Major Oooops from Mythbusters

This is a discussion on Major Oooops from Mythbusters within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO My dog would have ruined the carpet. I might've 'ruined' the carpet AND the dog....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Major Oooops from Mythbusters

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My dog would have ruined the carpet.
    I might've 'ruined' the carpet AND the dog.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    They also fired a granite cannonball from the loading docks over in Alameda that they never recovered either. It's amusing that they look for it every time they're out there, like it hasn't occurred to them that it likely went through one of the buildings in the city.
    Wouldn't someone have reported a cannon ball going through their building? And that would be one heck of a range record for a cannon at that.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Something tells me they won't be utilising the bomb range anymore,and it's a good bet their EOD guy is also not gonna be participating in any future experiments.
    From what I read in the article, the cannon tipped, so it was an emplacement error, not like they aimed it on purpose. I doubt the EOD dude can catch any backlash from that, but I guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by onehit View Post
    It was a bomb range not a shooting range. They shouldn't be firing projectiles at a bomb range anyway.
    I don't know about your local ranges, but I'm reasonably sure most available ranges wouldn't want you firing a cannon into their backstop. To me, a bomb range seems like a way more reasonable place to fire off a cannon, especially since with it being Mythbusters meaning the cannon was probably some other object (that could turn into a bomb if something went wrong) and not an actual purpose-built cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    The truth is that those guys are special effects artists and not really qualified to do a great many things that they do. I'm sure the Sheriff's Departments EOD guy is good at what he does but if I were a gambling man I'd be willing to wager that there's not anyone who was in Artillery anywhere near that place when they pulled this stunt.
    They aren't qualified for a good bit of it, which would probably be the reason they bring in experts.

I'd also like to point out that they've fired a lot of weird improvised weapons over the years and it is kind of surprising that this is the first time something like this happened, but then again they do seem to take as many precautions as they can. Simple mistake.

I'd say this is like any other ND/AD (let's not even start that term war haha), which it seems quite a few people here have been willing to admit to having, it sucks that it happened, thank God no one was hurt and hopefully it doesn't happen again.
    Doodle likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links