Shoot a deer..hit a horse

This is a discussion on Shoot a deer..hit a horse within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Once again this proves you are responsible for every bullet you fire. Man shoots horse, cited for cruelty | Aiken Standard...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shoot a deer..hit a horse

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Once again this proves you are responsible for every bullet you fire.

Man shoots horse, cited for cruelty | Aiken Standard
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Ugh. There's just no excuse.

When I'm in a stand, I've selected fire lanes on paths that I've previously determined that are safe to shoot in, which includes geometry that will put the shot into the ground.

I think the deer know this too. They often show up between me and the road.

I can't fathom letting a shot fly off through the woods.

I agree that the hunter is responsible for the horses death. I have a problem with the animal cruelty charge though. I doubt his actions were intentional.

Michael

Sad story, beautiful horse! Didn't follow the rules.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Since the shot was unintentional, I guess if he had shot a kid, he shouldn't be charged either? I'd say he's lucky getting off on the cruelty charge.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    My guess is that he (the hunter) is going to regret this big time--an "upper level" dressage horse is NOT cheap. I would not be surprised if he was sued for $20,000 or more. If some numbskull shot one of my horses, you can be sure that he would pay for a good replacement horse or we'd see each other in court and then he'd possibly get to pay for the new horse anyway plus the court costs and my attorney fees.
    azchevy likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    My guess is that he (the hunter) is going to regret this big time--an "upper level" dressage horse is NOT cheap. I would not be surprised if he was sued for $20,000 or more. If some numbskull shot one of my horses, you can be sure that he would pay for a good replacement horse or we'd see each other in court and then he'd possibly get to pay for the new horse anyway plus the court costs and my attorney fees.
    Agree with this whole heartily.
    My problem is with the animal cruelty charge. If he can be charged with animal cruelty then anyone killing an animal could be too. A person in my rural area was charged with this for killing a sick dog.
    The cruelty charge should be reserved for cases of cruelty and not used as a convenient charge when someone kills an animal.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by horse2water View Post
    Since the shot was unintentional, I guess if he had shot a kid, he shouldn't be charged either? I'd say he's lucky getting off on the cruelty charge.
    Huge difference between a person and property.

Michael

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by horse2water View Post
    He didn't say the hunter should not be held responsible, just that it was not an act of cruelty. The cruelty charge may getting off light. It may be be the animal cruelty charge has a more severe punishment than a more accurate charge might. I don't know but I agree that this was not an act of cruelty but one of stupidity and negligence.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

He'll pay dearly for that horse..... as it's not just the horse, but all of the training it's had, etc.

I don't buy the story that he was shooting at a deer and it happen to hit the horse, bottom line... he shot across property lines at a distance at a horse... thinking it was a deer.

Here, your bullet better not enter another person's property, or you are in trouble.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    Agreed, no excuse for shooting a horse. As for the cruelty charge, negligent and reckless are also culpable states of a crime.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed, no excuse for shooting a horse. As for the cruelty charge, negligent and reckless are also culpable states of a crime.
    This is what he should be charged with in my opinion. I have no sympathy with folks who endanger others or their property. It could just have easily been a person standing behind the deer he shot at.

Michael

I can't say I have every had a round that appeared to exit up away from the ground when shot from a treestand. I'm not buying the story. I'm guessing there was no buck. I wonder if they could get an idea of whether the round was expanded when it entered the horse from hitting something else? I have certain areas of my property where I have had to pass up shots. Lots of houses around me. Most of my shots are down into a creek bed.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Regardless of whether his "story" is fabricated or not, his "misplaced" bullet is going to be a very expensive bullet. That is a high-priced mistake, being a well-bred, highly trained warmblood. I doubt he has a liability umbrella. As a personal aside, that does not look like a deer by any stretch, and I don't even hunt.

Thinking further about this, I have a Chestnut / Liver gelding, my wife a Sorrel gelding. When we ride into the Nat'l Forest this time of year, we and the boys are decked out in florescent yellow, orange and green ribbons and tapes that flutter and really catch the light and catch the eye. I just don't want to be shot off of, or have my boy shot out from under me. I might consider some tapes when they are out to pasture too, based on this story.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    This will be expensive. Aiken is Polo country. The flat, sandy soil & popularity with celebrities going back to Teddy Roosevelt, has made it a retreat for the obscenely wealthy. A lot of the Kentucky 'blue bloods' have migrated here, and the owner looks like one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links