Cowboy Shooting Competition

This is a discussion on Cowboy Shooting Competition within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Shoot Like A Real Cowboy | Fox News This looks like a lot of fun: If you ever wanted a chance to shoot like a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigkahuna

Thread: Cowboy Shooting Competition

Shoot Like A Real Cowboy | Fox News

This looks like a lot of fun:

If you ever wanted a chance to shoot like a real cowboy, here's your chance. Stumble upon the firing ranges of the Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club and it may feel like a trip back to the Wild West. Every month gun enthusiasts come out for the Judge Roy Bean Shooting Match outside of El Paso, Tex. to take part in a shoot out competition, complete with antique-style guns, specially designed targets and even Western monikers.

“Everybody wants to be a cowboy from when they are a kid. This just gives us a chance to fulfill these fantasies,” said shooter Shawn Goggin – better known on the ranges as “Irish Billy Jordan.”

The competition has been drawing out cowboys, and a few cowgirls, since the late 1980s -- but recently the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting has become a fast-growing trend. Groups like the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS), which has over 70,000 members, holds public and private competitions worldwide, drawing in Old West aficionados of all guns and stripes.

Members get to play the part by getting special badges and registered alias. While the Judge Roy Bean Shooting Match is not directly affiliated with the SASS, many of its regulars are SASS members.

“It’s just fun, excitement, enjoyment, getting to shoot; having a little friendly competition. (You) get to sort of re-enact the movies that we saw, those gun fights that you read about from history,” said shooter Nicholaus Kaszczuk.

Here's how it works. At the range, three stages designed by members are set up with targets posted about 30 yards from the shooter. Alternating from four different Old Western-style guns, all modern re-makes from the 1900s, the shooters attempt to successfully hit targets as many times without missing. Participants are judged not only on accuracy, but also speed.

Match director and long time member Ken Smith, a.k.a. “Stumpy Smith,” said what separates these matches from other shooting clubs is the way they keep score. Electronic timers measure the time it takes the cowboy or cowgirl to shoot the targets. Each miss adds 10 seconds to his or her score.

“The key is: you want to shoot clean and shoot fast,” said shooter Ira Smith, a.k.a JD Kidder. The amount of time to shoot is different at each range, generally one minute. The lowest time recorded wins.

“The real fast shooters get a little flustered at it, trying to shoot at high speed and they miss a lot. Ten seconds a miss adds up pretty quick,” said “Stumpy” Smith.

The Old Western guns include two single action revolvers, a double barrel shot gun, and a lever action pistol caliber rifle. These cowboys bring their own guns, and must undergo a safety check before each competition.
    Smith (JD Kidder) said this gives him a mix of three of his favorite passions. “I like history, I like shooting competitions, and I like (researching) the guns.”

The cowboys said this club is more about shooting old guns. “There’s a lot of camaraderie, a lot of fellowship with the other shooters,” added Goggin.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'd do it in a heart beat.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    It does sound like a lot of fun. I don't have time for it now, but hope folks are still doing it when I fully retire (in about 10 years).

I can't really do anything "fast" anymore! I'd have to get real "accurate"!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    LOL. That's what I'm worried about - by the time I have time to do it, I'll be out there with my holster hanging on my walker.

I was a member of the SASS while I was in Colorado great group and fun times. A bit pricey to get in you need two period style sidearm's single action of course, a rig to hold the side arms, a period shotgun (coach gun) and a lever action rifle that will hold 10 rounds. Plenty of ammo each get together you could burn a hundred or more rounds plus a half box of shot gun shells. Defiantly need to be into reloading your own ammo or have a big saving account.

Was fun though going through the stages and being timed miss shot will cost you time. Each month was different scenarios so kept it interesting try it out if interested some of the groups will lend you the firearms needed to try it out or if you need to borrow a rig until you can buy one etc.
    Son remeber this and you will go far ........

"The gunfight is in the head, not in the hands."
    +++++
    "God is Great... Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy"
    +++++

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i got involved early on. and it was fun and grew fast.

became so popular that often one waited 4 hours for your turn at the stage.
    than the equipment race got going and the fun became less.
    i still go to the regionals but i have more fun with the side matches than the main shoot.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Seems like alot of fun. I did not get into SASS though because of the requirement for all those guns. Lots of investment and too much emphasis on speed for my taste.

There is another organization, National Congress of Old West Shootist, which has a working cowboy class. The working cowboy class requires just one revolver and one rifle. I wish there were a club here in Virginia.

Damn, as a registered Native American, I thought we were gonna get a chance to line up cowboys and shoot them. You did say Cowboy shooting Contest.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    that's enough for me.

Links