Fiction is fiction...

This is a discussion on Fiction is fiction... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some inaccuracies in a fiction writing can be forgiven but what bothers me are the ones that contradict actual historical record....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fiction is fiction...

Some inaccuracies in a fiction writing can be forgiven but what bothers me are the ones that contradict actual historical record.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Some inaccuracies in a fiction writing can be forgiven but what bothers me are the ones that contradict actual historical record
    That happens when the writer assumes everyone that reads his book is as dumb as he is.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Are you reading the book because you want an entertaining story, or did you expect an owners manuel to whatever firearm is mentioned in the story?
    Understood. But it'd be like saying "Bob jumped itnto the 1978 Ford Pinto and guided down the highway with the optional Joystick that was introduced in that years model".

It'd be like.....***?

Darren

Same goes for TV shows or movies that do the same.

Hate it when I hear a Glock cocked when drawn, or the safety being taken off
    ASSA9 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Are you reading the book because you want an entertaining story, or did you expect an owners manuel to whatever firearm is mentioned in the story?
    I expect to not be pulled OUT of the story by being told that a GS-15 is a "junior staffer," that the 9/11 attacks occured at breakfast time in the UK, and that a "Senior Captain" (as a rank, not as a description of what kind of Captain) in the US Army is doing something. I mean, really, how hard is it to find the rank structure on line? Or to know that if something happens in the morning on the east coast of the US, it is not going to be in the morning in the UK? Obvious, easy, simply to find (or what should really just be common knowledge) errors like these - and these are all from one book by one very big author "known" for technical accuracy - seriously detract from the entertainment value of the story.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

While reading fiction novels, I'm more interested in the characters and overall plot, not so much the fine details.

But, I do understand what you mean. When they really miss the mark on the details it is a little off-putting.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

The only sound my Glock makes when the safety comes off is--BANG!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's pretty much a given that any book, movie or TV show depicting the military, not as the central theme (and sometimes even when so) will have mistakes aplenty.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    I read a book a few weeks ago about time travel and the guy had it all wrong.
    Okemo likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

To me, Ludlum was the worst. Here you are reading a great story, and you read about somebody taking the safety off of a revolver or somebody using a revolver with a silencer. It's the equivalent of being at a party when, all of a sudden, the needle goes skidding across the record and the party jerks to a halt.

On the other hand, even Mickey Spillane can make a boo-boo. In one of his books, Hammer pulls out his trusty .45 and chambers a round (Mike Hammer carries in Condition 3?!?!) Because the bad guy keeps running, Hammer cocks his pistol (better get that hammer-follow looked at), at which point the bad guy surrenders.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    C'mon! Nobody got that? I thought that was the best joke I've made all week.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    LMAO
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

True. I think that if you're going to write "adventure" or military-style fiction (print or film) proper research is fundamental. The kind of people drawn to such fiction often tend to be the kind that knows a fair amount about the topic. Disbelief can only be suspended so much.

I remember watching "Rambo II" on VHS when it first came out with a bunch of my friends. Towards the end, when Rambo gets back to base camp all pissed off and fires his M60 into the ceiling, you can plainly see blank ammo being fed into it. I started laughing, and my friends were, like, "What? What's so funny?"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's hard to miss unless you don't know what you're looking at to begin with.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's hard to miss unless you don't know what you're looking at to begin with.
    Precisely, that's why you have a problem with fiction that involves gun details. The majority of people really don't know what to look for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links