Bringing civilation to the rural areas

This is a discussion on Bringing civilation to the rural areas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After 45 years of traveling around the world and living elsewhere, I now live a mile from where I grew up. It use to be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Bringing civilation to the rural areas

After 45 years of traveling around the world and living elsewhere, I now live a mile from where I grew up. It use to be an old country town in the swamps, now there are no swamps left, its all concrete. To bad!!!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

Often times when I hear the term, "take back our country", wish that they really meant a return to a times long gone.
    +1+ *sigh*
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

This seems to be the way any "new" culture does when they move from the crap hole they used to live into a place where things happen like showing firearms and nobody has a hissy fit.

They move there for the freedoms and normal activity that has been going on for years and then suddenly want to change it and make it like the place they fled from. How does that make any sense? You leave a place because you hate it, it is dangerous, crime ridden and gun UN friendly and you want to change it to the place you left behind? Not my version of Hope and Change I'll tell you.

I'd say that's a good description of mental illness at it's worst.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I'm just barely old enough to remember (back in the 60's), the sheriff walking into my Grandaddy's general store (the local meeting place for men, right next to the barber shop), and showing off some .357's that he and his deputy just got. I remember him saying (add thick southern drawl) "It'll shoot a hole in an engine block".

He then invited the boys out to go shooting with him, and the store cleared out (I was too young to go :-(.

As I recall, there were just two LEO's for that town back then. They knew they could always count on the citizens to help out in a pinch. Very different times...

Edit:

The town is now almost a ghost town. Back in the 70's, a bunch of gov't subsidized housing was put in and crime became rampant. It literally ran off most of the town's people. A few of the tougher ol' timers are still there, and once they die off, it will become a little thug town with no businesses, that is completely paid for by our tax dollars.
    Last edited by WHEC724; December 6th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    This seems to be the way any "new" culture does when they move from the crap hole they used to live into a place where things happen like showing firearms and nobody has a hissy fit.

They move there for the freedoms and normal activity that has been going on for years and then suddenly want to change it and make it like the place they fled from. How does that make any sense? You leave a place because you hate it, it is dangerous, crime ridden and gun UN friendly and you want to change it to the place you left behind? Not my version of Hope and Change I'll tell you.

I'd say that's a good description of mental illness at it's worst.
    It happens with foreigners moving here from other countries. If you don't like it where you live then don't try to change where I live to be like the hell hole you came from.
    JoJoGunn and ppkheat like this.

City folks need to keep to the city, if they move to the country they need to adjust their life style instead of trying to make everyone else change, country boys don't go to the city and try to change the city folks way of living, they adjust their lifestyle...I don't care for people that think they can move out to a small town and think that town owes them and they're gonna change generations of how things are done...city stay out of our country
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I was coming home the other day and noticed a group of older gentlemen all gathered around someone with a rifle across the street from the post office. I circled around and pulled in with them. I noticed at that time some of the men going back to their trucks and getting out their own rifles.

It seems the first gentleman had got himself a new shooter and had to show it off to his friends. He realized that in our little rural town that the best place to do that was in front of the café across the street from the Post Office. Its either there or the co-op if you want to see people in this town.
    Suddenly the towns cop drove by and quickly did a u-turn mid street and pulled in behind us. Then without saying a word he gets his rifle out of the trunk. Then he unloads it and proceeds to play show an tell with the rest of us.
    The strangest thing happened. Nothing!
    Nobody was shot killed or even passed out or wet themselves from fear.

I don't know how long this attitude will last but I hope it will last a few more generations. Sadly I doubt it will as the city folks has tired of crime and over regulation in the cities and have started moving in here.
    They have already started to bring in their city rules with them. They want to make us more civilized I suppose. They are currently trying to make folks move the mules out of their back yards. Oh and the chickens too. They don't seem to like them either.
    One nice lady moved in next door to a friend of mine then went to the city about making him quit parking his pickup truck in his front yard. Guess she was to busy signing papers and stuff to notice that he always parked their before deciding to buy the place.

Michael
    Miss those days... miss 'em bad.

I originally thought that this was going to be about how we have already brought civilization to the rural areas... You know, like the meth makers swiping anhydrous from the field. The home invasions that are happening out in the sticks. The pot farmers on DNR public hunting areas. The sniper hides in the national parks along the border... The kid from the big city hitting 2 c-stores in small towns and killing both the clerks for a few bux.

Yeah, boy howdy, we sure got us some civilization out here now, don't we? I grew up in the big city... and it used to be civilized too, but I moved out to the country to get away from all that "civilization" and now it's creeping in out here...

I like the kind of civilization you're illustrating a whole lot more.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    After 45 years of traveling around the world and living elsewhere, I now live a mile from where I grew up. It use to be an old country town in the swamps, now there are no swamps left, its all concrete. To bad!!!
    Sounds like a John Anderson song "Dixie got a facelift, I guess she's looking better. I kind of like the old one. I never will forget her... Look away, look away, far away... Dixie Land."
    TheGiant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Sounds like a John Anderson song "Dixie got a facelift, I guess she's looking better. I kind of like the old one. I never will forget her... Look away, look away, far away... Dixie Land."
    I agree: Lynyrd Skynyrd put out a song, "All I can do is write about it" "you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy"
    Walk Soft likes this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I hope you folks push back against the city types that want the countryside to resemble their former places of residence without the crime. Otherwise I won't have anything to look forward to in the next five to ten.

I've never known the era that is under discussion here so I have nothing to add, except that it would be preferable to the current climate in which I live, where school age kids are suspended from school for drawing stick figures or saying out loud the trademarked names of gun manufacturers, etc.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Same old story. People tire of the crime, the congestion, the restrictions and the general rat race in the snake pits where they live and decide to relocate to a quiet rural setting. In short order they often discover that it isn't what they expected and that they really don't fit in and they really hate the smell of horses and cows. That's when they, along with other like minded disenchanted refugees set about to recreate their new neighborhoods in the image of what they left behind. I used to see a bumper sticker around here occasionally that made the plea: "Don't Californicate Colorado". Sadly much of that damage happened anyway.
    azchevy likes this.

VIP Member
    The solution is still acreage.

For those of you on limited budget, approaching retirement and willing to relocate, just google "cheap land" (or anything like that). There are some amazing deals out there right now. If the economy worsens, you'll be glad for your perimeter - if it improves, you'll be glad about the wonderful deal you got when the market was at its bottom.

I'm starting to prefer quantity over quality for my retirement nest, and will likely surround myself with swampland.

Disclaimer: Since that sounded a little like an infomercial, I feel obligated to state that I am not an agent, nor broker, nor looking to sell anyone anything.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    The solution is still acreage.

For those of you on limited budget, approaching retirement and willing to relocate, just google "cheap land" (or anything like that). There are some amazing deals out there right now. If the economy worsens, you'll be glad for your perimeter - if it improves, you'll be glad about the wonderful deal you got when the market was at it's bottom.

I'm starting to prefer quantity over quality for my retirement nest, and will likely surround myself with swampland.
    A couple of years ago there was some nice land in large parcels around the Pee Dee river that seemed reasonable comapred to other areas in SC.

City folk will be the downfall of rural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    sounds like Travis Tritt's "Country Ain't Country No More"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links