Perry Suggested He Carries A Concealed Firearm

This is a discussion on Perry Suggested He Carries A Concealed Firearm within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just watched a news segment talking about Rick Perry. They said that in an interview with Politico, he strongly suggested that he carries a concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Perry Suggested He Carries A Concealed Firearm

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Just watched a news segment talking about Rick Perry. They said that in an interview with Politico, he strongly suggested that he carries a concealed firearm.

No judgment here or any attempts to make comments about Perry per-se, but I'm wondering how many political figures really carry a concealed firearm. Given that I carry as a private citizen, I think it goes without saying that I would carry as a political figure. I'm not sure, however, how wise it would be to say or suggest that you carry if you are a political figure the same as I don't broadcast as a private citizen.

JD
    Administrator
    No politics means no politics!!!!!

. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.

Keep it gun related or dont post.

I know that Diane Fienstein (d-ca) carry's a concealead weapon. It was leaked by one of her staffer's in the 90's.

VIP Member
    It would be interesting to know who does or does not carry especially if it is someone as anti-gun as fienstein or schumer.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think if I were president, I'd carry a really nice decked out 1911; it just seems suitable. In my mind's eye, I'm seeing polys as being used for secret service carry and an Ed Brown or something like that as VP & Presidential carry. ;-)
    msgt/ret likes this.

If I were a manufacturer, I'd even consider coming out with a presidential model. It could have nice scroll work with gold inlays, etc.
    gunsnroses and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    If I were a manufacturer, I'd even consider coming out with a presidential model. It could have nice scroll work with gold inlays, etc.
    ....And not have the manufacturer or the NRA present him with it, but rather a everyday citizen or maybe a Vet.....maybe a purple heart vet?
    DefConGun likes this.

I know Heath Shuler-D from NC carries and IIRC he ran his staff through the CC course. That came out after the Giffords incident. He's pro 2a AFAIK, so no hypocrisy there like some of them. I don't know for sure about my local reps, but they are very pro 2a.

BTW, Perry would have to carry pretty regularly seeing as he shot a coyote while jogging with his dog a while back. It's not big secret that he carries now.

Texas Gov. Perry fatally shoots coyote
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It would be interesting to know who does or does not carry especially if it is someone as anti-gun as fienstein or schumer.
    - If they're anti, they can simply hire armed guards. This way, they can keep their reputation clean.

I doubt very much that the SS would allow a president to CC...it could interfere with their protective work.OMO
    I would hope every public figure would carry...and the same should be true for EVERY private citizen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I didn't know about Perry shooting a coyote. I say more power to him and don't down fall him a bit for carrying.

Here's an interesting thought. No matter who gets the Republican nomination, I'm betting that protocol won't allow said candidate to carry while he's debating Obama. I'm sure there's very strict regulations as to who's allowed to have a firearm when in direct vicinity of the President.

I'm from Plano, TX and the story about Rick Perry shooting a coyote that went after is dog while out walking is well known. Whether or not you like Mr. Perry, he is a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights......

when I lived in Houston, Anne Richards was Governor and vowed to veto the Texax Concealed Carry Law that was due to come up for vote in 1994. Guess who promised the Texas citizens that he would pass the law if elected? Yep. W.

Pretty sure one of the first laws he signed as Governor was the Texas CCW Law, and he beat Anne Richards by a freaking land slide.
    Texans like their guns....don't Mess with them. And if you want a political career in that State today.....if you don't have a gun, you had best be buying one.
    baren and garyacman like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Can Senators or Congressmen carry all 50 & DC or are they under the same laws as we are WRT reciprocity, state CCW law, etc?
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Given that I carry as a private citizen, I think it goes without saying that I would carry as a political figure. I'm not sure, however, how wise it would be to say or suggest that you carry if you are a political figure the same as I don't broadcast as a private citizen.
    I suppose it would greatly depend on which party you represent. If you are of a party that tends to be anti-gun you'd better keep it a secret. Of course even a pro-gun party doesn't want to overly magnify the issue because they might run off moderates. So it is best to sort of make it known for those who want to know, but not to broadcast it to the world constantly.

I think it is good policy for politicians to carry. Unless you are president or something very high up, you can't have armed guards around you all of the time. If somebody was planning some kind of assassination or kidnapping attempt, they might think twice before attempting it on one who is known to carry.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links