Malls track shoppers' cell phones on Black Friday

This is a discussion on Malls track shoppers' cell phones on Black Friday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Be nice and help the poor guys, do not forget to turn on your cell phone : Malls track shoppers' cell phones on Black Friday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Malls track shoppers' cell phones on Black Friday

GM [OP]

Be nice and help the poor guys, do not forget to turn on your cell phone :

Malls track shoppers' cell phones on Black Friday - Nov. 22, 2011
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I don't have to worry about Short Pump Town Center tracking me. I refuse to go there. Not only are the stores over priced, the traffic in the area is horrendous and the layout of the mall sucks.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I feel bad for anyone tracking me. They must be bored out of their mind.
    atctimmy, mr.stuart and ksholder like this.

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I feel bad for anyone tracking me. They must be bored out of their mind.
    That's what I always say to the paranoids who insist the government is watching/collecting data on all of us. Somewhere there is a gov't employee bored out of his scull and begging his supervisor to watch someone who actually gets off the couch once in a while.

The management company of both malls, Forest City Commercial Management, says personal data is not being tracked.

Yep, and the government is here to help you.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm surprised that this kind of tracking has not been done for years by multiple methods. If one could trust that no personally identifiable info was collected I'm not sure I care if they know everyone who visits Victoria's Secret also visits the food court. I go to the mall once or twice a year, don't like the crowds and can get most everything mail order. Wonder how many people in the mall see the sign, read the sign, understand the sign and turn their phone off?

"Still, the company is preemptively notifying customers by hanging small signs around the shopping centers. Consumers can opt out by turning off their phones." No I can opt out by taking my business elsewhere.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Their not tracking me, that I do know. WHY ?? Because my cell phone doesn't go anywhere with me !! I'm not that important that I have to have a phone with me at all times. I know there are a lot of people that are because I see them all the time. Their on the phone in their car, at the store, in the restaurant, in the hospital, and they are all saying CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW, loud enough so every one around them can hear them. Must be nice to be so empotant.
    Guest1, atctimmy and noway2 like this.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    Their not tracking me, that I do know. WHY ?? Because my cell phone doesn't go anywhere with me !! I'm not that important that I have to have a phone with me at all times. I know there are a lot of people that are because I see them all the time. Their on the phone in their car, at the store, in the restaurant, in the hospital, and they are all saying CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW, loud enough so every one around them can hear them. Must be nice to be so empotant.
    So you carry a gun, but no phone?

How do you call 911 if you need help, say, after a defensive shooting? Or being a good witness if you see a crime being committed?

Carrying a phone is not a matter of importance, as much as it is preparedness.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I will give you one better, there are companies that I deal with that can pinpoint the cell phone location. Not just inthe mall Anywhere. If the phone has GPS with in 40 feet without GPS few hundred feet. Scary stuff. Will work with phone on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I will give you one better, there are companies that I deal with that can pinpoint the cell phone location. Not just inthe mall Anywhere. If the phone has GPS with in 40 feet without GPS few hundred feet. Scary stuff. Will work with phone on or off.
    Which is why if you want to go off the radar you need to remove the battery.
    Back when I was working 9-1-1 I got to watch the progression from no clue where you were, to closest tower. Next generation was what sector from that tower. By the time I left (2006) the newer phones would give me within about fifty feet.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    That's what I always say to the paranoids who insist the government is watching/collecting data on all of us. Somewhere there is a gov't employee bored out of his scull and begging his supervisor to watch someone who actually gets off the couch once in a while.
    First off there is a huge difference between private citizens doing something and the Government doing it. When done by a shopping mall I can refuse to do business with them. When the Government does it its not so easy to refuse.
    Secondly you presumption that if you are doing nothing wrong there is no need to be alarmed is one shared by many. After all, if you have nothing to hide do you really need to exercise your rights?

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    First off there is a huge difference between private citizens doing something and the Government doing it. When done by a shopping mall I can refuse to do business with them. When the Government does it its not so easy to refuse.
    Secondly you presumption that if you are doing nothing wrong there is no need to be alarmed is one shared by many. After all, if you have nothing to hide do you really need to exercise your rights?

Michael
    In many communities you have one mall or you drive 50-100 miles or more. If all the malls do it, you are out of luck. This, "its private so they can do what they want" mentality can be stopped only if folks complain and lawmakers make laws.

Frankly, I don't really much care if some mall techie follows me around the mall, but I don't believe they'll just get info that is detached from my identity. They'll get my contact list and sell it. They'll steal passwords and browser cache info; sooner rather than later.

And, I'm pretty sick of the sneaky cookies the advertisers stick on my computer that I can't even find and remove but know are there by the way the ads are served up.

Why is it that some folks [dang big companies] think they can literally come into my house and surreptitiously put stuff on my computer without permission; or that they can track my movements in the mall without my permission. Putting up a small sign isn't sufficient -- and in many other areas of life all sorts of "permission" "disclaimer" "denial of liability" don't really hold up, because wrong is still wrong.

I actually find it more annoying that the private sector does these things than if Uncle did them. At least when Uncle does it there are rules, regulations, controls, managers, oversight, authorizations. When private companies engage in this stuff its a free for all get away with whatever they can mentality.

But, what really frosts me is that my phone can be tracked even when it is turned off. That could be fixed with nothing more exotic than a microswitch. It isn't accident that phones are constructed to enable tracking as the default.

Who the heck got together in a big conference room and decided on that design? And why?
    And how come competition in the free market place hasn't produced a phone lacking that characteristic--and no company has advertised such a cut off as a reason to buy their product?

If I cared, pulling the battery would be easy on one of my phones. But it would be an ordeal on my iPhone.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Maybe, maybe the marketeers are not tracking indivuals - yet. But given enough time and too little thought, and they will track individuals. Think about how much these greedy folks would like to hit your phone with customized adds while you are in the mall.

Just another example of technology outpacing privacy rights driven by people who fail to understand the very basic tenants of personal liberty and freedom.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Maybe, maybe the marketeers are not tracking indivuals - yet. But given enough time and too little thought, and they will track individuals. Think about how much these greedy folks would like to hit your phone with customized adds while you are in the mall.

Just another example of technology outpacing privacy rights driven by people who fail to understand the very basic tenants of personal liberty and freedom.
    They'll not only send you the customized adds, you'll get stuck with the fee for the message received.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hopyard:
    While I agree with your sentiment in your reply to my last post That post was merely meant to point out the different rules that apply to Government and the private sector.

As far as the tracing cell phones goes. I remember when it was being discussed to implement this as a 'safety' feature for your protection. They even threw out the 'children' line to further entice people to accept it.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links