Craft Beers. - Page 3

Craft Beers.

This is a discussion on Craft Beers. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Can not drink the heavy hop'd brews without a headache...age I'd guess, so now its rich/thick wheatbeer and porters, or clear crisp Corona...Blue Moon seems ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Craft Beers.

Can not drink the heavy hop'd brews without a headache...age I'd guess, so now its rich/thick wheatbeer and porters, or clear crisp Corona...Blue Moon seems to be the favorite rich wheatbeer, but its down to just a beer a week, maybe...seems I have one and the next day I can see it in the mirror...smoky Isly Single malt on the otherhand has gained shelf space...Lots of great beers in the Northwest, many, many Taverns brew thier own...the beer isle in the supermarket runs on forever, good luck finding a Miller or Bud.................cheers

My everyday go-to beer is Legends Brown Ale (Richmond, VA).

But, when I have a few extra dollars or want a few extra % of alcohol I go with Old Rasputin Imperial Stout made in Ft. Bragg (yes, the city), CA. It's $9.99 a 4pak and is 9%+ alcohol.

Old Rasputin - Imperial Stout
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I dotn like a strong hop flavor too citrus for me. I like the wheat beers, and soem other stuff. Local shop sells only craft brews and has a deal where you can "mix you six". Gives me a chance to try some new stuff.

I like the Rogue American Amber Ale, Shiner Bock, Sam Adams Imperial White, and Cherry Wheat.

Another good regional favorite is Yuengling. They only sell in like 5 states I think. For tose of you who dont get it, I am sorry. I am not big on coffee flavored stouts or any thing too heavy

My wife is a big fan of the White ales. Preferring Blue Moon and Shock Top.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Forgot about the Yuengling, I have it when in West NY with my wifes family. Had some in Tampa a few weeks ago and my brother in Wichita KS had gotten some from a friend who brought it back from Ohio. We drank a few over Thanksgiving.

I am fortunate to have some really great wineries near to me, and one of them also has some microbrews. Charleville Vineyard and Brewery has a microbrew called "Tornado Alley" that is really great! It is similar to Fat Tire.

I'll also tilt a bottle of Fat Tire and Sam Adams.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I've brewed beers for a dozen years now. My first efforts were barley syrup junk, but eventually I graduated to all grain and stainless conical fermenters. My next phase was the make the biggest, strongest beers I could. Heavy grain bill, multiple mash temps (my steam injector kicks butt), robust yeasts, pitching on the lees, big hops. These beers are certainly not for the Bud drinker, but they've stood the test of time in FL shed storage, and some of my 8 year old beers are smoking good. Now, I've learned to dial it down a little. Use a bit more 6 row barley, a few adjuncts (corn and rice mostly), less hops, and even (Beer-god's forgive me) a bit of sucrose in the secondary fermenter. Yeah, sacrilege, but the product is universally palatable. Beer is half art, half science. Anymore, any mediocre beer is immediately sent to the next process: the alcohol/water separator, and is destined to spend the next 6 years barreled on my homemade oak charcoal. Shine on:

Dead man ale, mississippi mud......and mucho cervezas....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I like to use a can of Stockmans Draft malt to start and add different grains to the wort for different styles.For around $20 I can make 60 12oz bottles,but nowadays I love the mini kegs that hold around 5 quarts.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Our local, Crabtree Brewery has some tasty offerings. Can't do wrong by Blue Moon though.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Forgot about the Yuengling, I have it when in West NY with my wifes family. Had some in Tampa a few weeks ago and my brother in Wichita KS had gotten some from a friend who brought it back from Ohio. We drank a few over Thanksgiving.
    Oh now that is an interesting take on Yuengling, when I was a kid they were the cheap local brewed beer, the lager is the same it is just clever marketing. That said I still like all of the offerings from Yuengling especially the Lord Chesterfield Ale, America's Oldest Brewery.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Yuengling also gives great brewery tours in Pottsville and Tampa.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Another fan of IPA's here.

Some of my favorite beers include:

1) Rogue Dead Guy Ale
    2)Sweetwater IPA(strong hints of grapefruit)
    3) Sweetwater Motorboat ESB
    4) Arrogant ******* Ale
    5)Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Yuengling also gives great brewery tours in Pottsville and Tampa.
    I did not know about Tampa, when was that opened?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

This time of year I enjoy some of the winter seasonal ales. My favorite is Snow Cap from Pyramid Brewery in Seattle. Normally my taste runs towards the IPA's ... yes, I'm a "hop head". One of my favorites is brewed locally @ Boundry Bay Brewing in Bellingham. Another is Brutal Bitter from Rogue Breweries in Portland Or.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I did not know about Tampa, when was that opened?
    They bought the old AB brewery next to Busch Gardens about 10 years ago. They only brew one flavor there...the lager, but the 17K gallon brew kettles are impressive.
    bbqgrill likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links