JFK assassinated 48 years ago today......what were you doing?

This is a discussion on JFK assassinated 48 years ago today......what were you doing? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Most everyone who was alive at the time, remember what they were doing when they heard about the JFK assassination. I was in elementary school, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: JFK assassinated 48 years ago today......what were you doing?

VIP Member

JFK assassinated 48 years ago today......what were you doing?

Most everyone who was alive at the time, remember what they were doing when they heard about the JFK assassination.

I was in elementary school, the intercom came on and the principal announced, "Boys and girls, our President has been shot". We got this announcement about an hour or so after it actually happened. Our teacher quickly left the classroom presumably to find out more details at the office. For a class of kids without a teacher we sat quietly, barely saying a word to each other. I remember one girl in our class started crying. We just sat there sort of taking it all in.

I went home as usual and we watched television throughout the evening on two black & white channels. IIRC I believe most of the normal programs were pre-empted by continuous news. We watched most of the weekend and happened to be watching the live shot when Ruby killed Oswald.

Along about that time, we did hear that some film of the assassination existed (Zapruder) but it was quite some time later before we actually saw it, it was not shown publically until years later.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Well most here weren't even a gleam yet. as for me I was in a 10th Grade Electronics class. On another note I was actually at the hotel in LA at the time Robert Kennedy was shot. Just a stroke of fiat. I was working as a tow truck driver and was there picking up a car. Needles to say I got back to my station late.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I was in 8th grade in NJ at the time. We were in a small town and our school didn't have a PA system, so the principal went around to the classrooms to tell their teachers. About 2:30 (EST) I was heading out to safety patrol duty and I heard a nearby church bell ringing, which I took to mean the President was dead.

Our little town of maybe 1500 pulled together a very somber gathering outdoors at the borough hall the next morning for prayers and a brief speech from our mayor. My scout troop was there, and I was the flag bearer.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Wasnt born yet. From my fathers account, it was a bad day......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I was in third grade, we were on a field trip...walking to the public library. Some man on the street stopped our teacher and told her.
    She turned us around and we went back to school. The entire school went to the auditorium and watched on the TV.
    They closed the school early that day.
    I remember we only had 3 channels back then, it was on all three channels for about a week.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    I was in Miss Laudenslager's second grade classroom. Miss Morgan made the announcement over the PA, and told us to all go home.

I was in elementary school in So California and we lived close enough that I could go home for lunch and return. When I got home, my mother was crying, watching the tv. Back at school, an assembly was called to make the announcement and school let out early.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm
    CrossBreed Super Tuck
    Glock 27
    Galco IWB
    SureFire E2D

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I knew something was wrong when the sirens went off - in the 465th Bomb Wing (Heavy). We immediately went on high alert and our nine B-52s were cleared for takeoff and in 3 minutes all 9 were airborne. The remaining B-52s had crews swarming all over them, getting them ready. About 15 minutes later I received a call from my wife to tell me that the president had been shot.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I was in my fourth grade class...

A lot of us cried...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I was a senior in college. I was having a coffee break when I noticed a large crowd start to gather around the tv in the corner. That was of course the first news and how I learned of the shooting. The rest of the weekend was a blur. Things got even crazier when Oswald was shot. On Monday after I took a 12 hour train trip. No one spoke. There was a grim thick-worried funereal atmosphere on board.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Clark University physics lab.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I was in kindergarten and arrived home to find my mother ironing clothes in front of the TV and crying. I vividly remember later watching the funeral live. In particular, the riderless horse with boots backward in the stirrups really stuck in my mind.

I was in fifth grade at a Catholic school in Massachusetts...the nun went to the door and came back crying a moment later...

Shortly after that, we heard we were having early dismissal...when we went outside, all the parents were crying...my mother told me before my middle brother got in the car...

I share my birth date with JFK, and being from Massachusetts (at the time) he was special to us...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Had just gotten home from 9th grade and was watching TV when they came on saying the President was shot. Also saw when Ruby shot Oswald then the funeral coverage.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I was 17 years old and sitting in the dentist chair when the nurse came in saying that President Kennedy had been shot.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links