What is going on with Today's generation of military personnal?

This is a discussion on What is going on with Today's generation of military personnal? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Air Force has launched an investigation into a controversial photo that shows several non-commissioned officers posing with an open casket, in which a fellow ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What is going on with Today's generation of military personnal?

What is going on with Today's generation of military personnal?

The Air Force has launched an investigation into a controversial photo that shows several non-commissioned officers posing with an open casket, in which a fellow airman poses with a noose around his neck and chains over his body.

The Air Force Times received a copy of the photo over email, which includes the caption, "Da Dumpt, Da Dumpt . Sucks 2 Be U." The casket is similar to those used to transport deceased U.S. soldiers home from the battlefield.

Air Force Secretary Michael Donley told the paper that investigators were mounting an inquiry of the grief the image might cause for families of fallen service members. "We take this matter seriously. [Air Education and Training Command] has initiated a commander directed investigation," Donley said in a statement.

"Such behavior is not consistent with our core values, and it is not representative of the Airmen I know. It saddens me that this may cause additional grief to the families of our fallen warriors."

The photo, dated August 23rd, was reportedly taken by airmen with the 345th Training Squadron at Fort Lee, Virginia, according to Gerry Proctor, spokesman for the 37th Training Group at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas, which includes the 345th Training Squadron.

First appearing on Facebook in early October, the image has since been forwarded by several individuals, including a former soldier and Army spouse.

The investigation by the commander of the 37th Training Group is expected to take about two weeks, according to David Smith, a spokesman for AETC at Randolph Air Force Base, Tex.

AirForceCasketPhoto.jpg

The military used to be honorable and respected. The ongoing excuse of a few bad apples is apparently getting quite old. Not 1 or 2 airman, but 16! one on the far right female E-6.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Most military people that I know are hoping that everyone in that picture is either out on the street (DD), or back to Airman Basic (E-1). Crap like this needs to be stopped right now, and a strong message sent!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Heads are definitely going to roll over that.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Sucks to be them.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Senior Moderator
    They were probably just bored.

I guess you'll see in it whatever you want to see in it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    What is with them all crossing their arms in an X pattern? And the upper left says 11 or 23 below the logo.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; December 17th, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

To answer your question, in general, absolutely nothing. However, there are bad apples in every batch. Please don't paint our Military with such a broad brush based upon the aberrant behavior of a few. That's like saying that those of us who choose to carry weapons are all killers based upon the behavior of a few outlaws.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    The Air Force has launched an investigation into a controversial photo that shows several non-commissioned officers posing with an open casket, in which a fellow airman poses with a noose around his neck and chains over his body.

The military used to be honorable and respected. The ongoing excuse of a few bad apples is apparently getting quite old. Not 1 or 2 airman, but 16! one on the far right female E-6.

As a retired Air Force Master Sergeant, I'm disgusted with all of them. And the captions I've seen should have said "non-commissioned officers AND airmen". The two females at the right, one at lower right and one at upper right are both E6's, as are the man standing at the head of the casket and the man 3rd from the left with arms crossed. The man kneeling at the head of the casket appears to be an E5 or E6. The two kneeling at the front are an E2 and perhaps an E1, can't see any rank insignia on the one at left.

I'm more disgusted with the NCOs for their lack of leadership and judgement.

They should all have their names published and then be sent home with a dishonorable discharge.
    msgt/ret, baren and Freedom Doc like this.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

VIP Member
    Personally I find it childish and disgusting, transfer cases are for one purpose, the transport of human remains not for the amusement of a bunch of children.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I know I should let it roll off, I knew plenty of idiots in uniform... But that photo really ticks me off.

Court martial them, heavy fines, stockade time while this is in process, and then kick 'em to the curb with a dishonorable discharge.
    RemMod597 and Freedom Doc like this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I see the content, but the intent isn't clear to me.

Would someone explain what they are trying to convey so I can have an informed opinion?

The chains and noose obviously symbolize something, but I am at a loss.

Jim
    Dadsnugun likes this.

It was a stupid action...and unfortunately for them, they will also be guilty of bad timing of when the photo is released--just on the heels of the mortuary affairs debacle.

However, the SSgt that went to the press instead of using the chain of command (or the IG) also needs to be beaten with a sack of doorknobs. Instead of putting on his big boy pants and giving the command (or even his parent command) an opportunity to address or correct the behavior, he decided to go crying to the press.
    Herknav and archer51 like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    Whats wrong with the military personnel of today- the same things that are wrong with society in general. Its not like those Air Force NCO's have been in a warehouse waiting to be used by the Air Force their entire lives. The problems we see on our streets are the same problems the military faces with their personnel.
    l1a1, NYCrulesU and Herknav like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I've been in the Army 14 years now. Looking at it objectively, new troops today are no worse than my peers back when I was a private.
    atctimmy, Sig 210 and jumpwing like this.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Whats wrong with the military personnel of today- the same things that are wrong with society in general. Its not like those Air Force NCO's have been in a warehouse waiting to be used by the Air Force their entire lives. The problems we see on our streets are the same problems the military faces with their personnel.
    Hollywood and television has always been pushing the envelope and it seems to me there is very little left to push.

Words like scumbag and euphemisms like frak or frack are common place on almost every channel and at any time of the day.

Shows and movies like Jackass (using a display toilet at a home depot) and now another one where "friends????" dare each other to do disgusting things do not give any lessons as to decent civil behavior.

Go to Mickey Dee's in SanFran with your kids and the guy/gal in front of you might be BA naked (provided of course that before he sits down to eat he puts a towel over the seat), nothing wrong with naked, but this is a little beyond correct behavior.

What can be expected from people fed this junk wherever they look.

Too disgusted with what's happening to go on.

OMO

bosco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links