traffic violation

traffic violation

This is a discussion on traffic violation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got a ticket 80 miles from home, returning from my sisters in Liverpool NY for an early Christmas, for failure to obey a traffic signal. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: traffic violation

traffic violation

Got a ticket 80 miles from home, returning from my sisters in Liverpool NY for an early Christmas, for failure to obey a traffic signal. The Liverpool Parkway is now closed to commercial vehicles because too many trucks have crashed into a low bridge. I guess this now includes pickup trucks like mine that have commercial plates.

So its 10am, Sunday morning, and i get pulled over on the parkway. I was not speeding. Sheriff comes up to car and asks for registration of which i had in hand allready. He never introduced himself or even said why i was being pulled over. I didnt even have a chance to say anything, he just grabbed the info and went to his police car. When he returned to my pickup truck, he notified me of the court date, and was ready to leave. I asked him if could explain the ticket, and he responded "sure, what do you want to know"??? still unsure of why i got a ticket, he said i failed to obey the digital movable sign that stated no commercial vehicles on the parkway. I tried to explain that i live 80 miles away, and was unaware of a new ordinance. He then told me "its all over the news" to which i responded it was not on the local news where i live. He then very rudely stated "do you obey all traffic signals in binghamton?" Ugh...

Okay, so i broke a new ordinance, and will have to pay a fine... no problem, guilty... will send in the ticket and ask the Judge for a reduced fine. Why does the officer have to act like a jerk though? I dont think i would have gotten upset on the rest of my ride home if he had introduced himself as "Good morning, my name is officer X... i pulled you over for driving a truck with commercial plates... this new ordinance was put into effect five weeks ago"... or something along those lines. I gave the officer no disrespect, as i know he is enforcing a law, and trying to protect people from hitting the low bridge, but where was the intro and respect from him????

Just wondering if he could have handled himself with a little better tone??? Maybe he had a bad morning, or is sick of writing tickets to people like myself. Just wanted to vent.

To all the LEO's on this forum, no disrespect to any of you. This was one individual who was doing his job with a gigantic chip on his shoulder. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. His bedside manner isn't the best but he's a cop not a customer service rep.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    A little communication goes a long way.

He apparently does not possess the skill.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    he's a cop not a customer service rep.
    Exactly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Exactly.
    He is a customer service rep though, the way in which in officer serves reflects on both him/herself and the department.

Choosing to be a cop and doing that difficult job day in and day out does not remove the requirement to be personable and treat people with respect.
    tubadude and Divebum47 like this.

Perhaps a visit to court with a proper explanation might yield some positive results?
    atctimmy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Perhaps a visit to court with a proper explanation might yield some positive results?
    +1. I'm pretty sure that I'd go and ask for this one to be reduced or tossed out.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have allready penned out a letter trying to explain myself, and asking for a reduced infraction. I will send it via certified mail/ receipt request.

I treat cancer paitents everyday for the last 17 years... i dont always feel like smiling, but i do it every day out of respect for the patitent. I am not asking for a smile from the officer, just a little respect by explaining the infraction before handing me the ticket.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    He is a customer service rep though, the way in which in officer serves reflects on both him/herself and the department.

Choosing to be a cop and doing that difficult job day in and day out does not remove the requirement to be personable and treat people with respect.
    Granted the cop as described in the OP wasn't much for personality but his lack of a cheery "good morning I'm Mr Rogers, won't you be my neighbor" persona wouldn't warrant a trip to the complaint department in my opinion. That being said, it's not too hard to see how people whos job requires up close interaction with dirtbags doing dirtbag things daily might sometimes be absent the smiley face.

Granted the cop as described in the OP wasn't much for personality but his lack of a cheery "good morning I'm Mr Rogers, won't you be my neighbor" persona wouldn't warrant a trip to the complaint department in my opinion. That being said, it's not too hard to see how people whos job requires up close interaction with dirtbags doing dirtbag things daily might sometimes be absent the smiley face.
    No complaint will be given. He is doing his job... allbeit a little on the harsh side...i highly doubt if the officer was 80 miles from home and made an accident, if he would have appreciated being treated the way he treated me...
    "6 P's of self defense "

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    A lot of times if you explain yourself the Judge will waive the fine. It happened to me about a year ago when I parked in a 'no parking' zone before they put the cones up. I was inside all day and didn't even know they put the street cleaning cones up. I went out the next morning and had a ticket. I paid it, but wanted a hearing. The Judge waived it after I explained the situation. I was issued a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A little communication goes a long way.

He apparently does not possess the skill.
    Exactly. There's a ton of that in the profession. Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

yep, somethings never change, must be planet Earth then.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. His bedside manner isn't the best but he's a cop not a customer service rep.
    Well, if he doesn't want to deal with the public, I'm sure there are other positions for him behind a desk out of the public view.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I would contact the DA and ask if there is a difference between commercial vehicles, obviously meant for large trucks in this case, and standard vehicles with commercial tags. The way the officer is viewing this, a construction supervisor in a pickup truck is the same as an 18 wheeler. That's simply ridiculous. But you might be stuck with it, lot's of towns up north have their own commercial vehicle laws and it's a real money maker for them.

My step dad used a bridge in Va. The bridge was the easiest way out of the warehouse he was delivering to. It was not signed on his side of the bridge, but it was signed on the other side. Which he did not use to get there. He was hit for an overweight ticket by the city. But he was under 80K lbs. The city decided to lower the weight limit drastically. His fine was $19,500. Luckily for him the owner of his company is not the type to roll over and play nice. They are fighting it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links