Jury Duty can be fun

Jury Duty can be fun

This is a discussion on Jury Duty can be fun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I spent the day doing my civic duty to day: jury duty, that is. Wasn't prepared for much of anything, but I enjoy the system ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Jury Duty can be fun

Jury Duty can be fun

I spent the day doing my civic duty to day: jury duty, that is. Wasn't prepared for much of anything, but I enjoy the system and watching how our judicial process works. I got a better deal than I figured, with the case I drew.

I was empaneled on a jury hearing a Burglary case at a local cold storage warehouse. Several interesting things came out in court. Deputy responded to 3 tripped alarms at the location; time - 0300. Finding an exterior door unsecured, he went in, did the usual clearing process, worked his way to the second floor and found a suspect in an office apparently using the phone.

Suspect turned, deputy saw the flash of a knife clip in his front pocket. Fun ensued while the deputy controlled the suspect and cuffed him. No resistance, and the perp is yelling, "I was only trying to get warm!" "I know my rights!"

In addition to the knife, there is also a small, boxed Maglight in the suspect's possession. Fast forward now to court.

Knife and flashlight are revealed to be the property of the engineer of the cold storage warehouse. Suspect has no permission to be there, is a transient with priors, and claims to have only been trying to get out of the weather, not steal anything.

Clearly the perp wants to be found guilty of criminal trespass instead of burglary 2, Much lighter sentence. (This actually went to superior court for a jury trial......odd)

In the jury room, I end up as presiding juror and find that there is one juror who doesn't understand the definition of 'intent'. She think that the poor fellow didn't INTEND to steal when he went in there........therefor he should not get the more severe conviction. It actually took about an hour to convince her that having the property of someone ELSE.....in his pocket...demonstrates INTENT to steal it.

Verdict [finally] found. Burglary 2. Bye bye BG.

I enjoyed the experience, glad to have been able to serve. It's interesting to learn a bit about human nature....and I even got to meet a real live sheep!
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Ugh, I hate jury duty.

I was unable to make the people on my criminal trial understand that someone CHASING someone else across the property with a knife trying to kill them shows intent to kill. Stupid college girls who were my age at the time could not wrap their heads around that.

Administrator
    Good Job.
    Though I fear that our jury system is fast going down the tubes as "our peers" become increasingly more log-headed and moronic.
    Rock and Glock and Yankeejib like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post
    "I know my rights!"
    Yeah, he does now. Nice work. I had jury duty last march. Rape case. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Ugh, I hate jury duty.

I was unable to make the people on my criminal trial understand that someone CHASING someone else across the property with a knife trying to kill them shows intent to kill. Stupid college girls who were my age at the time could not wrap their heads around that.
    Put them in the place of the person being chased and see if it registers!
    Naufragia likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have no civic duty or obligation to perform jury duty. Each time I make sure to tell them that I am racist and will vote guilty based on any number of ridiculous reasons.

Somehow I've never been selected.

I have an easier way NYCrulesU, I tell them I listen to talk radio. "dismissed"
    Yankeejib likes this.

I have never served on a jury. I've been called in a dozen times over the years. I have to fill out all of the papers, sit in the court room for hours while morons keep asking idiotic questions to the attorney that aren't even really relevant..But in the end, they never pick me. My guess is the defense attorney probably strikes me out since on the paper where it asks to list organizations I always list N.R.A and my church, plus my lack of criminal history. So they probably suspect I'd not be very compassionate to a criminal - and they're right.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I made an oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post
    :SNIP:
    I enjoyed the experience, glad to have been able to serve. It's interesting to learn a bit about human nature....and I even got to meet a real live sheep!
    Good for you Brademan. Having served on three juries myself I have to agree with you. On one of the juries I sat on I spent all day convincing another juror that just because someone can afford to pay is not a good reason to take it from them.I like to think that had I took the easy way out and not served that the person being sued would have paid money to the person suing him. Not because he lost on the merits of the case, but simply because he was rich and could afford to pay something.

People get upset when someone is awarded a million because the hamburger they ordered has fewer pickles that the one pictured on the menu. Then they brag about how they got out of serving by outsmarting the system.

The jury system also gives ordinary citizens a powerful tool to keep the government in check. If a law is wrong, or the government is using a law in a manner it was never intended to be used the jury can slap them down.

For those out there who brag about getting out of jury duty. I can only hope if you are ever a defendant that you get the jury you are advocating. I hope you do not have someone setting on the jury who is willing to work at convincing other jury members what the true merits of the case are.
    Remember, there are thousands of new laws created every year in this country. You are but one new law away from being a felon.

Michael
    Hoganbeg, HotGuns and Brademan like this.

I finally served on a Jury myself recently. It was a Federal Civil Case (does anyone else besides me see the irony in using the word "civil" to describe court proceedings?).

The case was about a product produced by a company and the Plaintiff was suing for damages the product allegedly caused. Long story short, the Plaintiff did not present enough evidence for us (Jury) to rule in their favour, so they lost.

I'm still in the Jury Pool and could be called back. It was interesting but a bit stressful at times.
    Brademan likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by bolocanolo View Post
    I tell them I listen to talk radio. "dismissed"
    Does that actually work?

i love how you "got to meet a live sheep" lmao classic
    never stood jury duty... active military
    Brademan likes this.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Good for you Brademan. Having served on three juries myself I have to agree with you. On one of the juries I sat on I spent all day convincing another juror that just because someone can afford to pay is not a good reason to take it from them.I like to think that had I took the easy way out and not served that the person being sued would have paid money to the person suing him. Not because he lost on the merits of the case, but simply because he was rich and could afford to pay something.

People get upset when someone is awarded a million because the hamburger they ordered has fewer pickles that the one pictured on the menu. Then they brag about how they got out of serving by outsmarting the system.

The jury system also gives ordinary citizens a powerful tool to keep the government in check. If a law is wrong, or the government is using a law in a manner it was never intended to be used the jury can slap them down.

For those out there who brag about getting out of jury duty. I can only hope if you are ever a defendant that you get the jury you are advocating. I hope you do not have someone setting on the jury who is willing to work at convincing other jury members what the true merits of the case are.
    Remember, there are thousands of new laws created every year in this country. You are but one new law away from being a felon.

Michael

Amen, Brother! Most people neither understand, nor care about, the power they have as a jury member. They'd rather just complain about the bad laws and stupid juries out there. And don't get me started about Jury Nullification. I've heard Judges threaten to hold in contempt anyone mentioning it.
    Brademan likes this.

I intend never to allow a jury to dictate my future. Oh crap...dangling chads.......
    Brademan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

For those out there who brag about getting out of jury duty. I can only hope if you are ever a defendant that you get the jury you are advocating. I hope you do not have someone sitting on the jury who is willing to work at convincing other jury members what the true merits of the case are.

Michael
    +1 on that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links