Another case of finding a Fed GPS tracker under your car, SCOTUS case pending

This is a discussion on Another case of finding a Fed GPS tracker under your car, SCOTUS case pending within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...imes-two/all/1 GPS.jpg...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Another case of finding a Fed GPS tracker under your car, SCOTUS case pending

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My question is, if someone puts a device on or in my car without my explicit permission and leaves it there for a week or more, is it considered abandoned property and thus mine to do with as I please?

If I found one of those on my car, my mind would be in warp drive thinking of all the fun things I could do with it. Slap it on a city bus or a freight train, put it in Tupperware and float it down a big river, leave it in a dumpster at foreign consulate... maybe convince one of my LEO friends to drive around with it for a few days. The possibilities are endless.
    WHEC724, OD*, Dadsnugun and 8 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

They should need a warrant for this kind of thing...period. If we, as a nation are are above water-boarding our enemies (one of the few instances that I've agreed with our current President) then we sure as heck should be above warrantless tracking of our own citizens day to day movements!

Quote Originally Posted by wireless.com
    "The Obama administration will be defending the warrantless use of such trackers in front of the Supreme Court on Tuesday morning. The administration, which is attempting to overturn a lower court ruling that threw out a drug dealer’s conviction over the warrantless use of a tracker, argues that citizens have no expectation of privacy when it comes to their movements in public so officers don’t need to get a warrant to use such devices."
    Does anyone know what's become of this?
    Last edited by Dadsnugun; November 22nd, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    They should need a warrant for this kind of thing...period. If we, as a nation are are above water-boarding our enemies (one of the few instances that I've agreed with our current President) ...
    I let some sadistic friends water-board me, just to get a sense of what it was about. Not fun, but I had far worse things done to me in boot camp.
    TN_Mike, thephanatik and jumpwing like this.

I think this is a hoax,THEY are already able to track us by cell phones,why use such an antiquated piece of equipment?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    I think this is a hoax,THEY are already able to track us by cell phones,why use such an antiquated piece of equipment?
    Maybe its not the Feds tracking him , Maybe its a drug dealer scouting for a new mule or tracking an old one.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    They should need a warrant for this kind of thing...period. If we, as a nation are are above water-boarding our enemies (one of the few instances that I've agreed with our current President) then we sure as heck should be above warrantless tracking of our own citizens day to day movements!

The Obama administration will be defending the warrantless use of such trackers in front of the Supreme Court on Tuesday morning. The administration, which is attempting to overturn a lower court ruling that threw out a drug dealer’s conviction over the warrantless use of a tracker, argues that citizens have no expectation of privacy when it comes to their movements in public so officers don’t need to get a warrant to use such devices.

The 4th Amendment protects against unlawful searches and seizures. To my understanding this device doesn't search or seize and is legal. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member

The Obama administration will be defending the warrantless use of such trackers in front of the Supreme Court on Tuesday morning. The administration, which is attempting to overturn a lower court ruling that threw out a drug dealer’s conviction over the warrantless use of a tracker, argues that citizens have no expectation of privacy when it comes to their movements in public so officers don’t need to get a warrant to use such devices.

In January, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that it's permissible for law enforcement to attach GPS devices to vehicles without search warrants. Therefore, any administration will have to defend this. It has nothing to do with politics.

The case I think was already heard by The Supremes most of whom were highly skeptical of the government's position. Rulings to come of course by June.

I hope the Supremes knock it down, but again, this is not a political issue.

Just because something you don't like happens during a particular administration doesn't mean the administration is responsible for causing the problem.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

argues that citizens have no expectation of privacy when it comes to their movements in public so officers don’t need to get a warrant to use such devices.
    Good point. Where do I sign up to have that chip implanted in my forehead?

Michael
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Any administration will have to defend this. It has nothing to do with politics. The case I think was already heard by The Supremes most of whom were highly skeptical of the government's position. Rulings to come of course by June.

Please don't politicize the ordinary actions which must be taken. If there is a case where the US or its employees are named as defendants, Uncle is stuck. And, there are also some interesting legal issues here given that lower courts found this practice perfectly OK. Otherwise, it wouldn't be at the Supremes.

I hope the Supremes knock it down, but again, this is not a political issue.

Just because something you don't like happens during a particular administration doesn't mean the administration is responsible for causing the problem.
    I must disagree with the idea that Administration has to defend their actions in Court. They are under no obligation to defend the improper unlawful acts of their employees.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I must disagree with the idea that Administration has to defend their actions in Court. They are under no obligation to defend the improper unlawful acts of their employees.

Michael

It would be really interesting to find out how long this has been going on; GPS tracking devices have been around for along time. I don't think (guessing) this idiotic practice was started by this administration but they are stuck defending it.

LATER_ Just did a little googling. Yes, the Supremes have heard it. According to one AP report the Justices didn't much like it when the government's attorney said the government had the right to put these on the Justices vehicles.

I think they will vote thumbs down on the practice. Again, this is a legal issue and not a political issue.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If I were to find one on my vehicle, I'd consider it mine. It would be removed and permanently disabled. I do like the Tupperware in the river idea!.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

They can come track me if they wish to, but it may be the last thing they do, bacause I'm 100% sure they would be bored to death.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    They can come track me if they wish to, but it may be the last thing they do, bacause I'm 100% sure they would be bored to death.
    I second this. I drive about four places on a regular basis. Although, I would be pretty tempted to stick it to one of the tractor-trailers that frequent my workplace if I ever found one. How would they feel if I started making bi-weekly runs to Seattle from Phoenix?

VIP Member
    If the Fed can put a tracking device on a vehicle without a warrant, what is to stop Joe Citizen from putting one on someone else's vehicle? Its a pretty slick slope.
    Hopyard and TN_Mike like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links