Anyone else pick up MALWARE yesterday?

This is a discussion on Anyone else pick up MALWARE yesterday? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "or from one of the links some folks include in their messages." <~~~~ That would be my guess if you think you picked up something ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone else pick up MALWARE yesterday?

Administrator
    "or from one of the links some folks include in their messages." <~~~~ That would be my guess if you think you picked up something here.

I forget which link it was and what post it was in but, it jammed my page - & my "back" arrow wouldn't work but, I "X"ed off before it the page could load.

I was going to PM the member about the link but, I had to hurry up & jump off and take the dog out & then we went out to dinner.

I run C. Cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, & ERASER almost every day as a matter of routine.

2. Remove Ads

I've not had any problems and I was on here most of the day yesterday. I didn't seen anything out of the ordinary. I run IE-9 on Windows 7 Professional with Norton Security Suite.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, believe or not, most drive-by-downloads of malware come from scripts or flash contained in advertising. Since the ads are served up by a server that is not associated with the main website, anything can come from them. The only way to be safe from it on a Windows machine is to disable flash and/or block advertising. There are plenty of add-ons that will do that. You can also block javascript. I also highly recommend going into your adobe reader and disabling java-script because a lot of attacks are carried out by sending your computer an infected PDF file.

Or, I suppose you could get a Mac or Linux machine and that will reduce your chances of infection by 99%.
    Seriously considering both. My wife wants me to get her an iMac, an iPad and a new iPhone. The Central Bankers at Hopyard's Fed are more inclined to tighten the money supply.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have not had any problems, my wife at first griped when i bought Nortons antivirus program, and still pay around 60 bucks a year, but for the last three years, I have been trouble free,,,,,btw, i bought it cause I got a Virus that got past my free virus protection , and would not let my computer do anything but turn on, slipped in the norton disc, and presto....now i sound like an ad person for nortons, but it is tried and true for me......kinda like my HD gun, i know that thing is going to shoot when i pick it up without a problem, or it would be in the safe and something else close at hand.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    I have not had any problems, my wife at first griped when i bought Nortons antivirus program, and still pay around 60 bucks a year, but for the last three years, I have been trouble free,,,,,btw, i bought it cause I got a Virus that got past my free virus protection , and would not let my computer do anything but turn on, slipped in the norton disc, and presto....now i sound like an ad person for nortons, but it is tried and true for me......kinda like my HD gun, i know that thing is going to shoot when i pick it up without a problem, or it would be in the safe and something else close at hand.
    It is interesting how different folks have different experiences. I have tried several commercial anti-virus programs such as Norton. There have been some that worked well others slowed everything down or called legitimate stuff a virus.

I settled on what I am using because except for yesterday, the combo has done very very well for me for several years now.

Anyway, yesterday's episode was the first time in probably 6 years that I have actually had something get on this machine and do it damage.

I keep complete backup of my C drive on an external drive (Acronis) so worst case I can throw my C drive away and reload.

Still, I am using a 2003 machine in (effectively 2012) and I'm on borrowed time.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

next to a serial killer

With
    a serial killer.........

The Central Bankers at Hopyard's Fed are more inclined to tighten the money supply.
    I gotta use that line. :)

Administrator
    "Still, I am using a 2003 machine in (effectively 2012) and I'm on borrowed time."

That's pretty amazing that it's still good to go. I've never had anything I ever bought continue run that long.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "or from one of the links some folks include in their messages." <~~~~ That would be my guess if you think you picked up something here.

I forget which link it was and what post it was in but, it jammed my page - & my "back" arrow wouldn't work but, I "X"ed off before it the page could load.

I was going to PM the member about the link but, I had to hurry up & jump off and take the dog out & then we went out to dinner.

I run C. Cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, & ERASER almost every day as a matter of routine.
    You might add SuperAntiSpyware to your list of free programs to run. It finds many item that spybot or microsoft stuff overlooks.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "Still, I am using a 2003 machine in (effectively 2012) and I'm on borrowed time."

That's pretty amazing that it's still good to go. I've never had anything I ever bought continue run that long.
    I use it heavily for personal stuff and Mrs. H uses it for personal stuff and lately for some business stuff. I also used to use it to work at home and for some volunteer work. The machine has been on daily from the moment we get out of bed till the moment we turn in. So far over all these years, I've replaced 1 hard drive (under warranty); bought one mouse for 8 bucks, and one monitor burned out. I still use the original keyboard. I had the memory upgraded from 500 megs to 2 gig a few years back.

I do some routine registry cleaning, defrag the drive now and again, clean the drive when I feel like it, run Check Disk and/or surface scan. I don't know if "PC Tools Performance Tool Kit" is voodoo or scam, but I run its various tools now and again and I'm still here typing away on a functioning machine.

I better not brag too much or the cyber devils will hear me and I'll be out buying that Mac before the Central bank is replenished. I have a couple of holsters and maybe a 642 on my list a head of a new computer. (And a Henry rifle.)

P.S. Crime is getting out of hand in our formerly very lovely and peaceful city. A credit union was robbed at gun point this morning. I've known the manager for years and years; hope she still has a smile.
    Andrew Jackson

I got nailed yesterday too, and DC was the only page I had running. I am running Win 7 with MS Forefront AV. Ran some scripts from Bleepingcomputer.com, and ran malwarebytes to clean it. Funny, I think that is the first malware/virus problem I have ever had personally.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I'm fine. Then again, I'm running OSX and Linux.

No issues here but I keep a pretty buttoned down operation. I run a few scans and report if I find anything.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Since I started using Avast it has caught many attempts of driveby hijacking and what it didn't catch Malwarebytes tooks care it.

VIP Member
    I do all my browsing on an IPad now. Never had a moments problem. Knocking on wood...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links