Bringing civilation to the rural areas

This is a discussion on Bringing civilation to the rural areas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was coming home the other day and noticed a group of older gentlemen all gathered around someone with a rifle across the street from ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Bringing civilation to the rural areas

I was coming home the other day and noticed a group of older gentlemen all gathered around someone with a rifle across the street from the post office. I circled around and pulled in with them. I noticed at that time some of the men going back to their trucks and getting out their own rifles.

It seems the first gentleman had got himself a new shooter and had to show it off to his friends. He realized that in our little rural town that the best place to do that was in front of the café across the street from the Post Office. Its either there or the co-op if you want to see people in this town.
    Suddenly the towns cop drove by and quickly did a u-turn mid street and pulled in behind us. Then without saying a word he gets his rifle out of the trunk. Then he unloads it and proceeds to play show an tell with the rest of us.
    The strangest thing happened. Nothing!
    Nobody was shot killed or even passed out or wet themselves from fear.

I don't know how long this attitude will last but I hope it will last a few more generations. Sadly I doubt it will as the city folks has tired of crime and over regulation in the cities and have started moving in here.
    They have already started to bring in their city rules with them. They want to make us more civilized I suppose. They are currently trying to make folks move the mules out of their back yards. Oh and the chickens too. They don't seem to like them either.
    One nice lady moved in next door to a friend of mine then went to the city about making him quit parking his pickup truck in his front yard. Guess she was to busy signing papers and stuff to notice that he always parked their before deciding to buy the place.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; December 5th, 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

mkh
    That is so cool. Good luck keeping it that way.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    It used to be that way at my work.

I walked through our shop one day with my new AK over my shoulder and no one batted an eye.

These days I'm even barred from wearing my Python cufflinks in the office.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Gotta' love small rural towns...

Check your mail...:hand(:
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

God bless small town America.
    Hopyard, NavyAirdale and ctr like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Oh man... talk about the (almost) bygone days! Surely something we can hope to get back to.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Kind of how it is here, A few of us with CCWs know each other and compare notes, but there is always some flatlander tourist that calls and reports a man with a rifle walking in the woods wearing an orange vest so we keep it fairly covert.

A few years ago i bought a 9 foot long aviation drop tank from a guy on CL. Nicely tapered with tail fins. He lives 200 miles north and we both had business in Sacramento, so we met in a huge "sunrise" mall parking lot, he had a van and we were in a Yukon. I liked it and paid him, we carried it out and into our rig. I am still amazed we didn't meet the SWAT team that day. I'm gonna stick it on a pole out front with house numbers, as soon as I find a 2 foot tall cowboy to ride it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Kind of how it is here, A few of us with CCWs know each other and compare notes, but there is always some flatlander tourist that calls and reports a man with a rifle walking in the woods wearing an orange vest so we keep it fairly covert.

A few years ago i bought a 9 foot long aviation drop tank from a guy on CL. Nicely tapered with tail fins. He lives 200 miles north and we both had business in Sacramento, so we met in a huge "sunrise" mall parking lot, he had a van and we were in a Yukon. I liked it and paid him, we carried it out and into our rig. I am still amazed we didn't meet the SWAT team that day. I'm gonna stick it on a pole out front with house numbers, as soon as I find a 2 foot tall cowboy to ride it.
    If only you could find a 2 foot tall Slim Pickens doll, that would be perfect.

We have a similar problem around here, city folk move to the country then complain they don’t like the smell of pigs, turkeys or chickens.
    NavyAirdale, mkh, phreddy and 3 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post

Like this?

Michael
    Rock and Glock and babarock like this.

VIP Member
    Bingo, thats the one. Major Kong Rides the Bomb - YouTube
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It's happening in the mountains of NC pretty bad. They move here talking about how "quaint" it is. Then proceed to make it "chic" as fast as they can.

I remember guns in gun racks in the car riders line at school. Getting picked up for the opening day of deer season, wearing camo, and going straight to the woods. And teachers asking to borrow my knife. Don't try any of that today though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That's it. Yahoo! We found a 1 foot tall George Bush, but that's not gonn' do it.

Gotta love the folks

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    It's happening in the mountains of NC pretty bad. They move here talking about how "quaint" it is. Then proceed to make it "chic" as fast as they can.

I remember guns in gun racks in the car riders line at school. Getting picked up for the opening day of deer season, wearing camo, and going straight to the woods. And teachers asking to borrow my knife. Don't try any of that today though.
    A coworker, who grew up on Cedar Island tells me of how when he was in high school you knew it was duck hunting season because every pickup in the school parking lot had a gun in the rack. One time the principal's car wouldn't start and he asked my coworker to help see if he could start it. Turns out there was an issue with the spark plug wires. My coworker pulled a knife out of his pocket and started to fix the wires. The principal said, "knives aren't allowed in school", to which my coworker said, "Do you want to walk home?" Nothing more was said, except thank you for your assistance.

Often times when I hear the term, "take back our country", wish that they really meant a return to a times long gone.

Senior Moderator
    A few months ago, I was on the 3-11 PM shift. One of the state troopers stopped by to shoot the breeze.
    We were in the Town Square.

Next thing I know, he pulls out his sniper rifle and shows me he new scope. Night Vision with thermal imaging.

Naturally I had to try it, as it had just gotten dark. There was a hawk sitting on top of a telephone pole down the block, since he stays there most of the time, I wanted to see if the Thermal would pick him up. It did.

Before we knew it, we had 5 other people wanting to check it out. They had pulled up and parked and everyone was standing at the back of his patrol car.

I mentioned to him that we had to stop doing this, it was liable to cause a traffic wreck right there in the town square.

I love small towns. As long as you stay on the straight and narrow. Screw up though, and you're liable to be the suject of gossip at the local diner.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links