What is going on with Today's generation of military personnal?

This is a discussion on What is going on with Today's generation of military personnal? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok possibly the generational gap excuses for the E2's and E1's but the E6's no excuses what so ever... are they giving these 6 packs ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What is going on with Today's generation of military personnal?

Ok possibly the generational gap excuses for the E2's and E1's but the E6's no excuses what so ever... are they giving these 6 packs away now as a lottery or do they have to earn them... sad very sad if you ask me .....
    Son remeber this and you will go far ........

"The gunfight is in the head, not in the hands."
    +++++
    "God is Great... Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy"
    +++++

2. Remove Ads

I think somebody felt that picture would be just totally awesome and would get a lot of hits on the internet,ever since youtube and other sites have popped up people have been trying to get their 15 seconds of fame.These guys and gals are already being introduced the the UCMJ,Conduct unbecoming,and a few other charges will at the very least be demotions all around,a definite career ending stupid decision for all involved
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I look at it as gallows humor. It is something I would expect from people who face death more often than the rest of us. I really doubt they were trying to make a politcal statement or even meant for many people to see. Childish? Yes. Should they be reprimanded? Yes. Other than that, let it go. They had nothing to do with the soldiers' remains in the landfill and these two events should not be tied together.

When did we become a nation of mamby-pambies?
    gunsnroses and 82d DIVARTY like this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I look at it as gallows humor. It is something I would expect from people who face death more often than the rest of us. I really doubt they were trying to make a politcal statement or even meant for many people to see. Childish? Yes. Should they be reprimanded? Yes. Other than that, let it go. They had nothing to do with the soldiers' remains in the landfill and these two events should not be tied together.

Gallows humor is one thing, I know and get that all to well. But, that is done behind closed doors with people who also understand the context. The general public does not. Taking photos and other steps, then sending it out is another issue-
    NYCrulesU and baren like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't know phreddy, it may be just the opposite...these may be some of the very few who have NOT seen combat and don't know the stupidity of what they're doing. That and the ease of the internet and electronic world of putting anything in your face immediatley these days. Abu Graib ring a bell?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I really doubt they were trying to make a politcal statement or even meant for many people to see.
    Whenever I am sharing a private joke with someone, the first thing I'll do is post it to Facebook. Because it's the Internet. The one place where anyone should expect a reasonable level of privacy. :)

For what it's worth, I agree that these jokers didn't look at the law of unintended consequences.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    From what I read, the picture was leaked to the press from a family member of one of the people involved. If that had not happened, who would have seen it? The friends of the guy who posted it on facebook.

I agree it is immature and they should have some type of punishment, but it needs to be tempered and not colored by all the other politcal stuff going on.

Comparing this to Abu Graib is a big stretch.

That's a disgrace for all the fine men and women that had to be put in that coffin! A joke or not they should be disciplined!

These were not mortuary affairs folks...these were aeroport folks--the people who load up the planes with cargo--they do not handle remains like mortuary affairs folks. On top of that, when deployed, these folks stay at large FOBs/Airfields, so they aren't out on PRT teams.

Second, as much as the two events are dissimilar, the common thread between the two is: it is the AF that is involved and involves a coffin. In the public eye, and the perception inside the 5-sided building (to which zero common sense lies)--the timing could not be worse. These folks will be made an example of, but you won't hear what the punishment will be, as that will be governed by the Privacy Act.

Third, this was poor judgment on behalf of the NCOs--they will be the ones who take the hit...the E2/E3s (being E2/E3s) probably didn't have a problem with it and didn't think of the implications if the photo was seen out of context of their circle of influence.

It's not a matter of being mamby-pambies...in today's military, public perception is key: recruitment, funding, and credit upon the service and its members. If your service looks like a bunch of idiots, there will be implications down the line. Also, if you bring discredit upon the service in a public way, you can see it reflected in your EPR/OPR and possibly after a given time, thanked for your service and shown the door.

As an Airman, this disgusts me...I definitely would not have condoned it. I've stopped similar pictures from being taken and given the proper counseling while preparing for deployment or while on deployment (if they've taken pictures at another time--that's on them) because had they been posted online, it would have not looked favorably upon the service. But the bottom-line is: do stupid things, win stupid prizes.
    jumpwing and baren like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Gallows humor is one thing, I know and get that all to well. But, that is done behind closed doors with people who also understand the context. The general public does not. Taking photos and other steps, then sending it out is another issue-
    I couldn't agree more.

To this day, years later, I thank God for my wife and small group of combat buddies that stay in touch. They get my quirkiness and the things I say. Not many others do.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Keep in mind, folks, the internet is a very new technology. Most people haven't caught up with the idea that posting a picture equates to immediate worldwide exposure. In particular, those old-school NCOs in the photo are clearly in their mid-20s and didn't grow up in a world with social sites and search engines.

And if you believe any of that, PM me immediately because I've got a bridge to sell you.
    hogdaddy and Bkrazy like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Keep in mind, folks, the internet is a very new technology. Most people haven't caught up with the idea that posting a picture equates to immediate worldwide exposure. In particular, those old-school NCOs in the photo are clearly in their mid-20s and didn't grow up in a world with social sites and search engines.

And if you believe any of that, PM me immediately because I've got a bridge to sell you.
    Glad you tacked that last sentence on there. I was beginning to think you were nuts.
    SIGguy229 and jumpwing like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Bad to go, no doubt, but if you're going call people out, learn how to spell.

I'm not excusing the photo in any way; however, my understanding is that this photo was taken at a tech school. Apparently, it's tradition that each class do a serious photo and a gag photo. This, obviously, would be the gag photo. One possible explanation that I have heard is that this took place a few months after bin Laden's death. Saddam was hanged (thus, the noose), and bin Laden was locked up and dumped into the sea (thus, the chains). I have no idea if that's the intent or not, but it puts a whole different spin on things. If that's the case, the "Sucks 2 B U" would be in reference to our enemies. I'm guessing the crossed arms would be class 11-10 (tenth class of the FY, indicated by the roman numeral "X"), but that's a complete guess.

I say, let the investigation take its course. Poor taste? Absolutely. Malicious intent? Prove it to me.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I'm not excusing the photo in any way; however, my understanding is that this photo was taken at a tech school. Apparently, it's tradition that each class do a serious photo and a gag photo. This, obviously, would be the gag photo. One possible explanation that I have heard is that this took place a few months after bin Laden's death. Saddam was hanged (thus, the noose), and bin Laden was locked up and dumped into the sea (thus, the chains). I have no idea if that's the intent or not, but it puts a whole different spin on things. If that's the case, the "Sucks 2 B U" would be in reference to our enemies. I'm guessing the crossed arms would be class 11-10 (tenth class of the FY, indicated by the roman numeral "X"), but that's a complete guess.

I say, let the investigation take its course. Poor taste? Absolutely. Malicious intent? Prove it to me.
    Agreed...poor taste. NO malicious intent. If someone believes that, I'd like to hear the explanation.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links