Firearm's opener- deer

Firearm's opener- deer

This is a discussion on Firearm's opener- deer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gman, he did not get by me this time. Well, I was laid up for the second half of muzzleloader season. Neck and upper back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Firearm's opener- deer

Firearm's opener- deer

Gman, he did not get by me this time.

Well, I was laid up for the second half of muzzleloader season. Neck and upper back problems, still trying get completely over it. I was not about to miss rifle opener though. Sore neck and lack of sleep were not going to keep me out of my treestand. My daughter's basketball game nearly did. But I promised to be out in time to go to the game. I got in my stand about 6 am or so. About 6:30 I had a red fox work through the edge of the clearcut. A few minutes later I saw movement where the fox disappeared. Glassed it with my binoculars and saw this guy working the edge of the cut towards me. At 6:55 I dropped the hammer on this guy. My .270 with 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tips put him right to the ground. His rack is not terribly impressive, but he had some size to him. Normally I would have stayed to see if anything else moved, but I had to get him dressed before the game. Going to make this guy into sausage. Hopefully I'll get a few more now that he ball is rolling.

WHEC724 and Stubborn like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    He looks tasty, let us know how it goes.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I got in my stand about 4:45AM. I saw one doe while I was walking in from our shack and the rest of the day only two more that were walking across the neighbor's property. Everyone else I went with couldn't believe how slow it was; nobody got a deer, a few saw one or two doe, but we don't shoot them.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Good job chief! Im not into antlers myself, and prefer a good eating sized doe. Here we are able to harvest 3 doe and 1 antlered deer, for a total of 4. I was lucky with this one;

It walked out from some thick cover long enough for me to bust it with my 270 using handloads with a Sierra 130 soft point. It was the biggest 8 pointer I have ever seen, bigger in body and antler mass than some 10 and 12 pointers I have harvested. It took 3 of us just to drag it.
    The second pic is my friends from Texas who came in to hunt with me. I gave it to them.

I am tagged out now, having put 4 in the freezer. The deer that gave me the best hunt is this big fat doe;

I shot her at a severe angle, getting only one lung. I had to track her for almost 600 yards through heavy brush, and a sporadic at best blood trail. Sometimes I had to get down on my knees and look for blood specks in the leaves. It took me about 3 hours to find her, but these are the hunts you dont forget.

Mrs Gman is gonna give it a try next weekend. The truth is, Im tired of cutting up and packaging meat! But it sure is good!
    WHEC724, Stubborn and oneshot like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'm getting interested in hunting- I've never done it, and I'm missing fresh meat. Probably going to use my 12ga, and carry my 'new' 1911 as a backup.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Yeah, the packing is a bit tedious. And the sausage is even more work. But the first bite I took of it I was sold. Just an old fashioned sage sausage recipe with 50/50 venison and pork butts. MMMMMM, good. He's in the cooler on ice now. I should start cutting on him tonight or tomorrow.

Nice looking deer there Gman. I would have likely picked up a doe if I could have stayed on stand. The does generally move through about 8:30 to 9:30. I'll be back in either Thur morning or Sat with my step dad.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You guys are killin' me! I've come up dry on 6+ years now in the tag lottery here in AZ, whereas back in CT I'd be enjoying a bountiful harvest in Litchfield County. The CT firearms season opened this Wednesday, and I miss the freeze-my-nuggies-off time in the tree stand the first few days of the season.

chiefjason, you're off to a good start, and my best wishes for a pain-free rest of the season (I can identify...)

glockman, that iron skillet is calling out to me! Looks scrumptious!

And for all the hunters out there, antlers might look good on the wall, but they add nothing to the taste!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Venison tenderloins fried in butter with salt and pepper. Scrambled eggs with homemade salsa. Big mug of coffee. My treat to myself for a successful hunt. I quit freezing tenderloins and just started eating them fresh. Mo yummy!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Congrats "chiefjason"

+1 with the "Glockman" on a Doe for the freezer. I arrowed a nice one in Ohio on Halloween night @ 15 mins before dark.
    2011 Doe.jpg

This is her, hanging in the barn the next morning.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I moved to Colorado too late to hunt this year but am doing some scouting now. The area I am in has unlimited over the counter elk tags for the second and third seasons in most of the management areas.

Lucky for me I still have a freezer full of whitetail so I am not doing without.

The group I went out with ended up with two does and a 2x3 second day of the season a big buck at least a 5x5 if not bigger came running out of a fence line and we both were shooting at it and found three drops of blood in around 3 miles of following the tracks so hopefully he will return and still be Alive because I am really wanting that buck

It seems to have been a crumby season in MN for most everyone I've talked to, our party included. We got 1, for 3 tags. The weather just wouldn't cooperate.

I got a good size doe, got flipped off a couple of times driving back in to town with it on the hood of my jeep.... It's a wrangler where else was I supposed to put it?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I'm sitting out this deer season. The deer are getting heavier, the drags are getting longer, the hoist up is getting harder. Birds and bunnies for this fella this year.

Nice deer. I'll take a decent sized doe any day. This guy just happened to get there first.

I bought 17 lbs of pork butts today. Got a deal on it for $1 a lb. Need to get another bottle of rubbed sage. I'll be making sausage on Sat afternoon. I'll be hunting Sat morning first though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links