Gun Photography

This is a discussion on Gun Photography within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just curious what some fellow members use for their photos, and some techniques you enjoy. I'm always looking for some inspiration and new ideas to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun Photography

Gun Photography

Just curious what some fellow members use for their photos, and some techniques you enjoy. I'm always looking for some inspiration and new ideas to try.

My latest favorite is one I took of my MK9, I laid a piece of glass on our wood floor and set the MK9 on top of it. Using some poster board I was able to contain/control the light and reduce unwanted reflections. I also used a flash (Nissin Di866) with a modifier large reflector on it to diffuse the light.

Camera: Nikon D7000
    Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Shutter Speed: 1/80
    Aperture: f/5.6
    ISO: 800

End result:

D7K_3931 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

2. Remove Ads

I like it! The glass adds just enough reflection to enhance without being overpowering. No blown out areas so I would say, great job with the flash.

I have not tried photographing my guns as yet but have thought about it using plexiglas (white, black, clear, mirror). Mostly I am into macro (bugs) & nature but I am thinking some macro shots of guns may be kinda cool.

Nice photo, nice gun also!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very nicely done. I consider myself an amateur photographer as well. I have to take tons of pictures every day for my ebay auctions with my laptop computers. The number one mistake I see people make is using a flash, especially up close, to a shiny object. With computer screens it just reflects back. Guns or other shiny objects are horrible with flash, plus it creates dark shadows behind the object. Your flash did amazingly well, probably because of the diffuser.

What I try to do is setup lighting from many different angles and turn the flash off completely. If need be, use a longer exposure to compensate.

At some point I want to take pictures of all of my guns. I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread so I can start collecting information. Maybe it will get me motivated to do mine sooner.

Do have one question, though.. I guess you cleaned it up really well and wiped off all of the oil? I typically keep my guns pretty darned oily. But that wouldn't look so great in a photo.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

OK.. Here are my entries for today. They don't look nearly as good as Thunder71's, but I'm still working to make it better. I'm trying to find a nice glass surface. I have a glass kitchen table, but I don't want the stuff under the glass to show up. so I need to find something to tape to the bottom of the table, then I think I can come up with something almost as nice.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Awesome pics

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Wow OP, very nice pictures! I'm impressed.
    I work for a company that offers firearms training in Florida, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and soon to be Minnesota. Please visit our website below or check us out on http://facebook.com/equip2conceal

www.equip2conceal.com

Thanks guys!

Once you get the lighting figured out the rest isn't too bad... just have to have an idea and make it happen.

Kahr MK9 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

D7K_3920 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

D7K_3925 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

I use a little Kodak I got on sale at Target. Usually don't use a flash. If I'm shooting indoors, I use a white bath towel which seems to help keep the pistol details from washing out under the daylight
    fluorescent bulbs which give a more natural lighting.

Not a professional photographer, and my pics will never be as good as Thunder's, but I have fun.

adric22 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Yep, any time you can diffuse the light you're better off... bounce it off the ceiling, a white wall, etc. Shadows aren't a bad thing, but I prefer soft shadows vs harsh ones, and diffused light can give you that.

I really like that 4th one, nice setup of the shot and good lighting!

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I use a little Kodak I got on sale at Target. Usually don't use a flash. If I'm shooting indoors, I use a white bath towel which seems to help keep the pistol details from washing out under the daylight
    Excellent work! I love the Glock photos. (not just because they are Glocks, though.. I seriously love the whole picture)
    drkangl6 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The glass in the OP post also adds a little relief, making the gun look like it's floating a bit.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

You're right, it gives it more dimension... I personally prefer glass over mirrors in most cases, as you can see from the one above it can be a bit much... but it's a neat effect.

If anyone wants to post some photos or ideas they are struggling with I can try and help, along with the others here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    You're right, it gives it more dimension... I personally prefer glass over mirrors in most cases, as you can see from the one above it can be a bit much... but it's a neat effect.

If anyone wants to post some photos or ideas they are struggling with I can try and help, along with the others here.
    I have a very hard time shooting stainless guns indoors. No matter what I do, it seems the detail gets totally washed out. I know I need a better camera, but not in the budget.
    Any professional tips would be nice.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I have a very hard time shooting stainless guns indoors. No matter what I do, it seems the detail gets totally washed out. I know I need a better camera, but not in the budget.
    Any professional tips would be nice.
    I have the exact opposite problem. Most of my guns are black plastic combined with blued metal. In order to get the camera to expose the gun correctly, the background is blown out. However, when I try doing the shot on glass like Thunder71 did, hopefully that will eliminate the background anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links