More gov't spyware coming to your smartphone via DHS

This is a discussion on More gov't spyware coming to your smartphone via DHS within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; National Drug Shortage Puts Patients at Risk - Patient Care - @ JEMS.com CO-Detecting Cell Phone Three years down the road, it’s possible every cell ...

Thread: More gov't spyware coming to your smartphone via DHS

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

More gov't spyware coming to your smartphone via DHS

National Drug Shortage Puts Patients at Risk - Patient Care - @ JEMS.com

CO-Detecting Cell Phone
    Three years down the road, it’s possible every cell phone sold in the U.S. could be part of an elaborate emergency detection system, thanks to a new program from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

The Cell-All Initiative, spearheaded by the DHS Advance Research Products Agency, aims to build a network of tiny sensors in smartphones that would detect dangerous gases and chemicals and alert officials of pending risks.

“In its greatest manifestation, everyone would have it,” says Stephen Dennis, Cell-All’s program manager.

The concept is simple. Cell phones would continuously monitor for deadly chemicals, much the way home smoke detectors do. If a chemical were detected, it would send a signal to emergency officials. EMS responders would then know what they’re facing.

Cell phone makers are working with the DHS and expect to have a test phase in 18–20 months, says Dennis.

The sensors’ findings would be anonymous, so officials would get only a location and type of reading. Owners of the phones would also have to opt-in to activate the service.

The sensors are expected to be capable of reading four or five chemicals. It’s possible, Dennis says, that some phones could measure for one set of information, while others search for different ones, creating a wider net. All would search for carbon monoxide.

“In my mind, it will save lives in the first year just on carbon monoxide issues alone,” says Dennis. “Using this sensing out to the edge of the network, this would actually make that kind of safety ubiquitous.”
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The link is for a totally unrelated topic but the cell phone info appears at the bottom of that article.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Since I dont mind being an outcast, here goes. I think that is pretty cool. Who wouldnt want to be made aware that they were in an area with deadly chemicals? I dont mind if that info is sent to the proper authorities. At least theres an Opt-In if you want to use it.

Administrator
    Do you mind that everything you type on your "smartphone" ~ like all of your text messages are already being key logged and stored?

And not only are you not aware of it...there is no possible way to "opt out" - How "COOL" is that?

Google Search - hidden keylogger smartphone or Keystroke Logger smartphone

Theres all sorts of stuff like that. We always have the option of not buying a "smart" phone. Theres geo-tagging photo's, keystroke loggers and all sorts of other devils. Just turn those unwanted features off.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Theres all sorts of stuff like that. We always have the option of not buying a "smart" phone. Theres geo-tagging photo's, keystroke loggers and all sorts of other devils. Just turn those unwanted features off.
    There are some in Congress who do not believe that you should have the option of shutting the tracking ability off. That only Terrorist, Drug dealers or other criminals have something to hide. That the average law abiding citizen has no legitimate reason to hide their travels.
    Senators push for tracking of pre-paid cellphones -- Engadget

Yeah I'm clear on that, and I dont agree with it in the least. I was commenting on a cell phones ability to sniff dangerous chemicals and/or bio weapons. Yeah, theres an app for that!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Yeah I'm clear on that, and I dont agree with it in the least. I was commenting on a cell phones ability to sniff dangerous chemicals and/or bio weapons. Yeah, theres an app for that!
    ...or perhaps a...meth lab??!

...or that second martini...

or that hidden cigarette that's going to get your healthcare rates doubled?...

...lot's of opportunities with this kinda thing!

anyway...ya know what happens when my phone rings?...I answer it...if I'm home...and I feel like walking across the room to a place where the cord will reach...better call me earlier in the day rather than later though...as the day wears on, I just get less and less interested in making the trip.

...now then...

...where'd I put my Reynolds wrap??.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

What happens if your phone is in your back pockets and you eat lots of beans?

Quote Originally Posted by mkphillips View Post
    What happens if your phone is in your back pockets and you eat lots of beans?
    Now that's funny. One step closer to smell-a-vision.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I'll stick with my dumb phone!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links