what are your opinions on this date.....

This is a discussion on what are your opinions on this date..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok so i did a search and didnt really find anything like thia and i am wondering what tou would do in this situation....... Just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: what are your opinions on this date.....

what are your opinions on this date.....

Ok so i did a search and didnt really find anything like thia and i am wondering what tou would do in this situation.......

Just started talking to this girl around a month ago. Weve hung out a couple of times before. Got to know each other pretty well, and what we are "looking" for which is almost the same things.... then i popped the question (no not that one), "what are your opinions on firearms/guns?"

Reply: Well for hunting and self defense and recreation i see no problems. Its just the criminals with them i am worried about. She also said, that "i have never fired any gun before, never even touched one... i really want to learn how to use them."

At which point i said i could teach you if youd like...... and showed her a pic that had my beretta px4, s&w m&p, and my colt ar15.

To which she immediately replied, that she would like how to disassemble and reassemble and maintain.....

We have a date next week where she will be coming over to get familiar with the guns, then that weekend we go to the range.....
    She says she is excited and eager to learn...

Now, you are probably wondering why in the hell do we wanna know your "love life"?

Well, my fellow citizens in arms, i am asking for tips and advice as i have no experience with women+guns at the same time... thimgs to say, not to say and not to do.... what worked best for you in that situation if you have been there. And your thoughts on the situation over all

Thanks
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

....treat her the same as you normally would..the flirting is cool, as there will be some flirting. I would suggest not becomming a Drill instructor, it is easy to do when you are showing some one new to guns. just remember to not fall into the habit that teacher/instructors fall into...just cause you know it and it is common sense to you does not mean she knows it..be careing informative, encourage questions and focus on safety and PMI. And dont forget to make it fun that way she will want to do it again. take her to dinner or something after...if you play the cards right you can turn going to the range into a special thing for the two of you and she will want to go as often or more then you....And if some one is new to guns they may either be timid or act silly cause they are more interested in flirting then the guns themselves...just have paticience (yes i spelled that wrong) Good luck hope it all works out
    MinistrMalic likes this.

Administrator
    Take it slow and easy laid back approach. No need to show off what you have, know or don't know. You have no idea how long things will last, no need to put everything on the table early on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

oh and unless she is really into it and wants you to impress her, dont make smiley faces on the targets..lol this trip is all about her learning...not you showing off...I am guilty of doing that. I was doing pistol instruction for a security company and a girl I was seeing needed help..I started off with how great a shot I was and trying to impress her...realized it was not working..focused on her, got her confident and qualified....that worked better cause now she knew I was interested in her not just the weapons

Do what the first two poster said. Then ask her to marry you! She sounds like a keeper! Seriously though, be "gentle", go slow, don't act like a drill instructor or know it all, take it easy and make it fun. She sounds like someone that may fit into one's long term plans.

At least I would consider her way ahead of anyone who initially said "Oh, my, I hate those nasty things! They are dangerous and I never want to be around them! Only police and the military should have guns! Why can't people just get along and love one another. Peace and flowers and love! And no one should kill poor helpless animals just for fun! They should go to the grocery store to get their meat where no animals are harmed in the process!"
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Ahhhhhhhh..........I can smell Hoppes 9 in the air....................

Just be yourself, nothing more, nothing less, and have fun. Time will tell.
    Old School likes this.

Ever since I told my SO if she wanted to be with me, she had better get used to having guns around, she has done a near 180 from her previously anti-gun stance. I am just getting into handguns myself, and she has been, for the most part, along for the ride; so much so that her comment the other day was, "I want to go shoot the 9mm again". I've found that it's something we can do together, and it feeds her competitive streak.

My advice would be to start small [caliber/oomph], and work up from there. What really helped ease my SO's apprehension was when I turned her loose with a Ruger Mark I. From there, I've put her behind all manner of loaned firearms. Unsurprisingly, the conclusion has been that she has the most control of, and fun with, a 1911, or just about anything 9mm. Putting something bigger in her hands is a recipe for pushing her outside of her comfort zone.

Easy does it is the way to go. Keep it fun and interesting for her and don't leave the impression that it's all you do.
    MinistrMalic likes this.

Do the instruction as if she was a total stranger, you are basically trying to show this person about the use and function of handguns. I think she will respect you and perhaps grow to like you even more if it is treated that way. Then if it progresses a bit farther, then good for you, now there is another person who has been introduced to the safe handling of firearms that you can have a relationship with.

I remarried a few years ago and my wife asked me one evening to do the same with my handguns. She had been around firearms but had only fired one handgun in her life. Long story short, went over it just like she was a student who I did not know and it progressed to range, CCW class, Carry Permit and being an owner of a handgun.

Hope it works out for you as well.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I'd be a bit more skeptical myself. Something seems wrong that she has never shot a gun in her life and suddenly eagerly wishes to learn to disassemble and reassemble firearms. In my experience woman are inherently anti-gun until they are exposed to them some and become comfortable with them.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'd be a bit more skeptical myself. Something seems wrong that she has never shot a gun in her life and suddenly eagerly wishes to learn to disassemble and reassemble firearms. In my experience woman are inherently anti-gun until they are exposed to them some and become comfortable with them.
    Perhaps it's something she has always wanted to try, and never had the opportunity. I imagine that the "gun" community can be intimidating for those on the outside looking in.

Oh come one folks... Guns are easier to understand than women...
    Rock and Glock likes this.

After 23 years of marriage, hubby never asked this question "so what do you think about firearms" - until last winter. My reaction was the same as your new gf's. And, here I am, 8 months later, on this forum and first time owner of handguns (3 so far). My advice, OP, is don't smother her as she learns. Even tho you are more experienced, make this a partnership. She may want this gun and that gun and encourage her in whatever decision she makes, whether or not you would make that same decision. Hubby and I have a great time, each with our own choices, at the range together. We are constantly checking each other's progress and helping each other when asked or something observed that needs tweaking. It's been a lot of quality funtime while serving a great need of learning personal defense. It's also bonding!

I wish you many happy times ahead!
    Carpe Diem

VIP Member
    Take is slow, and remember, size does matter. Take a small gun to the range, not a magnum mood killer. Use a .22 or another mild caliber choice as an introduction.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Not to mention that most people who are not familiar with firearms don't realize that firearms need to be be disassembled for maintenance.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links