Jury Duty can be fun

This is a discussion on Jury Duty can be fun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ha, ha, ha, ha..... we elected an 18 yr old woman as our Jury Foreman on one, no one wanted the job. The Judge had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Jury Duty can be fun

Ha, ha, ha, ha..... we elected an 18 yr old woman as our Jury Foreman on one, no one wanted the job. The Judge had us held afterwards, and came in and had to ask us.... "why on earth did you decide to elect an 18 yr old Foreman ? ". She actually did an outstanding job (and we helped her out when needed).

I was the 1 juror in one case that voted the opposite of everyone else (1 innocent & 11 guilty) , and I thought, here we go. However, it was a good jury (I've seen bad ones) and I gave them my reasons (there was a catch in the law on intent, and no real proof). We reviewed some things, and on the next count.... it was 9 innocent and 3 guilty. It ended up 12 innocent. Everything they had was supposition, assumptions, and nothing to substantiate anything nor to support any of it. Worse DA I've ever seen, plus the Judge tried hard to influence the jury which ticked the remaining 3 off.

The Judge wanted them found guilty (it was a more politically motivated case than anything) and let us know that when he heard the verdict. That's why , there are juries.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

served on the Grand Jury a few years ago, and last week on the regular jury. Worst part was having to take off my shoes going through the metal detector going into the court house.

I have little sympathy for criminals, but amazed myself how closely I listen to details when you are holding someones life in your hands.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have been summoned five times, and served twice now. I was first summoned when I was 17 and still in high school. Yes, the summons date was after my 18th birthday, but I did get out of serving because I was going to high school classes after all.

I've served on one civil and one criminal trial. Both were incidents would never happen in a perfect world. As we all know here, we don't live in a perfect world and we should take jury duty seriously if summoned. If we don't, then who gets left on the jury? Yeah, I want people who can think critically like myself judging me. Not the some of the short sighted yahoos I've served with.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    If we don't, then who gets left on the jury? Yeah, I want people who can think critically like myself judging me. Not the some of the short sighted yahoos I've served with.
    So true, like the one guy on a jury I was on.... were going around the room to ask each person 'why' they thought they were guilty ... his response " because they said that he was, otherwise they never would have filed charges on him ". Ugh.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    I'd love to serve on a jury. Been called a few times, but I'm always the first one to get booted out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    As we all know here, we don't live in a perfect world and we should take jury duty seriously if summoned. If we don't, then who gets left on the jury? Yeah, I want people who can think critically like myself judging me. Not the some of the short sighted yahoos I've served with.
    Amen to this. I lose respect for people who actively try to get dismissed from jury duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only served on a jury once and it was a Grand Jury (deciding whether there's enough evidence to prosecute). It was a case where two fellows had an argument in a bar. # 1 left and the second stepped out the door and more words were exchanged. The # 2 guy pegged a shot at # 1. Hit him directly over the heart at 40 feet with a crappy .32 revolver, obviously something even Jerry Miculek couldn't do if he tried multiple times. So # 1 guy dies because of EXTREMELY bad luck and # 2 claims.....(wait for it).... "the gun went off by accident"
    Well, the other eleven people on the jury with me barely knew which end of the barrel the bullet leaves but I knew enough to ask a simple question of the police detective on the stand... "is that gun capable of single action?" He looked surprised at the question, tried the gun, and found it was double-action only.
    When we went back into the jury room I had to educate the 11 on what that mean't and the implications: i.e. that the gun could only be fired with intent and a full arc of trigger-pull and there was no way it "went off accidentally." It was really neat and EXTREMELY bad luck, this time for the other guy, that I knew what that mean't and he was indicted because of my explanation to the other jurors, and justice was served.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd love to serve on a jury. Been called a few times, but I'm always the first one to get booted out.
    Really? Doesn't the fact that you're a cop exclude you?

(Not sent from my iphone using Tapatalk)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post

No, it does not exclude me. But it does make the defense attorney give me the boot ASAP.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Similar

Not quite first dismissal, but as soon as they find out I was foreman on the penalty phase of a capital murder case, both sides can't dismiss fast enough.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The only time that I've actively sought to not serve jury duty was when I was self employed and if I didn't work I would loose the contract. All others they either plea or I was released for what ever reason.

Absolutly "NAUFRAGIA" Try it some time. Called three times, three times dismissed, since 1990. In attorney's minds talk radio is synonymous with "Far Right".

I'm currently on four month jury duty. Had to show up for 1/2 day of unpaid instruction. I have to call in every month to find out if I have to show up. You only get the $11.00 / day pay when you sit on the jury. At least it keeps the taxes down but doesn't come close to paying expenses.

Don't forget about a jury's empowerment of "jury nullification", if a law is unfair or unjust. You won't get a DA or judge tell you the actual power you possess. If interested, do a Goggle search to find out what it is. Not many people are aware of it.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

I've been called for duty a few times, two times I got out of it because I didn't, and generally don't have the time. Nobody to take my spot at work. The one time I did go, I sat in a silent large room, full of people, for hours upon hours. Then they gave us a 1 hour lunch, after we got back from the break, they said we could all go home. It was sure the biggest waste of time, I felt like I was being held against my will. I never even got the chance to be put on a jury, at least that would have given me something to think about.

Originally Posted by Naufragia

No, it does not exclude me. But it does make the defense attorney give me the boot ASAP.
    Maybe they know you from here?

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links