I said it was a coyote, he said no, I was nuts that it was a small shepherd... the very next day there was a huge article in the paper about the exploding coyote population, in that neighborhood in particular. It even mentioned them causing minor auto accidents. LOL.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The green spaces incorporated into many of the urban landscapes are now home to many furry creatures. Nature continues. Hurrah.

Yes Mike, the people in the Subdivision might frown upon the activity of shooting a Coyote, even though it may be warranted or even necessary to do so. Coyote's are becoming a problem in many areas because they are so cunning and can adapt to many different habitats.

Typically "wild" animals that have adapted to human occupied areas grow rather large due to available food sources. I know that Racoons in many areas raid the garbage cans and eat just about anything edible in them. Coyotes probably do the same. If people have dogs or cats that stay outside, the food placed in their dishes will be an invitation for a Coyote to finish off what the pet does not consume.

If their food sources are limited then they will look elsewhere. That is the key to ridding any place of wild animals. No food source, no aninmal.

Of course fatal gunshot wounds can also be beneficial in removing an unwanted critter too!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

your right. I was not suggesting to discharge a fire arm with in city limits...unless you scream "its comming right toward me!!!" lol
    Making a joke guys. There is actually a "with in city limits or urban bow hunting stamp' here...course its for deer though but I doubt you will get in any trouble if you arrowed a yote.

They tend to be rather rampant in my part of Ohio, which is a couple hour drive from you Mike. In a subdivision I used to live in, they would run the creeks down between the hills at night, and you could hear them making their kills. People complained, but the village had a strict "no discharging firearms" rule, even though coyotes are 24/7/365 in Ohio.

They snatch people's purse dogs, and they get all mad about it. They are everywhere. I have also almost tagger a couple nice bucks with my 4500 lb projectile that moves at 65mph in the past couple weeks.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I got three last weekend with my AR. Plan on getting more this weekend. Gotta thin them out before calving season hits. One of them I shot with my G23 using FMJ's. Took one shot to the neck then a kill shot to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    City coyotes are one of the reasons pet cats and small dogs disappear.
    That what I tell the neighbors when their pest, err I mean pets come up missing.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links