New Truck Bug

This is a discussion on New Truck Bug within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hate it when I get a new truck bug. It usually ends up with me, uh, buying a new truck I've got a 2003 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sureshot1

Thread: New Truck Bug

New Truck Bug

I hate it when I get a new truck bug.

It usually ends up with me, uh, buying a new truck

I've got a 2003 S-10, 2wd pickup with 150K miles for a daily commuter (100 miles round trip). It's been a decent truck. I had to replace an injector earlier this spring. That, and a few other minor glitches, puts me at $1K in repairs this year. Still, that's much cheaper than a truck payment.

Now that cold weather has hit, I'd like to use the defrost, but something isn't working properly so my air only blows through the rearward facing vents. Very little on the floor, or on the dash. Is this an omen of things to come?

I've been checking out some 4cyl, 4wd Tacomas, but man Toyota is sure proud of their trucks Even the used ones with 100K miles are stupid expensive.

I hate it when I get a new truck bug

There has got to be a cheaper antidote...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

I own a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4WD 6 cyl. and I wouldn't sell it or trade it for anything. Over 121,800 miles on it.

Toyota's do keep their value. Hope you find something in your price range but the pre-owned ones are even more expensive than looking at new vehicles.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Cheaper antidote : Buy a 12 volt hair dryer, plug it into your trucks 12 volt outlet, turn it on. You'll have instant hot air and can direct it wherever you please. Just be careful not to let some do gooder see it, as they may mistake it for being a gun and report it.
    Hopyard likes this.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    Cheaper antidote : Buy a 12 volt hair dryer, plug it into your trucks 12 volt outlet, turn it on. You'll have instant hot air and can direct it wherever you please. Just be careful not to let some do gooder see it, as they may mistake it for being a gun and report it.
    I'm trying to create justified reasons to make an unjustified purchase. You're not helping any by offering sensible alternatives.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Funny you should post this. I have a 2003 Toyota pk up with over 200,000 miles on it. It is a 4WD , 4 cyl and has the original clutch and rear brakes. Never did anything to it except regular maint.

I have the bug for a new one, and am going to the Toyota dealership in the morning.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Funny you should post this. I have a 2003 Toyota pk up with over 200,000 miles on it. It is a 4WD , 4 cyl and has the original clutch and rear brakes. Never did anything to it except regular maint.

I have the bug for a new one, and am going to the Toyota dealership in the morning.
    I went to the Toyota website, but it wouldn't let me build the one that I want. I want a 4cyl, 4X4, 5 spd manual, Access cab. The website will only let me have an automatic with the access cab and 4 cyl. If I want a manual transmission, I have to go with a V6 in access cab.

Do you know what model you are leaning toward?

truck note or repair notes....both suck

I want a 6 cyl, 5 spd with access cab and full length bed. I talked with a sales gal on the phone and she said some models with the 5 spd are kinda rare, but she has one of those on the lot.

I would be happy with the 4 cyl also.
    One thing the 4 cyl has going for it over the 6 cyl is the use of a timing chain, vs a timing belt found in the 6 cyl. To me that is a great selling point.

By the way, I am keeping my old Toyota, and trading the Harley, lol.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I hate it when I get a new truck bug.

It usually ends up with me, uh, buying a new truck

I've got a 2003 S-10, 2wd pickup with 150K miles for a daily commuter (100 miles round trip). It's been a decent truck. I had to replace an injector earlier this spring. That, and a few other minor glitches, puts me at $1K in repairs this year. Still, that's much cheaper than a truck payment.

Now that cold weather has hit, I'd like to use the defrost, but something isn't working properly so my air only blows through the rearward facing vents. Very little on the floor, or on the dash. Is this an omen of things to come?

I've been checking out some 4cyl, 4wd Tacomas, but man Toyota is sure proud of their trucks Even the used ones with 100K miles are stupid expensive.

I hate it when I get a new truck bug

There has got to be a cheaper antidote...
    My son had a Tacoma that we bought used kept for years and sold for a decent price. Never put money in it.

The one thing I do suggest making certain about--- assuming you don't follow Sureshot's wise advice,
    is get that 4wd. My son's Tacoma used to fishtail like crazy even on a modest uphill grade if the road was damp.

If I were looking for a new or different vehicle from what I have, what you are talking about is exactly what I would want--- except I'd want the 6. But, I don't commute 100 miles rnd trip a day.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Uh, have you thought about Nissan? They make some pretty nice trucks. Hold up as well as a Toyota, but cost less.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I've got the new vehicle bug, but the affordability equation comes up short.

My SUV (Swedish Utility vehicle) is a 19 year-old boxy Volvo wagon with about 250K on it. I had just finished paying off last year's medical bills when the (manual) trans went this past spring. I thought about retiring the car for maybe 10 seconds, but $1500 for the repair job equates to just a few average car payments, so that was a no-brainer. In spite of being a gearhead, my ego isn't closely tied to what I drive so I can content myself with a paid-off vehicle in the slow lane.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've got a Toyota Tacoma. Being a typical teen boy, originally I was upset that I wasn't getting a 'stang, and thought truck's were only for rednecks. But now I love my truck. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I named it Silver after Lone Ranger's horse, cause, well, that's what color it is & I loved watching reruns of Lone Ranger as a kid.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Links