Presbyopia anyone?

Presbyopia anyone?

This is a discussion on Presbyopia anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi Folks, I'm not too far from my second 25th birthday. As such, I have noticed that firearms manufacturers are no longer equipping their products ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presbyopia anyone?

Presbyopia anyone?

Hi Folks,

I'm not too far from my second 25th birthday. As such, I have noticed that firearms manufacturers are no longer equipping their products with the sharp front sights that used to be standard. It seems these days that no matter what brand I pick up, it has a fuzzy front sight. Curses!

Well, I recently had an eye checkup and the doc told me two things of interest: 1. LASIK surgery may eventually include a "window" of near correction, as though a bifocal lense is created in the lower portion of your field of vision. Kind of like an "internal" bifocal. This is still in the development stage and it will probably be "a while" before it is available. 2. You can now get contact lenses that correct for near vision. He described it as a small area of correction for near vision located at the center of the contact lens. You focus with the center area when looking at near objects, and look "around" that area to see distant objects.

I just thought I'd throw this out for those of you who may wish to consult your eye doc for options that may assist in shooting.

I hope this is of some value to some of the "senior" shooters on the forum.

SSKC

DC Founder
    Sorry I didn't answer this forum earlier, I read it when you posted but I must have spaced it out. I don't know if that is what I have but I wear glasses and when I have my reading glasses on I can see the both sights but the target is blurry. When I take them off I can see the target and the sights are blurry. I got bifocals thinking I could just move slightly and work it out. I was wrong. I now wear my glasses so I can see my sights and look at a blurry target most of the time.

I am holding off on getting Lsik or one of the others for now. A woman that works for me told me about a procedure they are working on now, but have not gained approval, where they use ultrasound to beat your eyes into correction. You can have it done multiple times to "tweak" your vision or years later if your eyes change again.....

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

Had it for years.

The men in my family enjoy incredible vision. My Dad did not need reading glasses until he was 51.

About the age of 46, I noticed that I needed more light to read. My wife noticed that I would move written words father and then closer to bring the size of that particular font into focus.

I didn't think it was an issue; I could still hit a golf ball at 80 yards with my Bren Ten, and my first varmint rifle had a 3x9 power scope.

Then computer screens got a bit bleary, and eye strain followed.

I got my first pair of reading glasses in my late forties. I still wear that first pair, in fact, I'm typing in them now.

Lately, I have had trouble bring the bead of my Marlin Guide Gun into focus. A light colored wall in front of the muzzle loses the pin in a blur. I'm thinking of installing one of those Hi-Viz red light rod sights.

It's no big deal and no slight to your manhood. I'm 54 now and walk around most of the day without glasses.

I do use a lighted loupe to check edges when I sharpen, but then, a jeweler does the same thing with close work.

It could be worse, my Mom wore glasses her whole life starting in her teens.

Rickman
    My "manhood" has never felt slighted because I wear glasses. At least I don't think it does

Thank God genetics blessed me with 20/08 vision... I have been noticing though that clos eup things are not nearly as crisp as what I can see off in the distance.

Did a test with a friend that claims to be 20/20. We would walk up to a given sign and stop when we were able to read all the contants clearly.

I would stop walking at least 10 feet before he had to stop walking. So in other words he would be at times 10 feet closer to said sign than I.

Are there any things one can do to strengthen myeyes? Techniques or the like?

~A

VIP Member
    I have incredibly bad vision. I've worn classes since the first grade. My optometrist says I'm not a good candidate for lasik, since my eyes will still worsen and I'll end up with glasses again, anyway.

Has anyone tried OPTX2020? These are the static cling "bifocals" that you put on your shooting glasses so that you can see your sights?

I have some ordered and was wondering if anyone has actually tried them. I figure for $20 they're worth giving a shot vs. plunking down $600 for custom prescription shooting glasses.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Tincup
    Has anyone tried OPTX2020? These are the static cling "bifocals" that you put on your shooting glasses so that you can see your sights?

I have some ordered and was wondering if anyone has actually tried them. I figure for $20 they're worth giving a shot vs. plunking down $600 for custom prescription shooting glasses.
    No, but as soon as I get home and get my prescription in hand I will be ordering a pair to try, too. Thanks for the heads up on the product :kay:

My wife wears her glasses when we go to the range. What is a URL to optx2020???

I figured, not like I am doing anything. Bumper, here is a link to OPTX2020-info

~A

OPTX 20/20 lenses are a recent technological advance and consist of a pair of soft plastic lenses that can be put on any pair of glasses or sunglasses and convert them into instant bifocal reading glasses. The lenses require no adhesives and can be removed and put on another pair of glasses if desired.

Received my OPTX2020 yesterday and got around to installing them on my shooting glasses.

I installed the bifocals at the top of my glasses lens so that normal vision isn't effected until I slightly tilt my head down so that I can see along the top of the slide and aquire my sights.

Haven't been to the range yet but just using them in dry fire exercises around the house has made a marked difference in being able to see a clear front sight. Looks like this might have been 20 bucks well spent.

I started wearing glasses when I was about 52 and had trouble reading computer logic diagrams. My CoWorkers would keep asking me questions about my diagnostic effort and then I knew something was astray. Today my shooting glasses are from Arizona(sport glasses), they are rose tinted and bifocal with the near sight lense at the top so I just lower my head and see the sights with them and the rest of the lense is for distance. The only problem I have is when I turn my head slightly to the right and loose the left lense bifocal my vision gets screwed up and I shoot way off.
    :P

I developed the same problem about 3 years ago. 20:20 distance vision, but just couldn't see up close anymore. Hated reading glasses because I never had 'em when I needed 'em, even tho there were some scattered all over the house. Could see the sights OR the target at the range, not both. Now I wear a bifocal contact lens in one eye only.....much better. Shoot with both eyes open and can see both sights and target, depending on which one I'm concentrating on.

I had Lasik done about 6 yrs ago...eyes were 20/100 with horrible amount of astigmatism. Both corrected to 20/20, but I still have a little astig in my right eye (right handed shooter) which gives me a little trouble. The lasik doesn't correct the need of "reading glasses". However, there is a new procedure called the crystal lens replacement that says they can replace your lens and you won't need reading glasses ever! I'm thinkin bout it !

Prospector, how has it affected your shooting? What is the cost on the Crystal Lens procedure. I have a shooting friend whose eyes are going to hell in a hand backet real quicklike and I would like to provide him with some info.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Administrator

Near Sighted

In other words...Close~up things looks crisp & clear without reading glasses ~ Far away stuff looks blurry.
    Here is something you can try.
    I don't know first hand if it will work for you or not.
    The big advantage is you can try it for nothing.
    Go to your regular optician, optometrist, ophthalmologist, whatever...go to your doggone eye doctor & get one free sample contact lens to correct your "distance vision" for your non-dominant eye.
    Put that one contact lens in only & you might discover that you can just get rid of your regular glasses most of the time.
    Some near sighted folks swear by this trick for target shooting.
    It's worth a try & it should not cost you anything to try it.
    Just one of those random tidbits of information that I heard about a couple of years ago.
    It's worth a "have a go at it."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links