How to Make a Citizenís Arrest

This is a discussion on How to Make a Citizenís Arrest within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Criminal court and civil court are two entirely different animals. Just ask O.J....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How to Make a Citizenís Arrest

Criminal court and civil court are two entirely different animals. Just ask O.J.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    There's a lot of ways to make this argument, but one theme that I particularly like to see repeated around here is the theme that says use your head first. Any situation could probably be handled any number of ways, but it's my contention that being a very good witness can often be as effective as intervening in many situations.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Anyone who thinks they are good enough to stand between some scrote and his freedom when that scrote knows if he goes to jail, he's gonna have to detox in a pool of his own feces, vomit and urine...or knows he's got warrants and he's not getting out on bond because of he has a failure to appear on his record...

Be my guest.

You may be that ninja or he may be that bad.

You risk it. Not me.

I'm not saying don't help someone in need...and that's a seperate issue, because people consistantly misrepresent the options of helping people to mean going balls deep or doing nothing when their is a lot of in between...I'm saying if the guy wants to go...

and you want to stop him...

You better be that ninja.

Self defense laws usually have the provision in it about using force on somoene who is clearly trying to leave the conflict.

Careful you don't run afoul of those provisions in law...

An ex NYPD officer turned criminal justice professor told us what to do if we were confronted by a scrote who wanted to leave...

Assuming we weren't cops with an obligation to arrest, let him go.

"He wants to go get right (shoot up/do a line). You are stopping him from doing it, and that's a bad place to be..."

If you aren't justified in putting a round in his head, leave it alone.
    JDE101 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I do think the addition of a firearm, as most of us on this board are prone to carry, changes things a little. You have to be aware that if you do get involved, and things turn into an altercation, the possibility of a BG taking your gun away from you and ending your life -- I mean what the heck, if he's willing to break the law, he's willing to break a law -- can significantly change things.

I really like that Art of Maniliness site and I think they post a lot of good stuf. I think this particular article calls for some very close reading and understanding. There are a lot of risks involved in performing a CA.

I stand by my first statement: there's almost no circumstance where being a good witness wouldn't be just as effective. And the only time to pull the weapon is when it's crystal clear that if you don't use it, you or someone very close to you is going to be badly maimed or killed.
    barstoolguru and JDE101 like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links