Electronic cigarettes/quitting smoking.

This is a discussion on Electronic cigarettes/quitting smoking. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a friend who is finally going to try to quit smoking. He thinks it is more of something to do rather than addiction ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Electronic cigarettes/quitting smoking.

Electronic cigarettes/quitting smoking.

I have a friend who is finally going to try to quit smoking. He thinks it is more of something to do rather than addiction to the chemicals. We both think electronic cigarettes may fit the bill. Anyone know much about them?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes the feel of the barrel of a empty pen cut down to size of a cigarette between their fingers help cut down on urge to smoke. I only smoke once, at my cousins sweet sixteen party in front of my parents and grandparents. After the second drag deeper than first was enough to convice me to next smoke again.

If somebody is truly willing to quit go see this guy.Google the Mad Russian
    EXTRA: Rxtra | The Mad Russian

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have been reviewing a lot of these devices myself lately. I too have the most addiction to the physical "holding" of the cigarette. I can go hours between smokes with no real nicotine related problem.

There seems to be lot of difference in the brands. The more you spend, of course, the more you get in terms of batteries, battery life, taste of smoke and quality of the unit itself.

From my research I am going to try this brand I think:

E-CIGARETTES: Electric Cigarette Smoking Products | Green Smoke®
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

The best way is to just quit.

TVJ
    They are fantastic.

My wife uses one....with the non nicotine solution now. Flavored water based solution.

She gets to have all the physical hand smoking actions without any of the chemical side effects of cigs.

Now she only uses when we go out.

Buy a quality unit.

I recommend STRONGLY.

Good luck.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

What brand is she using TVJ?
    NRA Life Member

Nicotine IS a powerful drug ; ) Good Luck Hope you can kick the habbit
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    You're dead wrong if you believe that smoking is not a chemical addiction. I would've been mad years ago if someone had called me a drug addict when I was a smoker but the truth of the matter is that its really true. There are very real physical symptoms that result from smoking cessation because you're body is experiencing a chemical withdrawal. If it was no more than a habit, there wouldn't be the physical symptoms. How many times have you had physical symptoms because you missed your favorite sit com that you've been in the habit of watching? None, because that's not a chemical addiction.

If you go to the health department, you may find out that they have a smoking cessation program. If they do, they will give you the patch for as long as you're a part of the program. I have participated in this program and it does work if you will truly commit to it.

According to Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), you can't give up a behavior without substituting it with another behavior. If you try to quit, you need to find something else to do in place of it. Also, smoking increases metabolism so if you quit, take up walking as a way to offset the weight you will gain per your metabolism slowing down.

I have a friend that tried the smokeless cigarettes but she didn't stick with it. In the long run, its just so much cheaper to quit.

TVJ
    Joker,

This one:

The eGo-T 1000mAh "cigarette" is complete with the extended battery, giving you a larger drag and longer battery life. The kit includes (2) 1oz bottles the the nicotine of your choice. Two "cigarettes" (1000mAh batteries) and also comes complete with a home charger that doubles as a USB port to charge on the computer. The kit also contains extra tips and a full instruction manual.

Getting the right mix of the solution you "smoke" is really important. Find some local places to go in and test their mixes. You really want to enjoy the "flavor." Then you stick with it. The glycerin they use gives the smoke feeling on the back of your throat....fyi.

Again, for my wife, the unit above is fantastic as is "vaping" in general. She gets to do all the personal habits with the unit when we go out drinking on the weekend WITHOUT a real cigarette.

She swears by it. But she was also VERY committed to quitting as well. This unit took a HUGE amount of the edge off. She is cig free five years now with a 20 year history of smoking.

I smell nothing next to her. Its just water vapor (flavored for her (she doesn't need the nicotine liquid anymore)

Good Luck!!
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I use an e cigarette and they work great! Just spend a little more for the best, and use the nicotine cartridges.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I never expirienced withdrawl symptom from quitting smoking when i quit two weeks ago. some people get em some dont.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I loved mine! (note 'past' tense)

I switched to them a little over a year ago after winding up at a cardiologist and being told the usual of "lose weight and quit smoking" to which I joked that it could be one or the other. The nurse in the room kind of chuckled at that and after the doc left she reached in her pocket and pulled out her e-cigs and suggested trying them since they had nicotine (so no withdrawl) and the hand-to-mouth action (so no snacking to replace the activity). I really didn't want to quit since I actually enjoyed smoking (though, granted, not the lingering smell or the cost), especially at work taking a break with co-workers (that whole social thing) so I thought I'd give them a try. That was in early November and I kid you not that by mid to late January I had stopped smoking, even the e-cigs! I'm not exactly sure how it happened or precisely when but realized when someone at work asked how the e-cigs were working out for me and I went to get them only to realize that I didn't have them in my purse and couldn't remember just where I had left them or the last time I had used them

Granted I wasn't a heavy smoker to begin with and I didn't get them to help quit smoking but as a substitute since I smoked mainly at work and around other smokers so maybe that's what made it easy. The bottom line is that I had no intention of quitting and they helped me do so without really thinking about it and I didn't gain weight!
    These are the ones I used
    Breathe Fresh Electronic Cigarette | E Cigarette | Smokeless Cigarettes
    and have to say that having the battery charger "pack" definitely helped with the whole feel of things.

Anyway best of luck to him! I know it's a daunting task to face but believe me it's better for him to do it now because he wants to then being told he has to for his heart health or else.
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

I have bronchitis and when I was younger I smoked 1-2 packs a day. One day I had an attack in the middle of the night and went to the hospital. The doctor came in and asked me how much I smoked? After telling him his response was that he could cut my smoking in half. I asked how and his response was...... "Take out one of your lungs". That was all it took! He scared the heck out of me and I have never touched them since
    joker1 likes this.

Thanks for all of the intel everyone. We just ordered the Breathe Fresh starter kit and we'll see what happens. Thanks again.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iidesu View Post
    I heard water pipes are good. Those Arabs love that!
    They're called hookah pipes and are popular in certain areas of metro-Motown.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links