Does anybody participate in a hunting land lease?

This is a discussion on Does anybody participate in a hunting land lease? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I never have... But I do have an opportunity to purchase a little over 100 acres in prime whitetail country for a decent price; aside ...

Thread: Does anybody participate in a hunting land lease?

Administrator

Does anybody participate in a hunting land lease?

I never have...

But I do have an opportunity to purchase a little over 100 acres in prime whitetail country for a decent price; aside from my personal interest and having a new toy, I hate spending that kind of money with little or no tangible return. So, I was thinking about leasing the land to a deer hunter(s) in order to help with my costs in land improvement which would lead to my ultimate goal. (no, its not developing the land)

So, if you do lease land on your own or with a group, how does it work? What kind of price do you pay? (I know price is highly subjective based on terrain, location etc) What do you look for in a lease? Do you lease just for the season, or entire year?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've been on a couple. One was 250 a year for 3000 acres of timberland.
    We had 18 people in it, we usually put around 30 deer on the pole in the first few days.

That was a blast. We used dogs, and lots of shots were on the run. It's a southern thing though, lots of northerners would lose sleep at the thought.

Another was 150 a year, that was for 1000 acres which was mostly pine. We had lots of stands, and on a clear cut you might be able to get a 500 yard shot. We had range markers every 100 yards so it wasnt that big of a deal if you knew how to shoot. Most of us did, we had some that couldnt hit their tail with both hands.

Leases run the year.

What do you look for in a lease? Deer of course.
    The people that you are with can make it or break it. If you lease with a bunch of dunkards, you could be taking your life in your hands. If you lease with a bunch of proffesional type nimrods that only shoot their guns once a year, that wake up late, go to bed late and just want to play poker all night, you might not like it.

I've been fortunate to lease with some great people that are a blast to sit around the camfire and shoot the bull with.

I'm not in any now, I've got too many deer here. This afternoon right before dark, I came out of my shop and had 9 does in the backyard looking at me. I see more deer right here at the house than I do anywhere else.

I once spent 3 days at a leaser and never fired a shot. Came home, parked the trucke and there was an 8 point standing there looking at me, so I whacked him. He is one of 8 racks on the wall. He wa big enough that I had to call one of my hunting buddies that was at the lease with me to come help me load him up in the truck so that I could process him.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Dont know a whole lot about them but I do have a good candidate in your area who would probably jump at the chance to be a lessee. PM me when you decide.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    There may be more return on that investment than you think. Unimproved land has a very low holding cost, and almost always goes up in value. You get an agricultural rate, hence taxes are minimal, plus it throws off cash whenever you 'thin' the timber. If you're looking at it as a long-term investment, you almost always win.

I lease out some property to hunters. I probably don't charge enough ($400 per year on a 100 acre tract, same for a 360 acre tract, same for some smaller tracts). I also make sure that they provide an updated 'hunters insurance' policy. Sometimes when times are tough, I just tell them to pay me when they can, and either they do or don't. I don't count on the income. They add value to me in several ways; 1) They tell me where the deer are, 2) They chase off trespassing dirtbags, 3) They'll shoot the wild hogs too 4) They'll warn me of erosion problems and such 5) They'll often thank me in venison.

Land is my favorite investment.

Depending on what/where/price I might be interested?

Keep us posted

Or if you need a friendly deer hunter(archery) to "keep an eye open while I'm there"

Good luck!

I knew a guy who used to run one. I forget exactly what he charged, but it was also a part of the deal that the leasee's had to spend a day a year on a work day, making improvements like clearing out shooting lanes, or whatever needed done. He would also take some off the rent for additional days of work.

If you wind up getting it, lemme know the details, unless you are trying to take my future firstborn son, I'll be interested.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I belonged to a hunt club for several years that leased land. The club was limited to just 12 members, and the annual dues were $600 per member, per year. Dues covered the lease plus liability insurance. Members could bring 1 guest on the property for up to 3 times per year, however, members had preference over guests. We signed in and signed out each time we came on the property. Non permanent tree stands and blinds were allowed, but any member could use any stand that was put up, on a first come first serve basis. Nobody got dibs. When you came on the lease, you signed in and placed your marker on the map, which was good for 50 acres - no one was allowed to hunt in your marked area until you signed out.

We had about 600 - 1000 acres of mixed fields, woods, streams, and paths. I looked for habitat, animal tracks, and the overall health of the land.

Our lease ran for the calendar year, and we could hunt the fall seasons, spring Turkey, and summer squirrel. The lease also allowed us to camp and fish on the property as well. Members were self-policing; we had a good thing going and if anyone got out of line the issue was addressed very quickly, but few problems ever developed. It was a good group of folks and a good way to hunt.

My dad and one of his co-workers lease land from one of their other co-workers (I get also get to hunt and the other guy brings his kids out too) and it seems like a decent arrangement. Our lease is probably over priced at $1000 a year split between two paying parties for about 70 acres but it is a pretty nice piece of land. Good mix of field and woods, we put up as many stands as we want and leave them up all year, come and go as we please and there is a barn that you could actually sleep in if you wanted to. So far, 3 of us have taken 9 or 10 deer out of there this year.

Leases in the area where we hunt generally run about $10/acre/year but smaller pieces of property (under 100 acres) seem to jack the price up a little.

All in all, I like it, though I don't actually have to pay any money haha.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I never have...

But I do have an opportunity to purchase a little over 100 acres in prime whitetail country for a decent price; aside from my personal interest and having a new toy, I hate spending that kind of money with little or no tangible return. So, I was thinking about leasing the land to a deer hunter(s) in order to help with my costs in land improvement which would lead to my ultimate goal. (no, its not developing the land)

So, if you do lease land on your own or with a group, how does it work? What kind of price do you pay? (I know price is highly subjective based on terrain, location etc) What do you look for in a lease? Do you lease just for the season, or entire year?
    First off, long term land is a great investment if you can keep the taxes low--either with an agricultural exemption or by keeping it undeveloped.

Keep the investment purpose paramount. If you are able to make a few bucks (no pun) with hunting leases, do it.

My cousin has 80 acres of undeveloped land surrounded by hundreds of acres of additional undeveloped land that belongs to others. It is a bit of a unique situation. Anyway, he won't lease it for hunting but he lets one particular neighbor hunt it in exchange for minor favors-- like running off trespassers.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

One thing for sure. They DON'T Make it no more (Land) A great investment. If you lease it, Make sure they have up to date insurance As WHEC said ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Links