Since I've been gone a bit....

This is a discussion on Since I've been gone a bit.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I haven't really been active on this site much for the last two months. And there's a reason for that. My family and I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Since I've been gone a bit....

So I haven't really been active on this site much for the last two months. And there's a reason for that. My family and I have recently PCS'ed to RAF Lakenheath in the UK. Unfortunately, things have not gone smoothly at all; but I do believe the worst is over.

Things I've noticed so far:
    Sure, they say they speak English, but I only understand about every third word they say.
    They drive on the wrong side of the road!
    I'm not really sure if they have a sense of humor...
    The steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car!!!
    They are really confused, they play soccer, but call it football.
    They really don't understand self-defense. (That was a fun briefing/lecture. )
    I swear sometimes I think they make up words just to mess with us!!

But other then that we've enjoyed it so far. Oh yeah, and in other news, instead of being financially responsible and buying something from the lemon lot when I got here, I might have bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler from the Exchange Overseas New Car Sales Program....
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Sounds fun! A new adventure and something to tell the kids and grandkids about. Thank you for your service. I pray for you and your family's protection and peace. I hope you "improvise, adapt, and overcome".

Administrator
    I'm glad to see you are still kickin.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Enjoy your tour and expand your horizons; soak up everything about the culture and learn as much as you can about the locals.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

You forgot to mention some good beer over there. Which is still dispensed by the pint, even if they sell their "petrol" by the liter.
    wmhawth likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Enjoy! I got orders for England (2 years), wife didn't want to go and I passed and someone else grabbed them, a year later I got orders for Vietnam, wife didn't want to go there either, so I got to go alone.
    Naufragia likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I been to Lakenheath,I was stationed in the UK from 76-78 at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge 81st Security Police Squadron,the twin bases were closed after the Cold War threat level dropped,base had F4's but were changing over to A10's when I left.
    I had no problem understanding the lingo since I was a Military brat at RAF Upper Heyford from 70-73.If you think it's hard to cipher their lingo,The Scottish lingo in Scotland will really mess ya up,all we cared about was they knew when we wanted another pint,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You won't believe this, but I was thinking yesterday I hadn't seen you in a while. I find your choice of vehicles for England interesting, but my sister and her husband managed England with 2 left-hand-drive cars. They said the only time it was really a pain was when you were trying to pass a lorry (truck) or a tractor on a country road.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Great to see you back! If you find yourself TDY to ramstein, PM me and I will treat you to a beverage of your choice...there are a few perks of being in Germany. Don't be shy...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Welcome back. I used to spend quite a bit of time TDY to RAF Lakenheath.

You think the English can't speak the language, wait until you start dealing with the Scot's and Irish!

Don't forget, they have no idea about electricity either. Who in their right mind uses 220V 50 Hz?

Enjoy your tour.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks everyone. Always nice to be thought of. And the beer definitely is nice. Though I have to admit I've been drinking more German beer then local beer.(It's so cheap here!)

I know! Who uses 220V @ 50hz? I wouldn't plug anything in until I spoke to my sponsor and made sure I understood the way the outlets worked in billeting. (We have UK and US outlets here, and some third type that can be switched from 110V to 220V.)

I don't know about that HerkNav, driving here is pretty scary. My first time driving was actually to test drive the Jeep. I had the salesman take me out around the flightline area (it was a Saturday and fairly empty) and I got to test drive and practice driving on the left for a bit. Second time I got to drive here I was driving our rental back to base, at night, on local roads, and it was a right-hand drive. I was terrified, it feels like everythings coming right at you. I'd much rather have the extra buffer of a left-hand drive and as narrow as the roads are here I'm pretty sure I'll be pulling onto the shoulder quite often. And I really can't help it, I've wanted a Jeep Wrangler ever since I was a teenager. I think I passed the display five times before I broke down and spoke to the salesman.

And SIGguy229 I'll definitely take you up on that as soon as I get the chance. But if you make it over this way first let me know. I've heard there are some decent local pubs and I'd be glad to pick up a round.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

When I visited, I had no issues with driving on the left. However, I had to remember to look the other way at the roundabout.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Just did a TDY to Bangkok a few weeks ago - another "wrong" side driving country. Of course, that didn't beat my first trip to Afghanistan (where they drive on the "right" side...well, actually, they drive wherever they want) where I was given a left hand drive manual transmission Land Cruiser and sent out to drive the streets of Kabul operationally on day one... :)

Welcome back to the forum, enjoy the hell out of the UK (it could be much, much worse, no?) and don't stay gone so long next time... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sponsored Links