How to Make a Citizenís Arrest

This is a discussion on How to Make a Citizenís Arrest within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't expect this to come up in my life anytime soon; but still, it is an interesting read and an interesting concept we inherited ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How to Make a Citizenís Arrest

How to Make a Citizenís Arrest

I don't expect this to come up in my life anytime soon; but still, it is an interesting read and an interesting concept we inherited from English Common Law.

Suffice it to say that extreme caution should be used when exercising this "right."

How to Make a Citizen's Arrest
    bigmacque likes this.

2. Remove Ads

The easiest and most painless way of making a citizen's arrest is to call 911 and explain the need.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    The easiest and most painless way of making a citizen's arrest is to call 911 and explain the need.
    LoL... No doubt that's the most sensible.

Oh, no...

It is an interesting article to read, but I agree with Hiram25--call 911 and don't try to be a hero! Especially if you have a CCW! Even in the best of cases, the liberal gun hating press is likely to make YOU out to be a bad guy or nut case cop wannabe just because you carry a gun! Certainly don't expect to be treated like a "hero"!!! I carry a gun to protect myself and family. Period. Not that I might not intervene in some dire circumstances to protect others, but the circumstances would have to be very clear cut and dire before I do anything other than call 911 and act as a good witness.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

How to Make a Citizen's Arrest

Don't.

In the alternative:

If you should ever have to use your weapon in self defense, and the BG is down. While pointing at the BG, tell the police "He attacked me, I will press charges (or file a complaint)"... even if he's dead.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Make sure you remember to mail order your badge first!!

Itís not a matter of being a hero; it's a matter of the BG getting away. letís face it if all you have is a poor description of them/him/her the chances of them getting caught are slim to none. if it's YOUR stuff they are ripping off or trashing you have the right to do it.

I did it twice so far and no it didn't make me feel like a hero but knowing the BG didn't get away is worth it. Once it was a pick pocket on a bus and the second was a B&E at the house next door where we ran the guy down in a foot chase and capture. In both situations the BG would have got away just waiting for the cops

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    It’s not a matter of being a hero; it's a matter of the BG getting away. let’s face it if all you have is a poor description of them/him/her the chances of them getting caught are slim to none. if it's YOUR stuff they are ripping off or trashing you have the right to do it.

I did it twice so far and no it didn't make me feel like a hero but knowing the BG didn't get away is worth it. Once it was a pick pocket on a bus and the second was a B&E at the house next door where we ran the guy down in a foot chase and capture. In both situations the BG would have got away just waiting for the cops
    In some states,if you chase a guy that stole your property,and he pulls a gun so you pull yours and shoot him,you go to jail,since you escalated the situation.
    There are way too many things that can go wrong,and you are not only facing criminal charges,but may be sued civilly.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In some states,if you chase a guy that stole your property,and he pulls a gun so you pull yours and shoot him,you go to jail,since you escalated the situation.
    There are way too many things that can go wrong,and you are not only facing criminal charges,but may be sued civilly.
    In the state of Texas that is not the case you can use firearm to apprehend a thief but in both of mine I was unarmed. Two kinds of men out there ones that stand and do nothing and the other gets involved the choice is up to the individual; I chose to get involved

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm curious, Hiram: Is there any circumstance where you think it might be advisable for a civilian to make a citizen's arrest?

(Maybe I should have posted this in the "Defensive Scenarios" section)

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I don't think there is any situation in which making a citizen's arrest is a good idea. If a guy is running away, let him go and be a good witness.

The only time to draw your gun is when it's eminent that you or someone close to you is about to get pulverized or shot, and the only option you have left is to pull your weapon and draw down on them.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

[QUOTE=bigmacque;2095339]I don't think there is any situation in which making a citizen's arrest is a good idea. If a guy is running away, let him go and be a good witness.

QUOTE]

this guy says different... he got involved and because of it they caugh a molester

Citizen's Arrest Hero - YouTube

Just an FYI in the Dallas/Ft Worth area on any day there are 650 cops on duty per shift for 6 million people, that is basically one cop per 1000 residents. Some are paper pushers, some are writing tickets, and some are eating donuts so what are the chances that the criminal is going to get caught?
    bigmacque likes this.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    ďThey who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.Ē - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In some states,if you chase a guy that stole your property, and he pulls a gun so you pull yours and shoot him, you go to jail, since you escalated the situation.
    Huh??
    ďThey who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.Ē - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links