Seized and stripped bolt

Seized and stripped bolt

This is a discussion on Seized and stripped bolt within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope some of you more mechanically inclined individuals can help me here. I am changing the rotors on my girlfriends car. It's a pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Seized and stripped bolt

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Seized and stripped bolt

I hope some of you more mechanically inclined individuals can help me here. I am changing the rotors on my girlfriends car. It's a pretty simple job. I got one side done no problem. On the drivers side however, the bolt that holds the caliper onto the caliper bracket is seized and the head of the bolt is now stripped due to my efforts trying to pry it loose. First I tried a lighter to heat it up, then some WD-40 with a breaker bar... No luck. I really don't have the cash to shell out to take it to the dealer. I have a good deal of tools. I really am at a loss of how to get this darn thing off. Any help would be appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Erg, they make stripped nut sockets. The only other suggestion is drilling, or maybe icing the bolt then soak in wd- 40.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Soak it some more, maybe something other than WD 40. I've occasionally had luck with vice grips and a hammer, if you have the room.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

soak it good, wd or someting, whack it with a hammer a few good licks, take the next size smaller socket in a 6 point, and drive it on then use a breaker bar, you may have to go from american to metric or vice versu to get the next smallest, might even give it just a tad of tighten motion before you go to take off mode, to break it loose, if it is an allen head you will need to go with a size bigger of course. if you have to drill it, good luck, but go n buy a left handed drill bit, and go with that and easy out, instead of trying to drill the whole thing out n tap it. would even try good vice grips n hammer before drillling, that should be last resort.....also work about 10 minutes on it n walk away for a few, do not let it get ya too frustrated.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

JerryMac is spot on. Forget WD40... get a can of P'Blaster at the local parts emporium. If you have a steel rod that will fit on the head of the bolt, whack it - hard - with a hammer AFTER you put safety glasses on. An "engineer's hammer" or small sledge is ideal; a regular carpenter's hammer isn't really heavy enough. Spray it, whack it, spray it some more. Come back in an hour and repeat. Patience is a virtue.

FYI, if you apply heat, you'll need at least a propane torch. But don't apply heat to the bolt; that will make it expand which is counter-productive. Instead, heat the part that the thread bolts into. But be careful about your flame - don't accidentally torch a brake hose or the caliper.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Irwin, Makes sockets to do your job, Good Luck ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Thank God I'm a gun owner. I had a can of Break Free CLP laying around. I sprayed the heck out of that bolt and after a few taps with the vice grip... it popped loose. That audible pop was music to my ears Luckily I had an extra bolt to replace it with. This time I put some some grease on the bolts using some Garand grease pots. I'm sore and dirty now. Here is the darn thing that wouldn't come loose... Time for a shower and a nap.

IMAG0070.jpgIMAG0071.jpg

Senior Moderator
    Grease will dry out of a bolt.

Put Felpro on it or NeverSieze and you wont have to worry about it.
    gasmitty and JerryMac like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you can get it in there a small pipe wrench
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Grease will dry out of a bolt.

Put Felpro on it or NeverSieze and you wont have to worry about it.
    Thanks for the advice. I may do that tomorrow, as for now I'm just happy the job is done

Use an Impact Driver and an undersized socket. After you soak it in some kind of rust-buster.

If you are talking about the bolt that holds the caliper on, you may be able to access part of the bolt shaft between the front of the caliper and the attachment point. If you can, you may be able to get a hacksaw or Dremel type tool in there and cut the bolt; that will allow you to remove the caliper and then, with the pressure relieved, you should be able to grab what's left of the bolt with a vise-grips and remove it from there.

Good luck, and remember Rust-Buster/Liquid Wrench/Kroil/WD40 are all your friends. Be liberal, and in no hurry.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Bolts made by sumumabitch bolt company
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

it you dont have Neversieze use Vasaline.

Vice grip is your friend.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    I know that you already got it but, one thing that often works if a bolt head is completely rounded is to grab it really HARD with a Vise Grips and then use a crescent wrench to turn the Vise Grips.
    Pro2A and Rock and Glock like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links