Fiction is fiction...

This is a discussion on Fiction is fiction... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The easy thing about writing fiction is that everything is a lie. The difficult thing about writing fiction is making the lie believable. I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fiction is fiction...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Fiction is fiction...

The easy thing about writing fiction is that everything is a lie. The difficult thing about writing fiction is making the lie believable.

I just finished a novel by a well-known, best-selling author of the mystery/suspense genre. In it he presents a scene when the anti-hero is shooting various pistols. The charactor states that the Berreta 92 saw extensive use with the US Army in Viet Nam and then describes a scene where the shooter engages the "external safety" on a Glock.

I would sincerely hope that an author of about 20 best-selling novels would perform adaquate research and realize that the 92 was adopted by the army in the '80s (long after we departed VN) and that Glocks don't hace external safeties.

So much for the NY Times best seller lising. I wonder how much he was paid for this stinker.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You dont have to be smart or even technologically savy to be laughing all the way to the bank...
    you just got to have a good line of bull....
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You bought the book, other than the FICTION, how was it....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I read the same book?? So I did a little research and found this: Glock External Safety
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

When reading a book that is fiction, you have to expect a lot of unbelievable statements. What really upsets ( being nice ) me is when I have to interact with a person or business that anything they tell you is fiction, ( aka: BS ).
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

actually the beretta 92 replaced phasers during the battle of Khe Sanh,....and if you believe dat you can call me a fiction writer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I am an avid reader, too. There is "suspension of disbelief" and then there is just plain bovine excrement.

Writers, if you don't know the material, find someone who does and have them teach you! Take the opportunity to LEARN something!

Of course, ignorance is rampant in our society, so most likely only a handful of readers notice those mistakes. It is sad, really.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Moderator
    Of course, ignorance is rampant in our society, so most likely only a handful of readers notice those mistakes. It is sad, really
    That is quite true. The general population isnt very gun savy, so they dont notice what it obvious to most of us here.

On the other hand, if I were to read a fiction about something that involved electronic details of a sort, I wouldnt know the difference between fact or fiction.

Its all relative I guess.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Believe it or not, but Stephen King frequently mentions handguns and too frequently mentions somebody enabling the safety on his revolver. I can't point to any story at the moment, just know that I've read it more than once.

Makes me sad......

Everybody is stupid regarding something!
    Okemo likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It's a shame that most publishers look at an author's name rather than the quality of his work...

bosco

VIP Member
    While I understand that no writer (or anyone else) can know everything about everything, it seems to me that if you make your living writing thriller-type novels with a ton of technical detail in them (I'm looking at you, Frederick Forsyth), then you would take a tiny bit of time to get those technical details right. Especially in the age of Google, where you can instantly find out the technical details of just about anything on the planet...
    HotGuns likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Escpecially today, when its been easier to find something out than at any time in history.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    Are you reading the book because you want an entertaining story, or did you expect an owners manuel to whatever firearm is mentioned in the story?
    l1a1 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    The charactor states that the Berreta 92 saw extensive use with the US Army in Viet Nam and then describes a scene where the shooter engages the "external safety" on a Glock.
    No maual of arms required, but a little bit of accuracy goes a long way. Thats goes for shooting or for facts.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links