Furnace controller....

This is a discussion on Furnace controller.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 5 year old high efficiency Lenox gas fired boiler and the mother board went bad.... $320 later it is running again, so I said "WAIT" ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheldon J

Thread: Furnace controller....

Thumbs up Furnace controller....

5 year old high efficiency Lenox gas fired boiler and the mother board went bad....
    $320 later it is running again, so I said "WAIT" to the installer "I want the old one" his opinion is he doubted it could be fixed...

I'm a HAM and everything is subject to a hack or repair, so a quick call to Mouser Electronics, and 2 two new relays later for a grand total of $3.62 delivered I now have a spare so the next time this happens... Did I say I bought a few extras....
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Never tell a Ham "it can't be fixed" =)

Dave KxxxxxI
    Last edited by Retiredonce; December 14th, 2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Reverse lookup is too informative...lol
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    By that subject line, I figuered on seeing a picture of your wife. I'd be in the dog house for a week if I tried to adjust the Temp in the house.

Glad you got it fixed. lots of people don't feel like messing with anyhting these days. Take the easy fix and move onto the next job, it's not their money their spending.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Sponsor
    That's the way to do it!

Always get your Lenox parts back from any service done. Lenox is one of those proprietary mfgs. You cant use generic parts and they won't sell to the owner, only a service tech.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    That's the way to do it!

Always get your Lenox parts back from any service done. Lenox is one of those proprietary mfgs. You cant use generic parts and they won't sell to the owner, only a service tech.
    That's precisely the reason I was a Rheem and Goodman dealer.

....Do not like Lennox....better ways then them.....Sheldon, good work, no more $350 boards, wait 5 years you can sell them on EBAY for bank....or back to that Lennox dealer

He wanted it because it could be fixed and he was gonna sell it to somebody else. I work in the construction field and this stuff happens all the time. From a business standpoint its genius (yet shady). He sells you a new one, say he made 50%. $160. Subtract the $3.62 to fix "broken" one. He makes $156.38. Then he goes to your neighbors house and sells her your "fixed" board, that you paid him to take, for $360. He then leaves with her "Broken" board and the cycle continues!

Sponsor
    Chemistry08,
    I doubt that the Lenox tech had enough on the ball to perpetrate that scam. It's possible but not likely. Anyone that savy is going to have a better gig than installing/servicing residential HVAC.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Two questions. What is the factory warranty on the board?

Did you call Lenox and speak to customer service and ask them to pick up part of the tab for a 5 year old machine?

Why would you need heat?

Oh, wait, I see where YOU live... ;-p
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I checked on it and unless you buy ( I did not) their extended plan it is 1 year on electronics and 25 years on the boiler, but they did warranty the new one for 2 years so when it fails 3 years after that I will have a spare on the wall...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links