(Your Group goes here)...Bashing

This is a discussion on (Your Group goes here)...Bashing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The thread about the TSA workers and the purse with the pistol design on it made me think about this issue. Its almost impossible to ...

Thread: (Your Group goes here)...Bashing

The thread about the TSA workers and the purse with the pistol design on it made me think about this issue.

Its almost impossible to mention a bad apple or apples in a particular group without being accused of group bashing. This happens when discussing cops, unions, TSA or other organizations.
    As a former member of a commonly bashed group I can somewhat understand the desire to protect your group. However I would hazard to say that in all but a very few cases it is the individuals of the group that is being bashed and not the whole organization.

What I do not understand is why when someone points out that individuals in a group are doing something wrong they are accused of bashing the entire group. I do not understand how those in the group can think that defending the wrongdoings of other members in the group is protecting their group. It harms the group or organization in many ways. Most obvious ways are loss of respect from society and the fact they keep the wrong doers in the group.

Pointing out a Union member who is doing drugs and drinking on his lunch break is not Union bashing.
    Pointing out a Cop who abuses hi power is not Cop bashing.
    Pointing out a politician on the take is not Congress bashing.
    Pointing out a bad church leader is not bashing religion.

Now if these any of the groups were to blindly protect wrongdoing of their members it would be both proper and necessary to bash those groups relentlessly.

Michael

JD
    Administrator
    The problem lies in singular vs. plural, bash singulars all you want, but when people start bashing with a broad brush, issues arise.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The problem lies in singular vs. plural, bash singulars all you want, but when people start bashing with a broad brush, issues arise.
    Understood. I guess folks need to get thicker skins. We all need to take a step back when our group is under attack and look to see if there is merit in what the attacker is saying.
    Believe me I know full well what it is like to be on the receiving end. I have had to defend people who did things I did not agree with at times. In those cases I never once condoned their actions or made excuses for them.
    I have always thought the best way to protect the organization was to purge the ones who might be abusing it. Maybe my skin is just thicker than most.

Michael

Sponsored Links