A good read on sheep, sheepdogs and wolves

This is a discussion on A good read on sheep, sheepdogs and wolves within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don't remember seeing this posted here before. Mods, sorry if it has! The site also has some good stuff on vets, etc. http://www.michaelworth.com/on_sheep...heepdogs.shtml PS Make ...

Thread: A good read on sheep, sheepdogs and wolves

A good read on sheep, sheepdogs and wolves

Don't remember seeing this posted here before. Mods, sorry if it has! The site also has some good stuff on vets, etc.

http://www.michaelworth.com/on_sheep...heepdogs.shtml

PS Make sure you read "what is a vet" and "military rules for non military"!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Great reads!

Thanks for the post!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Grossman's sheepdog speech is familiar, but the "what is a vet" and "military rules for nonmilitary personnel" were not. Thanks for posting them. They say what should be said.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Most interesting and informative post.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    This is my favorite:

"(5) Next time you come across an Air Force member, do not ask them, "Do you fly a jet?" Not everyone in the Air Force is a pilot. Such ignorance deserves an ass-kicking (children are exempt)."

+1 on the sheepdogs....and the rules for non military.....just hilarious!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hmmm.

I have a capacity for violence. As far as my fellow citizens go I am empathetic.

But I freely acknowledge that my level of empathy falls a little short of the deep and abiding love toward my fellow citizens of which Colonel Grossman so eloquently speaks.

Does this make me a sheep-puppy? Or a low-rent psycho? A psycho sheep-puppy?

In all seriousness, though, Grossman's first book, "On Killing" was a masterpiece. Actual, systematic, organized, useful thought on killing (just like the title suggests).

I didn't care much for his second book (or at least the second of his books that I read), "On Combat". Lots of glorifying warriors- -nothing's wrong with that, but it wasn't the same sort of detached dissemination of information and communication of ideas that "On Combat" was.

I guess my point is that there are people who aren't sheep, wolves or sheep dogs.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    No one can be "on" 24/7, for a lifetime. Everyone needs down time. But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... "Baa."
    This puts into words what I have thought often, when I am going to "just" run up to the store for milk, or beer. I love it. I will think of this quote for as long as I live.

Now, does anyone know what the word for "that's what I was thinking but couldn't put it into words" is.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links