deer

deer

This is a discussion on deer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wanted to post a picture of the small 8 point buck i got this year with my bow. It was taken behind my house ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: deer

deer

Just wanted to post a picture of the small 8 point buck i got this year with my bow. It was taken behind my house (i own 20 acres here in NY) on October 18th around 4pm. I spend most of October in the woods bow hunting, and this little guy came in to 8 yards. I was in a tree stand located near my apple trees. I had trail cam pics of this guy throughout the summer, and was glad to get a quick kill. I use a PSE Stinger compound bow 70# with G5 striker broadheads. Was a perfect hit, and he only went about 50 yards. Cheers! nothing like backstraps on the grill!
    Attached Images
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I wish I could go hunting. I missed out this year with work. :(

Congrats, I only have to add......nothing like venison jerky :) Good shooting!

thanks... i do have a food dehydrator.... loved the smoked flavor of ground deer jerky!!!!
    "6 P's of self defense "

Never bow hunted so I can't appreciate the skill, etc. needed to be successful bringing down a deer. I still have a couple of pieces of back strap and roasts in the freezer, but the jerky is just a memory!

Congrats!

Sponsor
    MMMMM, smoked deer heart, MMMMM

Nice Shot!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    That sure will be some good eating bunker.

Good job. A bow kill of ANY deer makes it a trophy. Lot more skill needed for that than any firearm. Hats off to you.
    bakes and oneshot like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Bow season starts in early October here in NYS. Leaves are still on the trees, days are somewhat warm, and night and cold and crisp. Deer in early October are still moving in summer patterns, and middle of July the bucks are in bachelor groups trying to see who is King Tut.

I usually take off at least ten days during archery season, and it is when you see the most deer. Once the orange army comes out in mid November, i have allready sat for four weeks straight. This year i bought a climber, and was more mobile than past years. I have six ladder stands set up in woods, but they seem to have different travel patterns from year to year.

The skill comes into play when trying to figure out what they are eating, and at what times. There were no acorns in NYS this year, but the apples were plentiful. I have 20 acres of woods, and it is on a pretty steep mountain/hill.... all of which is accessible. The deer this year came in an hour or two before dark, and B lined toward the apple trees to eat.

I did practice my bow skills quite a bit this past summer, but it is always more difficult when you have lots of clothes on, shaking from the adrenaline of an approaching deer. Breathing techniques are a must, and lowering heart rate leads to a successfull shot. Wind was in my favor, and everything else fell into place. My avatar shows a 120" ten point i got in 2009... a shoulder mount resides in my log cabin.
    bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Cool. I'm good at stalking but terrible with a bow, better off stabbing with the arrows.
    I got one with my Ford truck a few days ago. Dumb bucks are all over the place right now, got to be careful. maybe I'll put a net between my apple trees.

Nice kill, love to bowhunt, only time i use anything other than a bow is late muzzleloader season, if the deer are winning.....then I will sneak a single shot in on em.....Have 1 doe in the freezor, minus a backstrap....love the summer sausage with cheese n jalepenos, have a place here that just trades ya weight on the meat on summer sausage, venison sticks, jerkey ect......
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Congrats on your bow kill..! I do most of my hunting with a bow these days. After 25+ years in the hunting business and countless kills, bowhunting puts the sport back in hunting for me. I still harvest a lot of does and culls for my management program with a rifle, due to the number of deer we have to harvest, but I always try to hunt a good buck with one of my bows. The first deer here is a buck I killed with my bow last season....the second two pics is a deer I was hunting with my bow during bow season this year but due to a drastic amount of oilfield activity that put the buck on the move early in the season, when I finally found him, I went ahead and took him with a rifle before he was gone for good. I would have much rather taken him with a bow but sometimes things just don't work out like we plan!

DSC00958.jpg

003.JPG

photo.JPG
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Quote Originally Posted by TXOutfitter View Post
    Congrats on your bow kill..! I do most of my hunting with a bow these days. After 25+ years in the hunting business and countless kills, bowhunting puts the sport back in hunting for me. I still harvest a lot of does and culls for my management program with a rifle, due to the number of deer we have to harvest, but I always try to hunt a good buck with one of my bows. The first deer here is a buck I killed with my bow last season....the second two pics is a deer I was hunting with my bow during bow season this year but due to a drastic amount of oilfield activity that put the buck on the move early in the season, when I finally found him, I went ahead and took him with a rifle before he was gone for good. I would have much rather taken him with a bow but sometimes things just don't work out like we plan!

DSC00958.jpg

003.JPG

photo.JPG
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i would give my left nut for a chance at a deer like that!!!!!!!!!!!!! More details about your ranch, especially about guide service??? i take it from your screen name you are an outfitter??? any wild hogs on your property? Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Nice deer. I only got a small doe with my bow this year. I'm gonna have to shoot more going into next season, and move some stands. We are in the post rut, firearms season lull. I've not seen a deer since the 4 ptr I shot the Sat before Thanksgiving.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Cupid!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links