Need Help ! Advice please on Hiker Pro Microfilter

This is a discussion on Need Help ! Advice please on Hiker Pro Microfilter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have come to ask your advice about water purification in general and this unit in specific: http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Hiker-.../dp/B0055QDJBG Over the years I have come to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky

Thread: Need Help ! Advice please on Hiker Pro Microfilter

Need Help ! Advice please on Hiker Pro Microfilter

I have come to ask your advice about water purification in general and this unit in specific:

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Hiker-.../dp/B0055QDJBG

Over the years I have come to respect and appreciate the opinions and experience of many posters here. Even found myself buying pistols, holsters and related gear on advice posted on this forum. So here I am asking if you have personal experience with this unit....please relate for my education prior to my decision to purchase. For years now I have just boiled water in the backcountry or used iodine tabs. Time for me to move into the filter process of water since I nolonger solo backpack. So PROS or CONS, other filters that you recommend, I appreciate the input. Thank you

Oh, I am rough on equipment...so durability is an issue.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

2. Remove Ads

I'd ask over here: ETS Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

Personally I'm a fan of the Katadyn Micropur tablets. The iodine is a pain to deal with.

-john

i have had and used the MSR water works, fist need, Hiker Pro, and about 4 others... the Hiker Pro is the easiest to pump with the most output per pump and the least likely to clog up in the field..

get it...

Thanks for the input. Reading the reviews of the Hiker Pro is similar to reading this forum's posts on Kahr pistols. It is split tween the lovers and haters (and that always makes one nervous about spending the cash).
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

I love mine. I've had it several years. I use it on backpacking and dayhiking trips. I have never had an issue with it. And the bottle adapter on the output is really handy. Easy to pump, compact, and fast. What's not to love? I have used MSR and PUR before. I like this one the best.

FWIW, the Steripens seem to be well liked too. I just prefer a straight up filter. If it's for more than one person, the filter is hard to beat. But bear in mind that is not a purifier, it's a filter. You may want to investigate the difference before you fork out the money. Just to be sure you get one that does what you need.

Backpacking Water Filters vs. Water Purifiers
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    Adding Aquamira (Chlorine Dioxide) Water Purifier Tablets does not add Chlorine "CLOROX" taste to water. NONE.
    But, (minor downside) you need to treat your water ahead of time.

I would filter and the add either the Aquamira drops or tablets.
    Our water sources are plentiful and quite good here in PA.

Kills at least 99.99% of bacteria (Klebsiella terrigena) and viruses (Poliovirus and Rotavirus) and 99.9% of cysts (Giardia muris and Cryptosporidium parvum) within four hours.

I used the MSR pump filter for years of backpacking in Alaska, never got sick. a couple of years ago, I was in a group of six doing kayaking camping on Fontana Lake in the Smokies. I brought along clorine dioxide tabs, but one gal had her new Steripen. she ended up using it for all the water for the 6 of us. it took about 2 minutes to process a liter of water, and one set of batteries did the trick.
    more recently, I have been considering a gravity filter system from REI, Sawyer Complete Water Filter System - 2 Liter. it is $99, for a system which produces 2 liters in a few minutes. it got a high favorability in reviews, and it says it has a million gallon guarantee.

Administrator
    This one works really well and is better than the aquamira straw. It's more expensive though.
    I carry it and the Hydro Pack units and also the aquamira drops since they hardly weigh anything.

For the vast majority of available freash water sources in Pennsylvania this one works just fine and it weighs near bout nothing.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    I have had good results from my hiker pro. Kayaking and backpacking in MI usually leaves plenty of opportunities to get decent water. Be sure you investigate the area you are planning on using the filter for issues though. (once kayaked a river they had put poison in to kill lampreys, better to know this before attempting to filter).
    QKShooter likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Compared to the older Katadyn it sure seems to me like they have cheapened things up a bit. I guess the reality is that everything eventually gets revamped and redesigned with newer materials and updated manufacturing techniques etc...I have always wondered how the lastest unit will hold up.

Just remember to have some back-up method to provide safe, potable water.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I love mine. I've had it several years.

Links